Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victa carby questions

Thanks

Previously I had one with the pull cord that was in a housing and the fuel tank sitting behind it. I cannot remember exactly but there was an issue with the pull cord. Simple solution remove the bolts holding the pull cord housing.. To start simply place the pull cord housing on the motor and remove when the motor started. I used it like this for years - anything I could push the mower through it cut. Wonderful machine.

Anyway one day while mowing the lawn the plate complete with blades sheared off and whizzed across the yard - no injury to anyone. Director, Finance and Planning said, "Time to buy a new one with a catcher". It finished up in the tip. Enter the current mower.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

House-mate here has an extensive collection of old Victa mowers, all the way back to the first Mk1 'toe-cutter' models. Victa had a few stabs at the plastic carby, the final incantations (LM) worked best. The engine itself is very reliable, and long wearing, plus much cheaper/simpler to work on, less maintenance, blablabla. The Victa 2stroke also has a long development history, which remained basically the same over decades, with evolutionary improvements included series after series. By the time they got to the 160cc 'powerstroke' 2stroke engine, they'd pretty much mastered the engine and had it honed down to suit purpose very well.

One of my mate's has an old green ride-on mower ('Craftsman' brand perhaps) -- it's powered by the Victa '500 Twin' 2cyl 170cc 2stroke engine (the '500' referring to the width of cut (500mm/19.7")

They're very much a dedicated low-speed 2stroke power head, and nothing like high-speed 2strokes like in chainsaw or motorbikes etc ; it's why they last so long =)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12