Thread: Configure new receiver after old receiver died

Thanks

Default Configure new receiver after old receiver died

A neighbor had a working dish setup and was receiving a few Italian channels, RAI I believe. However their receiver box (A Sonystar brand one) died with a red light on the front and no HDMI out or normal front panel display.

First question, would any DVB-S capable receiver be OK? I am looking at the GTMedia V7 Pro, simply because it is a much cheaper option and they are a pensioner with not much spare money. He said this was already his second Sonystar at $200 a pop.

Second question is how to configure it. Any previous settings were in the now dead Sonystar. I got a few tips from this forum already around voltage levels for horizontal and vertical, I think RAI is on Intelsat 19 and is horizontal which means 18V. The dish should be already aligned as it was working only a few days ago. The thing that have me worried is finding the LO setting for the LNB, as I read each LNB can be different, and any other LNB settings that may have been in the old receiver to make it work. Do I need to go up on the roof to find out what LNB brand and model it is? Or are there a fixed number of LO values I can try until one works?

Thanks for any help.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You will need a decoder for DVB-S2 which the GTMedia V7 Pro will do.

According to Lyngsat RAI on IS19 has the following settings:
    Freq 12726 Horizontal. SR 28066 FEC 3/4

The LNB LO will likely be 10700. If not, try 11300.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

I thought I19 ku Rai service was scrambled. If so be aware some of the GT media boxes have difficulty reading certain cards so it might not work. If it's the C band service then the GT media box should be fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
    I thought I19 ku Rai service was scrambled. If so be aware some of the GT media boxes have difficulty reading certain cards so it might not work. If it's the C band service then the GT media box should be fine
    Yes - the IS19 is scrambled. I'm guessing it was the Asiasat service instead. Is the dish a large mesh one or a foxtel style dish?

Thanks

actually, I think the answer was in the OP = a few Italian services. only IS19 has 4 so it would be Irdeto 2 encrypted feeds.

Thanks

Rai Italia Asia... FTA on
    Note that nowadays there's the added challenge of overcoming 5G emanating from the telco towers and so in addition to the V7 Sat box you also need a narrow band 3.8-4.1 GHz LNB with inbuilt 5G filter, can set you back another $100.-

More info on 5G see...
    Last edited by B52; 01-02-22 at 12:44 AM.

Administrator
    Thanks

BigJohnno66, can you advise the size of the dish, and/or other info to determine if your neighbour was receiving RAI on C-band or Ku-Band.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

Just a follow-up. It appears I was wrong on the Satellite, it was AsiaSat 5. The receiver has Auto for most of the options and I simply did a full scan. After seeing the channels that got detected, I figured out from lyngsat that it was AsiaSat 5. I still have no idea of the LNB's LO setting, the scan appeared to try various settings and managed to pick stuff up. I think it picked up the transponder twice as Rai Italia Asia scanned on channels 36 and 66.

The channels were Rai Italia Asia and Vatican Media. I also noticed a slew of BBC channels and a TDM Macau channel which pretty much confirms the satellite.
    Last edited by BigJohnno66; 08-02-22 at 04:12 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

So it's C-Band then. (large dish)

The most common LO for C-Band LO is 5.15GHz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnno66 View Post
    it picked up the transponder twice as Rai Italia Asia scanned on channels 36 and 66.
    It means the LNB Vertical and Horizontal orianantion is not optimized and you are not getting the maximum available signal from each transponder.
    You should only pick up RAI max once.