Thread: Software issue

Thanks

Default Software issue

I am not a programmer. Indeed, I have just enough knowledge and experience to run the computers and software for my PC (in the past) and Mac (currently) laptops, tablets and phones. I need some advice from those knowledgeable in this field.

Two years ago I employed a Perth-based software company to write an App for Mac and Android. It took some writing and re-writing to get where it was acceptable, and the bill for this was $5500. It went onto iTunes and Google Play, where it was available to download for free. I did not charge for it - I considered this a gift to aid my patients (I am psychologist) and others who had a similar need.

Two years down the track, and both iTunes and Google Play no longer will retain it for download as they moved from 32-bit to 64-bit software.

What I want to know is whether the software company should have been aware that the app they were writing would end up outdated within two years? If so, are they responsible for either refunding the costs or re-writing the app under 64-bit? I have approached them, and they just palmed me off with "we were taken by surprise as well" (which I do not believe).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Moved thread to correct section.

The topic isn't an issue with software, but asking for opinions of a legal question.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

The situation you describe is very common and unfortunately it’s just a side-effect of the massive rate of change in this industry. There is always something new around the corner and the manufacturers don’t always let the developer community know what is coming. Having said that, the transition to 64-bit was well publicised before it occurred.

Fixing the problem shouldn’t require a complete re-write of the application, It may require some changes, but usually it’s just a matter of re-compiling for the 64-bit OS.

$5,500 is _very_ cheap for writing an app for both Android and Mac by the way.

[Edit: the developer may have been taken by surprise that the app was removed from the online stores]
    Last edited by shred; 05-02-22 at 06:53 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Thanks mtv (..you don't get enough thanks =)...

Ummm...this'll depend what contract obligations/stipulations were involved between you and the software developer...ie; what you asked for and what you were provided with. expected lifetime (of the product)...blabla...the actual legalese used matters.

Regarding the shift to 64bit only (wrt playstore, dunno about itunes) ...that announcement was made Dec 2017, giving developers a heads-up this was kicking off in Aug 2019...

They released another update clarifying the situation and pending change in Jan 2019....

The current documentation pertaining to this, explaining what an app needs to be, or, what you need to do to make a 32bit app post Aug 2019 compliant....

If the app was created/written post 1st Aug 2019, you would have a fair and reasonable expectation that it should have been created with 64bit compatibility (or had been a multilib app containing both 32 and 64 bit versions).

If the app was created/written before that date, it becomes polemical, in that the app developer may indeed not have been aware of the pending future changes (however unlikely as that may be =)

In essence, 32bit apps aren't banned in any way, but to be accepted onto playstore now, they must provide a 64bit version as well...ie; depending on how much custom code/libraries are used in the app, dictates how easy/hard it would be to create a 64bit version of the app ...but more so than less, the whole app doesn't need to be rewritten, as per the last doc I linked to above.

As to whether or not the original software developer is obliged to do these things, depends on when the original app was created, and what your contract with the software developer looks like.

HTH

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies so far. It is helpful - no less frustrating, unfortunately, as I cannot afford to spend more to get the app going again. I was hoping, as an alternative, that I could host the app on my website instead, and it could be downloaded from there. I was told that this is not possible. I wonder whether it could be run from my website? .... just looking for ways to keep it alive for all.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    Many thanks for the replies so far. It is helpful - no less frustrating, unfortunately, as I cannot afford to spend more to get the app going again. I was hoping, as an alternative, that I could host the app on my website instead, and it could be downloaded from there. I was told that this is not possible. I wonder whether it could be run from my website? .... just looking for ways to keep it alive for all.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    You are allowed to host your own app for distribution, and not use the Google playstore ..skip down to 'Releasing from a website' -->

..I've no idea about itunes...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Wish more developers would also publish outside of the Google mafia.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (10-02-22),enf (07-02-22),nesir (13-02-22)

• 25-03-22, 06:35 PM