Thread: Bosch Solution 16 Plus External Siren Volume.

Thanks

Default Bosch Solution 16 Plus External Siren Volume.

Hi all. I have recently installed a Bosch Solution 16 plus at my mother in laws house. The system is all working well. Except one problem.
    I did it from a default install, and programmed the zones, users, EOL resistors etc myself. She used to have an older solution 16, so I just pulled the board out, and reused the PIR’s, door switches, piezo, siren and strobe.

However I’m left with one issue that I can’t seem to resolve. The external siren volume is extremely low. I actually thought it wasn’t working at all until I went outside and got my son to run an external siren test where I noticed it was actually working…..just so quiet I couldn’t hear it from inside.

Everything has been defaulted. I’ve checked the siren volume through settings and it was already set to 15 (which I believe is the maximum).

I can’t find anywhere to upload a picture from my phone (sorry), but I’ve wired it as per the solution 16 plus manual. It’s wired to output 1 and com+ with the tamper switch inline.

Any ideas on why the volume is so low? Am I looking at a faulty siren? Any suggestions on what I may be able to try next?

Thanks very much.

Dave

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Where did you source a Sol 16Plus from? This panel has been discontinued for like 8+ years.

Have you checked if the ext siren is a horn speaker or 12v siren?

If the tamper switch is inline with it, was there also an existing resistor inline with tamper? Normally I just have the tamper on it's own zone input and siren output straight to siren.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    Where did you source a Sol 16Plus from? This panel has been discontinued for like 8+ years.

Have you checked if the ext siren is a horn speaker or 12v siren?

If the tamper switch is inline with it, was there also an existing resistor inline with tamper? Normally I just have the tamper on it's own zone input and siren output straight to siren.
    Hi secure. Thanks very much for replying.

The board came out of my house. I upgraded to a 3000. It was working fine when I removed it from my place. As I said I defaulted it before installing at the in laws.

Im not 100% on the external siren question, but I believe it’s a horn speaker. It looks exactly the sam me as this unit. The only difference is the one I’m working with has more cobwebs in it lol.

There wasn’t a resistor inline with the tamper. I did originally set it up so that the tamper switch was zone 8 (set to 24hr tamper zone) with the siren just straight into com+ and output1. But when I did that, the panel complained about open external siren?? Have I missed something here? Again, no resistors anywhere in the external horn / tamper / strobe setup.

Again thanks for replying. I appreciate any help.

Dave
    Last edited by davus; 07-03-22 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks

I think you may have a 12v Siren and the output 1 is set for Horn speaker. Also could be why siren trouble fault came up.
    Does your existing siren have red and black wires? This would likely mean it's 12v siren
    Maybe connect it across the int siren output and see if it works better. This will prove it's a 12v siren.

Thanks

Hi secure.

I can’t remember what color the wires are for sure, so I would need to check, but I’d put money on them being black wires from memory. The horn would have to be 20 years old I’m guessing. I’m not sure if that helps at all. I can need Kohl’s check this in the next few days.

When you suggest to connect it across the Int siren output, I’m not sure which one to use there.?

I only have:
    Output 1 - Horn Speaker
    Output 2 - Smoke Detector
    Output 3 - Strobe

The piezo is then hooked up across N/O and com+.

Thanks

I think you may have a 12v Siren and the output 1 is set for Horn speaker. Also could be why siren trouble fault came up.
    Does your existing siren have red and black wires? This would likely mean it's 12v siren
    Maybe connect it across the int siren output and see if it works better. This will prove it's a 12v siren.
    Hi secure.

I can’t remember what color the wires are for sure, so I would need to check, but I’d put money on them being black wires from memory. The horn would have to be 20 years old I’m guessing. I’m not sure if that helps at all. I can need Kohl’s check this in the next few days.

When you suggest to connect it across the Int siren output, I’m not sure which one to use there.?

I only have:
    Output 1 - Horn Speaker
    Output 2 - Smoke Detector
    Output 3 - Strobe

The piezo is then hooked up across N/O and com+.

Thanks

If it is a horn speaker, then it could be failing.

Otherwise put it across the piezo output briefly. To test if it is a voltage siren.

Normally the old Sol 16 used a horn speaker.

Thanks

If it is a horn speaker, then it could be failing.

Otherwise put it across the piezo output briefly. To test if it is a voltage siren.

Normally the old Sol 16 used a horn speaker.
    Thanks mate. I’ll try that next time I’m over there. I’ll also remove my external siren and try it at her place as well. At least I know that one works.

Dave