Thread: CreditCard issues/facts!!

Banned
    Thanks

Default CreditCard issues/facts!!

2 points about fraud & how it's 'not' dealt with here in Australia???

My 'Missus' has had to get 3 new CreditCards, in 4 months, due to either online fraud,
    or the use of 'Skimmers' at ATMS... She has always ended up getting her money back,
    but the biggest problem is the use of "PayPass"/"Tap&Go" for $100 or less purchases!!
    I asked her Bank to remove that feature, but was told that it is an integral part of the
    card, and can 'not' be disabled??? So anyone else can use a card copy, 'without' the
    need of a PIN number, to make repeated purchases??? We want a PIN number for all !!

My son in Adelaide went through the same problem. Yes, he got his money back... BUT,
    prior to that, he of course reported it to the Police. Now they HAD actually looked at the
    video footage from those stores/times, and said they can actually SEE the actual perpetrators,
    they will NOT follow up, as the bank has paid him back? They said it is up to the Bank now
    to follow up, if they choose to, but that they never do!!! W.T.F. ???

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (21-02-22)

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    I asked her Bank to remove that feature, but was told that it is an integral part of the
    card, and can 'not' be disabled???
    I just use a hobby knife to make a 'surgical' incision to cut the antenna at the edge of the card.
    With a strong LED flashlight you can usually shine through the card to see exactly where the thin wire is and also confirm the break.
    Has no effect on the chip.
    Been doing this for years.

Banks don't give a rats about the occasional fraud and refund if they have too but most sheeple don't even notice.
    They earn so much on the hidden credit card fees that are already in the sales price and the sheeple love the convenience, so banks and gov have it easy to eventually remove cash entirely.
    Real cash is too much work and therefore expense for banks and we all know why our governments hate it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 16-02-22 at 11:37 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22),enf (17-02-22),gulliver (17-02-22),OSIRUS (21-02-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

yeah it sux , my missus had $5000 fleeced from her credit card a couple of years back , the cards numbers were used at Sydney Airport to buy plane tickets , so it would have been an easy matter to find the perp . But the police did do anything about chasing it up , we got a letter back saying it was too difficult once the crim had left the country...

mine has a zero limit so hopefully it cant happen to me

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    mine has a zero limit so hopefully it cant happen to me
    I don't/won't own one -- my dad was an accountant =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22),VroomVroom (18-02-22)

Thanks

dont have a credit card , but do have a nab credit-debit card that only has $2
    in and when i need a credit card online i will transfer money into to for the
    transaction and thats it

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22),enf (17-02-22),wotnot (18-02-22)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

and said they can actually SEE the actual perpetrators,
    they will NOT follow up, as the bank has paid him back? They said it is up to the Bank now
    to follow up, if they choose to, but that they never do!!! W.T.F. ???

I dont know about SA but in Vic, once the bank pays back the money, the bank becomes the victim and as such THEY have to report the crime to police.

Generally, banks dont do this unless it is large somes of money.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22),gulliver (18-02-22),Johnno (18-02-22),VroomVroom (18-02-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

I also don't have a Ccard.. Only a Debt Visa Card that holds bugger all $$ and I transfer to it what I need.
    Has worked well for many many years.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-02-22),wotnot (18-02-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

card, and can 'not' be disabled???
    So just don't use it, always insert the card and use it that way.

There are of course people who go one step further and kill the NFC by cutting the antenna.
    A drill hole in the right place is all that it takes. It reminds me a bit of "How to skin a fox"
    I can't say I can remember where the wire antenna is in the card. If I had all my gear set up I'd just X-ray a card.
    A quick search for an X-ray image of card hits the jackpot. Comparing a couple of different cards, I'd put a hole in the top left corner and and that would have a good chance of ####ing the antenna.

.... he of course reported it to the Police. Now they HAD actually looked at the
    video footage from those stores/times, and said they can actually SEE the actual perpetrators,
    they will NOT follow up, as the bank has paid him back?
    THIS SHIT appears to be the common mode of operation for SA police. They are fvcking amazing.
    This is laziest policing of the highest order and in NSW an officer will get his arse handed to him or her.
    I don't put up with this shit anymore. I ask the officer if this is a reportable crime or it is a summary offence or an indictable offence.
    A classic example is when my mrs attacked me with a knife. The police just dismissed it and brushed it under the rug.
    My fvcking mistake for listening to a female officer using lazy policing. Of course the domestic abuse continued and got worse.

I have zero tolerance for lazy policing now and I pursue the police for their unlawful inaction.
    Now sure it is not their fault when there is not good evidence to ensure a conviction. I've seen this plenty of times. Pretty obvious from video footage who the gronk is in a video. However, the standard for a conviction has to be higher, if there is any reasonable doubt that it might not be the person then they can't use it as what I call damning evidence.
    It can be supporting evidence. And in some cases it might not even be submitted as evidence, just shown to a solicitor who knows his client is fvcked, it's just a matter of how many nails they're going to use in the crucifixion.

So if it was recent, I would go back and report it again. This time, you make a formal report in writing and take a notepad with you. Write down the officers names of everybody you speak to and also write down everything you ask and they say. It's VERY intimidating and you will get asked what are you doing and why you're doing it.

"Well, I need to keep a record of what was said and who I spoke to because the police have a reputation for not doing their job. So when I report to the police local area command that a reported crime was not taken seriously, I want to be able to accurately recall and state what action was and was not taken.
    If I think the LAC is also covering for their officers, then I'm going to be reporting it to my local member and the opposition party.

Short of that, if laziness goes all the way to the top, then I'm sure it will make a great media story or failing that I could just report it myself on facebook.
    In which case if they police then think they might have a case for defamation, well then I'll have some pretty good evidence in court for what was said and who said it.

I've found the notepad very useful. I've mentioned it in other posts here. When dealing with an AVO (see above domestic abuse) which I was not the subject, I had firearms issues. The police, acted outside the law. They denied that, I held them to account. The local police passed the buck. I wrote down the names of the officer and the sergeant and proceeded up the food chain. It went all the way to the top and at every step of the way another person incriminated themselves and when they realised it, passed it up the food chain.
    It was a legal clusterfvck. "Just doing our job" is one of my favourite comments. Well when you're doing your job wrong, it makes you liable. You might be protected by the organisation, but that doesn't make you're right, it just makes you lazy. It doesn't make you unaccountable and "IF" and when somebody higher up the food chain than you agrees with me, then I have some really good evidence of everybody who is accountable.

As for the gronks committing the crimes. Set up your own sting. My personal method would be to go in and learn the scam. When you know how it works and who is involved, you go in with the video running collecting evidence and confronting them face on. Dump that shit on an anonymous youtube page. You could try media but I doubt they're interested in anything but plugging merch these days.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    I dont know about SA but in Vic, once the bank pays back the money, the bank becomes the victim and as such THEY have to report the crime to police.

Generally, banks dont do this unless it is large somes of money.
    That's not how it worked when my card ID was stolen & used fraudulently.

What happened is, I reported the unauthorised transactions to VISA credit card fraud department. They got me to fill in a form & send it to them identifying the fraudulent transactions, they then reversed the transactions, based on the credit card terms of service, that it is up to the vendor to correctly identify the card user for the transaction.

So I got the money back, the bank, or VISA in this case, lost nothing but the time to reverse the transactions. The vendors were the ones left out of pocket. They eventually tracked me down & demanded I pay up, one even put a debt collector onto me. I wrote back to all of them, as I was advised to by legal aid, stressed that they were the victim of fraud & should follow up on the person that made the transaction & that my legal advisor had told me not to pay them.
    They left me alone, problem solved & legal aid told me that they could fix any credit rating issues if they affected me in the near future, which I didn't need.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I just use a hobby knife to make a 'surgical' incision to cut the antenna at the edge of the card.
    With a strong LED flashlight you can usually shine through the card to see exactly where the thin wire is and also confirm the break.
    Has no effect on the chip.
    Been doing this for years........ etc...
    Yea, I get you, but the PROBLEM is not so much the Missus ACTUAL card, but the skimmers/scammers
    having a COPY of her Card, by many other means, that can be (is!) used for the likes of "PayPass/Tap&Go"
    to make multiple purchases for $100 or less, without the need for a PIN number!?...
    I will do as you say, for HER Card so that it can't be 'scanned'. Thanks!! And I will try to get the limit set to zero!
    Our Cards are not CREDIT cards as such, but DEBIT Master Cards. Thanks everyone!!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Yea, I get you, but the PROBLEM is not so much the Missus ACTUAL card, but the skimmers/scammers
    having a COPY of her Card, by many other means, that can be (is!) used for the likes of "PayPass/Tap&Go"
    to make multiple purchases for $100 or less, without the need for a PIN number!?...
    I will do as you say, for HER Card so that it can't be 'scanned'. Thanks!! And I will try to get the limit set to zero!
    Our Cards are not CREDIT cards as such, but DEBIT Master Cards. Thanks everyone!!
    yep, a copy of the card is what they must use. In my case, preceding the ID theft, I had rented a car at Sydney airport & the Indians running the rental booth took a photo copy of both sides of my credit card & drivers license. I even asked them why they needed to do that, as no one had done that before when renting a car or anything else for that matter. They said it was for security purposes. I suspect one them was selling the ID info on the black market.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (23-02-22),enf (21-02-22),william10 (21-02-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Well the easiest way to copy the card is through the working antenna.
    Years ago I once wanted to pay for petrol with my EFTpos card but to my surprise the attendant told me it was already paid.
    Turned out the scanner already picked up my debit card inside my wallet about 20cm away while I was taking out the EFTpos card.
    If the legit scanner can do that then it is no biggie to build something with a more extended range.

From then on I decided to always cut the wire immediately after I receive a new card, due to expiry.
    I have never had an issue with any alleged copies of my cards. I also never hand out my cards. That was a rule years ago never give anybody your CC.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-02-22 at 01:04 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (23-02-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If the legit scanner can do that then it is no biggie to build something with a more extended range.
    Yes. A colleague was on holiday in Europe (pre COVID) and watched a guy walking through a crowd with a briefcase. He was holding the briefcase oddly and appeared to be brushing past people with it. It seemed obvious that he had some kind of NFC device in the briefcase that was harvesting card data from the people he walked past.

My colleague alerted the local security people, but they couldn't have cared less.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I suspect one them was selling the ID info on the black market.
    Makes me wonder which company it was, because if it was one of the regular companies that is something I'd be reporting to them and probably the AFP.

My mum had a card skimmed years ago by one of the petrol stations in Liverpool. I'll go with a bit of racism and say there were some brown people involved.
    This in the days before contactless cards. They had two methods of skimming. The first was just a camera above the counter and slightly behind the customer to catch their pin number. They recovered the card number with another camera hidden on the side of the counter.
    She reported the scam transactions but they were three months after the place she used the card. The bank was already well aware of it by then and fixed it instantly.

Interesting was that a friend not long after that went to a service station almost next door. But like me, he's a bit switched on to unusual behaviour.
    He swiped his card the the eftpos machine just gave him a legit looking error message after entering his pin. The attendant said, ah we always have problems with that one, try this one which of course worked fine. It didn't sit right with my friend who after having a day to think about it reported it to the fuzz, who did nothing about it. He reported it to his bank and they cancelled and replaced his card straight away and got all the details.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Hmmm... Just a closing statement. Thanks for all the informative replies!!
    As I stated, we don't use 'Credit' Cards as such, but 'Debit' MasterCards, that we place what ever money we
    require in, from time to time. The reason being that 'sometimes' you HAVE to have a 'credit' style card, like when
    renting a car! They are not interested in Cash, as they need to be able to track you if you nick off with their car!
    They are an unfortunate necessity today, for numerous transactions. However... I fail to understand, (even if WE
    disable the cards 'aerial, how copied skims & online fraud can not only have the ability for 'others' to make purchases,
    but that to alleviate that, Banks can't/won't disable the under $100 Tap&Go ability upon request!!! Too hard basket.....

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

......Banks can't/won't disable the under $100 Tap&Go ability upon request!!! Too hard basket.....
    Commonwealth allows card holders to choose, been that way for a while now.

Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-02-22),wotnot (23-02-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Commonwealth allows card holders to choose, been that way for a while now.

Yep, same here - proximity/tap is optional (default is to issue one unless holder requests otherwise)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-02-22)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yep, same here - proximity/tap is optional (default is to issue one unless holder requests otherwise)
    My cards wear tinfoil hats when not in use, not sure how effective that is against grubs walking past with scanners, but touch wood no issues so far.
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-02-22)