Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV Signal Strength Meter - Cheapo or pay many $$$

Premium Member
    Thanks

Looking at the picture your antenna is pointin more to the left.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

GT250 (10-02-22),wotnot (09-02-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

You haven't answered my question about which channels you're receiving.

I'm not talking about the digital LCN's 5,6, 50, 60 etc that your TV displays, but the actual RF channels.

40 to 48..or 29 to 33.

In your pic, there's a security camera mounted on the antenna pole... right next to the antenna.

It could be interfering.

Turn the camera off and see if that makes a difference to your TV reception.

A cheap signal meter for around $20... don't waste your money (or time).

I posted a link to what I would consider a bare minimum for a meter that reads ALL the required signal info... not just signal strength.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

GT250 (10-02-22),gulliver (09-02-22),lsemmens (16-02-22),wotnot (09-02-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

I've plotted the signal path to the main Mt. Tamborine TX from your location.

Your antenna alignment will be parallel to the straight section of Open Drive (behind the industrial buildings).

Other than the security camera, (that one really stands out to me) solar panels/inverters can also cause interference.

Cellular towers as already discussed, something in neighbouring properties, industrial estates, etc.

Again, have you physically and electrically checked the antenna, all connections and condition of the coax?

Moisture ingress into cables and connectors is a common issue.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Premium Member

Thanks

Hi MTV,

The camera was put on last year. The Tv signal has been off for close to 10yrs. I rarely watch FTA as i get what I what from Torrent sites (Anything that's out in the States, I get the next day)
    But now the missues has changed jobs and wants to watch the TV now and again.

The cable runs were all updated with thick RG6 and all F type connections when the Foxtel Dish was put in (3mths Free offer at the time - so why not! I don't watch Foxtel and we don't have it , STB, now).
    That meter was a bit to much ($230 for now), particularly for a one off event.

When I get back, I'll move the antenna as a first elimination process . The more I look at the pictures (DOH!), I can see it's not the same as next door. All the other antennas I see are the flat square grid type, nothing 'pointing'.

Administrator
    Thanks

Again... what RF channel numbers do you receive.... 40 to 48..or 29 to 33.

The antenna in the pics on your neighbour's house looks similar to yours, but the 'flat' type (phased array) is just a different design, both types are suitable and both need to be aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by GT250
    The Tv signal has been off for close to 10yrs.
    Are you saying you've had this reception issue for about 10 years?

A lot of things have changed around you in that time, tree growth, buildings, industry, cellular and other electrical and RF potential interference.... etc.

It's possible you may need an antenna replacement, relocation or height change.

Antenna mounting position can be critical, even a meter in any direction (left, right, up, down) can make a huge difference.

As suggested, try a cellular 4G LTE filter.

Other than things already discussed, it's impossible without being there with instrumentation to know exactly what the issue is.

Premium Member

Thanks

Hi all,
    Well, managed to get on the roof after the rain and move the antenna, guesstimating the direction as best I could to the neighbours.
    And the channels are now fine, no pixilation at all over every channel.
    I'll connect the bedroom cable to the 4 way splitter later and test that in the week.

The original U bolt nuts had rusted to buggery and I ended up snapping the bolt - so off to Bunnings - and drilling out the existing holes as the new U-Bolt was to big!

I had bought (and it has arrived), a 240v amplifier, called Kingray, $65 as I was convinced it was a low signal issue.

Kingray TV Signal Booster Splitter Amplifier SA164F F Type/LED Power Indicator

So what do I do with it now?
    Does anybody want it?
    Should I install it for the heck of it?
    Should I open it up and we can all see what's inside

Anyway people, thank you so much for all your help and advise.
    Cheers,
    GT250.

• The Following User Says Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (16-02-22)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12