Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 126

Thread: Covid - anyone here have or had it?

  1. #101
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks
    897
    Thanked 463 Times in 283 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Reputation
    6961

    Default

    well I recko just get it and be over and done with.
    It is at the point the intensity is like the average winter cold that comes through each year

    some get i worse than others. had ai runnng nose for 3 days and then it disppeaed. The previous variants were deadly yes but now ...............



  • #102
    Senior Member
    LeroyPatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N.E. Vic
    Posts
    16,229
    Thanks
    3,527
    Thanked 4,708 Times in 2,795 Posts
    Rep Power
    1647
    Reputation
    46511

    Default

    I thought that to but there are long term effects that only done people get

  • #103
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    6,088
    Thanks
    2,172
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    1921
    Reputation
    77158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    The previous variants were deadly yes but now ...............
    Incorrect!
    On some days we are having with Omicron in Australia 50 deaths per day, on average 20-30.
    Influenza this time last year to date 23 May 2021: none !
    I am an arrogant, irritating RSole.

  • #104
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 669 Times in 358 Posts
    Rep Power
    435
    Reputation
    9505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Incorrect!
    On some days we are having with Omicron in Australia 50 deaths per day, on average 20-30.
    Influenza this time last year to date 23 May 2021: none !
    No flu season last two years thanks to borders closures and lockdowns.
    Alfa and delta had much higher mortality rate comparing to omicron so you are not cosrrect here Fester. Check percentage rates and see for yourself.

  • #105
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    6,088
    Thanks
    2,172
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    1921
    Reputation
    77158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    No flu season last two years thanks to borders closures and lockdowns.
    Alfa and delta had much higher mortality rate comparing to omicron so you are not cosrrect here Fester. Check percentage rates and see for yourself.
    I do check things before I post and you are missing the mark by far.
    You might want to look at Australia's death statistics here:


    At no time, even when we had alpha and delta, were there so many deaths than we have had in 2022 despite current high vaccine uptake.
    While it looks like in that table that the amount of deaths are receding in March/April, it does not take into account that many death registrations are yet to be received.

    It is pointless to waffle on about ratios like deaths per cases, fact is the 3107 deaths alone in the past 4 months dwarfs the numbers of 2020/21 combined.

    So it is not me but you guys who need to get their facts straight when you claim Omicron is not deadly!

    Of course it does not help to be proud that we were World leading in Covid cases per cap a couple of weeks ago.

    Also the herd immunity theory is debunked when people who had Covid are getting infected again as early as 2 months later.
    While we were hoping the newer mutations have a lower mortality, being much more contagious kind of levels that out and explains why we have even more deaths now. Omicron is deadly and those deaths are far more common than a flu.
    Covid+ Flu at the same time, well you can look forward to those numbers soon ...and the next gen mutations.

    I find no statistics how our economy is suffering from all the people who at staying home sick but every where I go, I see lack of service due to Covid, not just in my son's school and I strongly believe the collapse of workforce is harming our economy and is one reason for our high cost of living.

    ...Fester out.
    I am an arrogant, irritating RSole.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

    ammlione (28-05-22)

  • #106
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks
    897
    Thanked 463 Times in 283 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Reputation
    6961

    Default

    yeah yeah yeah, it's the same old story, some people are better than others and lots don't know they have underlying conditions.

    It's the same every disease. TBH I'm over hearing about it all but I guess that's life

  • The Following User Says Thank You to efab For This Useful Post:

    LeroyPatrol (27-05-22)

  • #107
    Premium Member
    hoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    58
    Posts
    6,091
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 4,272 Times in 1,822 Posts
    Rep Power
    1660
    Reputation
    64048

    Default

    I don't believe any of the figures....

    Unless they start releasing stat's of people who have died because of covid, not with covid....

    There are 300 odd people in hospital in WA with covid.

    Not one on a ventilator, so what does that tell you.....

    Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    FTTN, 400m line length, bit faster now with 2x100/20 connection via load balancing.....


  • The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

    enf (27-05-22)

  • #108
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 669 Times in 358 Posts
    Rep Power
    435
    Reputation
    9505

    Default

    @Fester
    You are totally missing the point.
    There is no any sense comparing covid numbers with flu from 2020 onwards.
    Check flu season deaths in 2018 and 2019. Consider the flu season lasts about 3 months and you see the deaths numbers are similar to covid.
    People with underlying problems die from flu at the same rate as with covid.
    Also, there is no point comparing covid numbers in 2022 with previous years or try to put them together. Differnt social situation greatly effects the numbers.
    Economy suffers not because people get sick - they always did and wil do, but due to the isolation requirements forced by governments and some states due to vax mandates.
    If not for above, economy would be affected the same way as during flu season.

    BTW, what would you see as good solution to ease the strain?

  • #109
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    6,088
    Thanks
    2,172
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    1921
    Reputation
    77158

    Default

    Geez fromaron you won't give up, twisting and turning...

    Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    BTW, what would you see as good solution to ease the strain?
    Mask mandates, just like every immunologist recommends that I have heard on interviews lately.

    As for the rest of your post you are obviously not aware of what is actually currently happening, maybe because of your choice of media but I am talking about personal real experience like what is currently happening in my son's school and the shops I frequent or even just want to ring up my bank(I gave up).

    My point was not about comparing with the flu but the incorrect statement that Omicron is not deadly and no worse than a flu.
    Covid is not weather dependent, it can spread all year round and the flu is only around for a season.
    Any comparisons are already completely off the mark because of that fact.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-05-22 at 01:30 PM.
    I am an arrogant, irritating RSole.

  • #110
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 669 Times in 358 Posts
    Rep Power
    435
    Reputation
    9505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Geez fromaron you won't give up, twisting and turning...



    Mask mandates, just like every immunologist recommends that I have heard on interviews lately.

    As for the rest of your post you are obviously not aware of what is actually currently happening, maybe because of your choice of media but I am talking about personal real experience like what is currently happening in my son's school and the shops I frequent or even just want to ring up my bank(I gave up).

    My point was not about comparing with the flu but the incorrect statement that Omicron is not deadly and no worse than a flu.
    Covid is not weather dependent, it can spread all year round and the flu is only around for a season.
    Any comparisons are already completely off the mark because of that fact.
    I have my own personal life experience and it is different to yours. I see things very clear and unlike yourself can see shades between black and white.
    I already suggested people like yorself should have masks and have multipple vaccinations done. I think this is very justified.
    But don't put everyone in to the same busket. Ideas of mandating anything always come from sources you like reading and it is always in black and white (taking black in white from your other post).
    People are grown up and can chose what they need to do - just provide good information.
    Read scientic publications - Tha Lancet for example. It is most trusted magazine in medical science world.
    Masks mandates did the job before vaccination targets were reached. Now masks are recommended for vulnerable or if it is your personal choice.
    Don't force everyone to do something they don't need only because some scientists suggested that and then you might be able to call your bank straight away.
    Last edited by fromaron; 27-05-22 at 04:12 PM.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

    enf (27-05-22)

  • #111
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    9,991
    Thanks
    11,458
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 3,129 Posts
    Rep Power
    2965
    Reputation
    125220

    Default

    It would be prudent to pass a law: "Before you cough, put on a mask".............................
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • #112
    Junior Member Ah-Those-Old-Days!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    172
    Thanked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    39
    Reputation
    1210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Not strictly true ~ when I had HCV they wore PPE during my varicose vein stripping procedure, to ensure they didn't get droplets of my blood in their eyes/mouth etc (and this is so for any patient with infectious blood) ; it works both ways.
    You are right, and I can understand that in those situations. Obviously there are even worse situations where they have to wear full-face shields
    for that reason, though I was referring to the 'generic' minimal masks. The 'missus' & I watch a lot of medical shows on Youtube on the bedroom TV.
    I noticed that the 'Full-Face' Shields the nurses often wear, (yes, to protect themselves too), have large writing on the top of them saying...
    "Face Shield"... and I keep thinking that's so they don't accidentally put it on their Arse or something!! Sorry...
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 27-05-22 at 10:52 PM.
    One small step for man... (but it wasn't me!!)

  • #113
    Administrator
    mtv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    19,311
    Thanks
    6,896
    Thanked 14,321 Times in 6,502 Posts
    Rep Power
    5285
    Reputation
    223470

    Default

    Can we get back on topic please.

    Covid - anyone here have or had it?

    There are other threads if you wish to have a general discussion about Covid, masks, etc.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

  • #114
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 669 Times in 358 Posts
    Rep Power
    435
    Reputation
    9505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Can we get back on topic please.

    Covid - anyone here have or had it?

    There are other threads if you wish to have a general discussion about Covid, masks, etc.
    Sorry mtv for dragging discussion outside of the topic - it is just too sensitive to some people.

    Here is my experience with covid (please note I am over 60).

    I had my booster shot only because I had to travel to a country overseas which required 3 shots done to avoid quarantine.
    1 day before the booster I was doing some work at a large party with lots of people around. In few days I felt some unusual muscle pain but contributed it to some physical work I was doing. No fever or any other symptoms whatsoever.
    Another few days my wife had a fever, sore throat and running nose. Tested with RAT and sure enough the test was what they call "slightly" positive which is really positive. Her fever lasted by probably 12 hours and then some tiredness for another day. Also, she was feeling the same muscle pain I was getting so I figured out I had the covid as well but kind of asymptomatic. After that no problems at all.

    So really for us this covid thing is nothing but scare. I reckon it is similar to just catching a cold or easier than having 24 hours gastro virus.
    Acknowledge though that people can have different reaction and for some, especially vulnerable cohort it could be lethal. Really same as seasonal flu can kill.

    I think 99% of people or maybe more have similar experience and that is what driving a lot of resistance to some measures government tried to implement fighting the epidemy.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

    enf (03-06-22),WhiteOx (04-06-22)

  • #115
    Super Moderator
    enf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Age
    68
    Posts
    16,640
    Thanks
    15,662
    Thanked 31,034 Times in 8,180 Posts
    Rep Power
    12048
    Reputation
    565889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Sorry mtv for dragging discussion outside of the topic - it is just too sensitive to some people.

    Here is my experience with covid (please note I am over 60).

    I had my booster shot only because I had to travel to a country overseas which required 3 shots done to avoid quarantine.
    1 day before the booster I was doing some work at a large party with lots of people around. In few days I felt some unusual muscle pain but contributed it to some physical work I was doing. No fever or any other symptoms whatsoever.
    Another few days my wife had a fever, sore throat and running nose. Tested with RAT and sure enough the test was what they call "slightly" positive which is really positive. Her fever lasted by probably 12 hours and then some tiredness for another day. Also, she was feeling the same muscle pain I was getting so I figured out I had the covid as well but kind of asymptomatic. After that no problems at all.

    So really for us this covid thing is nothing but scare. I reckon it is similar to just catching a cold or easier than having 24 hours gastro virus.
    Acknowledge though that people can have different reaction and for some, especially vulnerable cohort it could be lethal. Really same as seasonal flu can kill.

    I think 99% of people or maybe more have similar experience and that is what driving a lot of resistance to some measures government tried to implement fighting the epidemy.
    I think the government did the best that they could with the knowledge that they were supplied with. People criticised them for changing direction, but that was because more knowledge was available over time. The whole media driven panic was just bullsh!t. And it still is.

    Now that hundreds aren't dying each day, they've switched to cases to continue the hysteria.

    I took the shots as early as I could because I thought it was prudent. I had a booster on the advice of my GP even though I began to feel it was useless. My youngest son had a more violent reaction to his Moderna vaccine than most to covid. My youngest daughter had a bad reaction to pfizer. Again, worse than people her age with covid.

    I would like to think that there were lessons for the population at large here, but sadly I fear governments like the fear and the control that it affords.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

  • #116
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    6,088
    Thanks
    2,172
    Thanked 4,183 Times in 2,389 Posts
    Rep Power
    1921
    Reputation
    77158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    Sorry mtv for dragging discussion outside of the topic - it is just too sensitive to some people.

    Here is my experience with covid (please note I am over 60).

    I had my booster shot only because I had to travel to a country overseas which required 3 shots done to avoid quarantine.
    1 day before the booster I was doing some work at a large party with lots of people around. In few days I felt some unusual muscle pain but contributed it to some physical work I was doing. No fever or any other symptoms whatsoever.
    Another few days my wife had a fever, sore throat and running nose. Tested with RAT and sure enough the test was what they call "slightly" positive which is really positive. Her fever lasted by probably 12 hours and then some tiredness for another day. Also, she was feeling the same muscle pain I was getting so I figured out I had the covid as well but kind of asymptomatic. After that no problems at all.

    So really for us this covid thing is nothing but scare. I reckon it is similar to just catching a cold or easier than having 24 hours gastro virus.
    Acknowledge though that people can have different reaction and for some, especially vulnerable cohort it could be lethal. Really same as seasonal flu can kill.

    I think 99% of people or maybe more have similar experience and that is what driving a lot of resistance to some measures government tried to implement fighting the epidemy.
    Well that is very odd that now all of a sudden you claim you had Covid. Why did you not mention this before?

    For you it might seem like a flu and you can be grateful for that mild experience you had but saying it was all just a gov scare campaign is very wrong.
    Our gov is totally ignoring the 50 Australians who sometimes still die from it per day and we are still waiting to hear from any flu deaths, so stop complaining.

    As for now my family have had no Covid symptoms whatsoever however I have managed book my free flu shot which was not quite easy as our GPs were not prepared for this.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-06-22 at 12:44 AM.
    I am an arrogant, irritating RSole.

  • #117
    Senior Member
    fromaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,090
    Thanks
    245
    Thanked 669 Times in 358 Posts
    Rep Power
    435
    Reputation
    9505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Well that is very odd that now all of a sudden you claim you had Covid. Why did you not mention this before?

    For you it might seem like a flu and you can be grateful for that mild experience you had but saying it was all just a gov scare campaign is very wrong.
    Our gov is totally ignoring the 50 Australians who sometimes still die from it per day and we are still waiting to hear from any flu deaths, so stop complaining.

    As for now my family have had no Covid symptoms whatsoever however I have managed book my free flu shot which was not quite easy as our GPs were not prepared for this.
    Not sure why do you think it is odd? I claim I had covid after I got it. Do you suggest I supposed to mention covid before I got it?

    I also not sure where do you see in my post I claim all gov actions were nothing but scare campaign. If you read my posts l state today what you see as required measures is over-reaction. But that is again dragging the thread off the topic.

  • #118
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    9,991
    Thanks
    11,458
    Thanked 6,698 Times in 3,129 Posts
    Rep Power
    2965
    Reputation
    125220

    Default

    I woke up with a sore throat last Monday, did my test which was negative, here it is Saturday and I'm still coughing with a runny nose. To the outside world, who would not know if their arse was on fire, I have the disease.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

    enf (04-06-22)

  • #119
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,604
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 530 Posts
    Rep Power
    577
    Reputation
    18936

    Default Covid - anyone here have or had it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    It is pointless to waffle on about ratios like deaths per cases, fact is the 3107 deaths alone in the past 4 months dwarfs the numbers of 2020/21 combined.

    So it is not me but you guys who need to get their facts straight when you claim Omicron is not deadly!
    The current stats indicate people who die WITH Covid, not FROM Covid. That is a relevant distinction that needs to be pointed out.

    Dying with Covid doesn’t mean the death was caused in any way by Covid, just that the person had Covid when they passed.

    Almost everyone in any medical setting is tested for Covid, but not for other illnesses. It stands to reason that people dying ‘with’ Covid will be identified, but not people with influenza, etc.

    The actual ‘death’ stats from Covid clearly indicate previous stains were more deadly than Omicron.

    And yes, I’ve now had Covid, as has almost all the extended family. Everyone pulled through without too much issue, however the misses and another family member have a persistent cough that is taking it’s time to clear.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 05-06-22 at 08:57 AM.

  • The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

    efab (05-06-22),enf (05-06-22),WhiteOx (05-06-22)

  • #120
    Senior Member
    LeroyPatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N.E. Vic
    Posts
    16,229
    Thanks
    3,527
    Thanked 4,708 Times in 2,795 Posts
    Rep Power
    1647
    Reputation
    46511

    Default

    The cough is giving me the shites

  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •