Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: TV choice

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    30

    Default TV choice

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for some guidance on a new TV for a small theatre room. Our room is only 2.5w so we have a small area and was thinking something like a wall mounted 65" 4K TV. Since we will be using Apple TV, Google TV and PS5 only on the TV, things like tuner and smart TV apps are of no consequence. Even the remote response is a moot point as the TV will simply be turned on, a source selected (HDMI 1, 2 or 3) and possible volume used (although Google TV and Apple TV can control that too).

    So I guess I am looking more for a monitor more than anything...therefore will I get away for a low to medium end TV brand ? Hisense, TCL, Kogan?

    Even 4K to be honest goes over my head. I have been happily viewing the latest Netflix, Stan and PS5 gaming in standard 1080P and I've tried 4K on our Hisense TVs and I don't like it much anyway.

    As for sound.....we will have 5.1Ch setup in the room but I suppose the gaming or random Netflix episode of the latest Stranger Things might just get viewed listening to the TV speakers.

    Any advice would be appreciated.



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Senior Member
    freakee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    somewhere warmer
    Posts
    1,418
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 740 Times in 395 Posts
    Rep Power
    402
    Reputation
    8654

    Default

    Hey GD - welcome to Austech

    it really comes down to budget - miniLED, ULED LED are the same technology, OLED will cost more, but due to the difference with construction, blacks are blacker

    all of them need a good sound bar/surround sound system, but most are suffice with speakers

    get some $$ in mind - wander in to the shops and ask


    f
    有段者

  • The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

    geedata (13-02-22)

  • #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Reputation
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    Hey GD - welcome to Austech

    it really comes down to budget - miniLED, ULED LED are the same technology, OLED will cost more, but due to the difference with construction, blacks are blacker

    all of them need a good sound bar/surround sound system, but most are suffice with speakers

    get some $$ in mind - wander in to the shops and ask


    f

    Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. At this stage I will rule out OLED purely due to the fragility and cost of those. I suppose I'm cutting my budget off at $1,400 if that helps paint a better picture. In a perfect world...under $1K but I may not be being realistic here. Hoping some people might have experiences to share that will help me too.

    I will probably also setup a soundbar on the TV so that we don't always have to turn on the amp in the room as to be honest I'd hazard a guess and say that 90% of the time the viewing in there will be either PS5 game play and streaming TV shows. 10% will be actually movie viewing.

  • #4
    Senior Member
    freakee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    somewhere warmer
    Posts
    1,418
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 740 Times in 395 Posts
    Rep Power
    402
    Reputation
    8654

    Default

    We have a couple of Hisence LCD's (couple years old now) - they have never missed a beat and sound good too. We have a brand new LG - OLED 65" and that is a really clear panel - long story short - son purchased a OLED for his xbox s and the sales person miss informed him about a particular model and refresh rate, got it home and they informed they sold him the wrong one, so he got a great deal on the one he should have purchased (I would say team member price) - and we got his old (new) one at an awesome discount as well.

    We did purchase a good sound bar Samsung 5.1.4 and it is an awesome setup that will last us a while

    JB have put out their latest catalogue and have this - for $1.2k which is a far cry from the first plasma 42" @ $17K -


    f
    有段者

  • The Following User Says Thank You to freakee1 For This Useful Post:

    geedata (13-02-22)

  • #5
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,628
    Thanks
    215
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 539 Posts
    Rep Power
    591
    Reputation
    19304

    Default

    On the remote control side, all TVs should come with HDMI-CEC, which is effectively a (somewhat) agreed control standard.

    Whatever TV you get, you should therefore be able to control all your attached peripherals (Apple TV, Android, DVD player, amp, Foxtel, etc) from the one supplied TV remote.

    In one room I have a LED 65” Hisense from ~2018. I have an Apple TV, amp, Blu-ray player and (sometimes) a Foxtel box all attached, and everything works with the one supplied TV remote. Saves having a bunch of other remotes lying around, or using one of the clunky ‘universal’ remote controls.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

    geedata (13-02-22),william10 (11-02-22)

  • #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Reputation
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freakee1 View Post
    We have a couple of Hisence LCD's (couple years old now) - they have never missed a beat and sound good too. We have a brand new LG - OLED 65" and that is a really clear panel - long story short - son purchased a OLED for his xbox s and the sales person miss informed him about a particular model and refresh rate, got it home and they informed they sold him the wrong one, so he got a great deal on the one he should have purchased (I would say team member price) - and we got his old (new) one at an awesome discount as well.

    We did purchase a good sound bar Samsung 5.1.4 and it is an awesome setup that will last us a while

    JB have put out their latest catalogue and have this - for $1.2k which is a far cry from the first plasma 42" @ $17K -


    f
    Hisense is one of the Worst TV's you can buy, washed out picture, full of blooming and they have a high zone count on there LCD's yet you have BLOOMING. No doubt they cant get the algorithm right otherwise they would have fixed it by now. on wrong. Quality come with a price. I spent $15,500 on a Sony KD85Z9J and if you buy a quality TV like this you need a Quality 4K Players like the Oppo 203 , cost me $1400 second hand and in some places the price of a second hand Oppo you can spend up to $5000 for a second hand unit LOOKY>


    And



    Plus I also got a Panasonic DMP UB 9000 that NOW is better than the Oppo 203, sharper picture, more info needed for any 4K movie like MAXCLL (Maximum Content Light Level) or MAXFALL (Max Frame Average Light Level) plus many other detail that it needed for a good 4K movie that has a Strong Peak Brightness. Yes the Panasonic is cheaper (not by much) but has more features than the Oppo 203. Oppo blu ray player (CHINA) promised when they stopped making players they will still give us firmware upgrade to fix the issue that have plagued the expensive players Like some new 4K Movie wont play on there expensive players yet ok on a Panasonic UB 9000. Hummm Well its China, full of lies.
    Last edited by 5GRUBBISH; 27-08-22 at 01:03 PM.

  • #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    129
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Reputation
    150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geedata View Post
    Hi all,

    I'm looking for some guidance on a new TV for a small theatre room. Our room is only 2.5w so we have a small area and was thinking something like a wall mounted 65" 4K TV. Since we will be using Apple TV, Google TV and PS5 only on the TV, things like tuner and smart TV apps are of no consequence. Even the remote response is a moot point as the TV will simply be turned on, a source selected (HDMI 1, 2 or 3) and possible volume used (although Google TV and Apple TV can control that too).

    So I guess I am looking more for a monitor more than anything...therefore will I get away for a low to medium end TV brand ? Hisense, TCL, Kogan?

    Even 4K to be honest goes over my head. I have been happily viewing the latest Netflix, Stan and PS5 gaming in standard 1080P and I've tried 4K on our Hisense TVs and I don't like it much anyway.

    As for sound.....we will have 5.1Ch setup in the room but I suppose the gaming or random Netflix episode of the latest Stranger Things might just get viewed listening to the TV speakers.

    Any advice would be appreciated.
    This is a Fair TV from Jb's. Its the Base line 65 inch Sony but has a fair price within your budget, Try to keep away from Hisense. TCL and Kogan .

  • #8
    Premium Member
    hoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    59
    Posts
    6,177
    Thanks
    252
    Thanked 4,354 Times in 1,855 Posts
    Rep Power
    1700
    Reputation
    65688

    Default

    The Sony is a good choice, supports hdr but not Dolby vision.

    Most Netflix 4k content is Dolby vision enabled, but will default to hdr.

    Probably not much difference on a non oled screen anyway...

    You will need a soundbar or sound system, TV speakers just don't cut it these days.

    Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    FTTN, 400m line length, bit faster now with 2x100/20 connection via load balancing.....


  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •