Thread: eBay Sellers - Deceptive and misleading advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default eBay Sellers - Deceptive and misleading advertisements

Winner for this week - another seller off with the fairies.

We have seen it all before, but.... (shakes my head).

Listed title: Handheld UV-10R Walkie Talkie Dual Band UHF VHF Two Way FM Ham Radio High Power.
    Should be: Handheld UV-10R UHF & VHF Raadio

Listed range and power: 180km and 300 Watts.
    Should be (divide by 100): 1.8km and 3 Watts.

This is deceptive, misleading and false advertising.
    Noting the seller states as being located in Sydney, I wish the ACCC will take action and deal these FRAUDS a hand of the law.

For those that have some clue about radios, will know 300 Watts is very high power.
    That high power has a higher radiation level requiring some physical distance between the antenna and a person; something this handset could never offer.

Last edited by Xplorer; 28-02-22 at 10:56 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

ammlione (01-03-22),eaglem (01-03-22),wotnot (01-03-22)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

The 50,OOOmaH (50 Amp Hour ) Battery would be a bit big for a hand held.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-03-22),wotnot (01-03-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,535 Posts

ACCC needs to be made aware of it ; then seller goes 'my bad, we use advertising media supplied by supplier' (in CN), or 'we make typo' ....wash, rinse, repeat =)....

...but then, these have been around for a year, they started out at 10watts (and they only make 5watts), word gets out they're junk, ppl stop buying so they advertize 300watts to lure in idiots (sorry, idiots...I don't mean to offend)....but seriously, who on earth would think you could get a 300w handheld...for roughly AU$50?.....I know it's deceptive, wrong and everything else...but baseline -- 'common sense' .....(and looking at that listing more than 250 ppl verify common sense is dead =) **

**unless they're shrewd like me, identify the scam, and figure $50 for 5watts is useful, buy it (from CN -not- local), have test gear to prove power output isn't right, "item is not as described", and get a free radio and refund 8)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ammlione (01-03-22),eaglem (01-03-22),Uncle Fester (01-03-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

... figure $50 for 5watts is useful, buy it (from CN -not- local), have test gear to prove power output isn't right, "item is not as described", and get a free radio and refund 8)
    I second that notion!

Ppl need not always get so fessed up about everything that is obviously lost in translation.
    I have experienced 90% of the time that these sellers have no f'ing clue about what they are selling and I have even got a refund even though I just made an inquiry, not actually asking for refund.

I also have 2 '$50' radios and they are excellent, still working after 5 years and the li-batteries still hold charge very well.

...and depending on the type of antenna I connect (they are removable on my radios) an EIRP of 300W could be theoretically possible.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-03-22 at 11:32 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

ammlione (01-03-22),wotnot (01-03-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post

Listed title: Handheld UV-10R Walkie Talkie Dual Band UHF VHF Two Way FM Ham Radio High Power.

I see no error in the listed title. You NEED at least a Ham license if you want to own/use(with limitations) such a multi band two way radio in Australia, they use FM and the likely 5W is high power, relatively speaking for handheld use.

What you suggest the title should be appears to address the Estonian people, although they might have trouble interpreting 'Handheld', LOL.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-03-22 at 11:10 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

wotnot (01-03-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,535 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Ppl need not always get so fessed up about everything that is obviously lost in translation.
    I have experienced 90% of the time that these sellers have no f'ing clue about what they are selling and I have even got a refund even though I just made an inquiry, not actually asking for refund.
    Lost in marketing translation =)

The sellers typically know aught about what they're selling, like I say they get a media package link that includes all the images and blurbs...ie: the ebay seller doesn't type a thing into their ads, just link to the media pack...(I've rattled this cage before)

If it were me, even if it were stupid me....*I* would think to ask myself "How much does Baofeng sell this model for?"...go to their website to find they don't have this model at all...hehehe...it's a knockoff of a baofeng knockoff of a uniden or somesuch... =)

Like...nothing wrong with this post, it serves as a warning to others....but if ppl don't know there's ripoffs on ebay by now, and can't gel with the concept "if it seems too good to be true, it likely isn't", then pfffft!...insert old saying ; "a fool and his money are soon parted"

Fools had an excuse before the internet ; I don't credit fools now when that resource is there...if you want some real fun...err...pointless fun.....get onto ebay chat, and see how you go reporting this ad as false ; after doing so about other items, I think you'll find what I did -- they prefer the fake ads to be there, so sales can take place (which earns ebay money), and if buyer complains issue a refund (ACCC rights satisfied) ---- why do they do this? Pick a number...of say 200 sales, only 1 buyer is savvy enough to realize they've been had a get a refund, the other 199 don't even know...business as usual B)

Thanks

Remember when they were all selling (even in JBHifi) blue tooth speakers with hundreds of watts audio power?
    This goes back even to the good old Boom Boxes some claiming 1000W PEP! ...whatever that was.
    Most had 6-10 Watt RMS if you were lucky but most people were satisfied because they don't know that even 5Watts can annoy the neighbours and when you double the wattage you barely notice even the difference.

You really had no choice unless you wanted to pay hundreds for known brand name companies, often essentially selling the same thing without the hideous claims.

Would I buy from links like from the OP today?
    Maybe after I looked at reviews that appear to be from legit owners and wanted something dirt cheap but functional because I have the knowledge and experience what I can expect in the real world.

And look at all the junk "As seen on TV" !

Good thing we have the Ebay return policy, still the safest place to buy for me.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-03-22 at 12:07 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    Well, even I can't spell "radio" when I work with them every day.

Maybe it's because I'm at a stage where I see through BS, but it does still frustrate the hell out of me.
    If I made claims and errors like they do in my day job, it will come with ramifications in both directions.

Uncle Fester, yes, technically to buy one and have tx frequencies programed in to it, you require either a Ham licence or to have those tx freqs issued by ACMA.
    But, one trip to Adelaide and a scan of 2m or 70cm bands, will show Ham radio bands are being used by Hillbilly fowlmounthed unlicenced Ham radio operators.
    As a licenced Ham radio operator myself, I was utterly disgusted.

I must say though that if the claimed battery was indeed 50,000mAh, the $47.40 would be a cheap buy for a battery (throw the radio away) and use the battery to charge portable devices.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 01-03-22 at 05:36 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (01-03-22)