Thread: Finally had FTTN cable fixed

Thanks

Default Finally had FTTN cable fixed

Our NBN FTTN connection has been crap for ages, and got significantly worse a few months ago, where we having 4 or 5 drops a day. Called Exetel and was advised to set the modem to SRA Dynamic. This did have some effect, but I was still drop outs every few days. Then last week it was back to multiple dropouts a day, and the max download speed was going down to around 22Mbps instead of the 45+Mbps I had been seeing. I got back to Exetel and they reported it to NBN and arranged a tech visit.

The NBN tech came today, and reported that one leg was open circuit, and he proceeded to check the connections the boxes on all the poles in the street. He came back and told us:

1. At the start of the Court just down from us, the 50 pair main cable had a 30 pair cable paralleled up, so there was an unterminated length of cable on my line.

2. There was significant corrosion on another box, which was the source of the open circuit.

3. Our cable length is > 980m, so we're lucky to get any service.

The result was that now i'm seeing a max rate of 63Mbps.

This situation is years old. In past times when we had ADSL, we would regularly lose the phone service as the connection would go open circuit, but there would be sufficient capacitive coupling to allow the ADSL to continue. The tech would come, and check all the boxes and the phone would work again for a few more months. Apparently it was legal for Telstra to use t'd cables, as it didn't affect the DC phone system, but NBN SHOULD have fixed all this when they provided FTTN.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jgm For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (08-03-22)

Look Here ->