Thread: Connecting a TS9 plug to an Aerial Cable.

Thanks

Default Connecting a TS9 plug to an Aerial Cable.

Purchased a 12db aerial Magnet Base with a 3m cable and TS9 plug. I only need to cable to be a max of 30cm, can I cut and join the 3mm cable ( with what loss?)or cut and replace with a TS9 plug ( available from where?)with probably very small connections or simply wrap the cable up and store in a very small modem box along with the modem.

The setup: can mount a 6m Flag pole at the rear of our van with the modem in a plastic box at the top. Aerial connected to the modem along with a USB cable down the middle of the flag pole to the ground and connected to a gelcel battery. Flag pole is earthed.

Flagpole in 6 riveted sections stored in a 75mm stormwater pipe under the van when not in use. Only use when in deep bush, gully or remote for Net access and maybe VOIP.

Thanks

Peter

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Peter,

If it works, I would just bundle the excess cable.

I've never tried terminating a TS9 connector, but I would expect it to be tricky.

If you really need to cut the cable, I suggest making a short tail with the existing TS9 plug fitting SMA connectors to join the cables.

As for loss, even adding SMA connectors in the line... you may actually get a slight improvement (gain) taking off most of the 3 metre cable, which typically is quite lossy, assuming it's RG174.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

PeterInSa (06-03-22)

Thanks

Thanks Will get male and Fem connectors at Jaycar and do a cut/join..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Peter,

If it works, I would just bundle the excess cable.

I've never tried terminating a TS9 connector, but I would expect it to be tricky.

If you really need to cut the cable, I suggest making a short tail with the existing TS9 plug fitting SMA connectors to join the cables.

As for loss, even adding SMA connectors in the line... you may actually get a slight improvement (gain) taking off most of the 3 metre cable, which typically is quite lossy, assuming it's RG174.
    Just wondering about the TS9 connectors. They don't look any trickier than any other small form coax connectors (not that I have used one) But as long as you had the correct crimping tool, they look to be no different in complexity. Or am I missing something?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

As I said I have never terminated a TS9 and you're correct, both are small, but the body of a TS9 is much smaller compared to an SMA etc.

SMA's are readily available, whereas TS9 connectors aren't, they are also push in only and SMA are threaded, so far more mechanically secure which is why I suggested the OP use them.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (11-03-22)

Thanks

A mate suggested I go to an RF shop that gave him good service.

Went there and they suggested don't do the Fem/male connectors just shorten the cable and add the TS9 plug. Me I could not do the connect but they were prepared to do it for me. Day later, shorter cable with the TS9 and the cost $4.75 for the Plug and $7 for labour. I just hope they stay in business at these prices. Great people to deal with.

Looked at my small 12db aerial and in their opinion it was a 2db unit. Comment was ebay adds have different gains for the same aerial ( saw one at 18db)Have purchased a yagi off ebay probably the gain is sus but should be better than 2db. ( Won't ask them the gain as I don't want to know)

Last edited by PeterInSa; 13-03-22 at 01:33 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterInSa For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (14-03-22),mtv (13-03-22)