Thread: VAST Altech DSD 4121 and 20db in-line amplifier.

Thanks

Default VAST Altech DSD 4121 and 20db in-line amplifier.

Hi everybody,

I am getting some pixelating signal problems with my Altech DSD 4121 Vast decoder. I do know that there has been posts regarding problems with these decoders before but I am trying to improve the reception of the signal.

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with 20db in-line amplifiers. The amplifier much improves the signal level to 100% on the transponders but the signal quality of the transponders drops. Without the in-line amplifier on the cable the signal level drops and the signal quality is much improved.

My question is has anybody else tried 20db in-line amplifiers to a VAST box with any success?

Thanks one and all!

Regards.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

First to answer the question "has anybody else tried 20db in-line amplifiers to a VAST box with any success?" No.

Now to some more info that I hope will be more helpful.

Amps will typically only make the signal level stronger and can even make signal quality worse as they also amplify noise, including self-noise in the amp and can often cause signal overload, which generates more bit errors.

Signal quality is far more important than signal strength.

If your signal quality is low, you need to improve that, not the signal strength (unless that is very low as well.)

Signal quality will be greatly affected by LNB skew, so that's where I'd suggest you start looking... provided all connectors and cabling are in good condition, no moisture ingress, corrosion, etc.

VAST requires critical dish and (particularly) LNB alignment to obtain good signal quality.

If you need more signal... get a bigger dish, rather than an amp.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

David071 (16-02-22)