Thread: Unimig Viper plasma cut 40

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Default Unimig Viper plasma cut 40

Got one of these on the bench ATM ~ customer complaint = low output at cutter tip

I've checked the bulk caps (95% of rated), rectifier bridge, HV choppers, output inductor, and hispeed output diodes...all seems good.

Decided to check resistance of lead from unit power output to hand piece tip...open circuit, doesn't matter of handle piece trigger is depressed or not.

I know some plasma cutters have a spark gap in the torch head, which would account for the readings, but for the life of me I cannot find out if these have a spark gap in the torch head or not (many don't)

Anyone know?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I always buy the cheap chinese types and they constantly break down with usually the spark gap ,in the machine ,giving trouble.
    No gap in torch head as I have seen so maybe thats on unimig only.

The handpiece switch on these is just that a 2 wire switch that comes back to the board in the machine . Doubt this post will help you much but lets you know someone is reading and watching. Please post back your results.
    My Health , my Family and my Property are not Government business. Governments should do what they were designed to do . Govern the issues that are best done by a central body in the country to protect it from foreign invasion.State Governments and Local Councils should be abolished to stop the duplication and waste of funds.

To defeat corruption in the public service , give them three times the penalty. Have them agree on hiring.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Thanks for the interest ~ I found no fault in the electronics, but I believe the issue was caused by the insulation sleeve around the cutter tip had eroded to the point the tip was getting too close to the work, and was drawing an arc to the metal (direct), instead of just plasma being blown by the airstream.

The hand piece does in fact have a plasma chamber under the cutting tip, so me measuring an open circuit there is quite normal ; owner has bought a replacement insulation sleeve, so we'll see if that was indeed the problem.

You post back after owner tries it out =)