Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Covid - anyone here have or had it?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Just wear a kn95/P2 certified mask when out in the public and do what ever you always do
    Saw someone in Woolies lift theirs up to cough and sneeze...really? Then back on it went....
    They walk among us alright....including those who cough (or a coughed on) while getting somewhere and the virus particles are already all over their clothing....and then they put their mask on...

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Saw someone in Woolies lift theirs up to cough and sneeze...really? Then back on it went.....
    Sh*t, you mean you have them down your way too?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Sh*t, you mean you have them down your way too?
    Yeah, they just got elected...

Seriously, the world is full of animated manequins..
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I got a simple solution:
    Just wear a kn95/P2 certified mask when out in the public and do what ever you always do with no other restrictions without the risk of getting sick and losing your job/business/income/loved ones, period

These masks cost now 1/3 of the price now because nobody wears them, almost the same price as the surgical ones in pharmacies which are rubbish if you want to protect YOURSELF.
    That's a very simplistic approach. We got it though our kids who got it from school/school camps the other week and one camp was also in Melb and with friends from the swimming club there that were also positive. It's pretty hard to avoid now without taking an extreme approach to avoiding it especially when it's in your home!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    All the W. H. O. experts say masks are useless at stopping you getting covid, and actually make it more likely you will get it due to transfer from your hands when constantly adjusting it.

They say the only time they are useful is when you are positive, and will help stop you spreading it. If positive you should be isolating anyway.....

It seems the 'health advice' given to all our politicians is completely opposite.....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    I have to wear them every shift at work. It's pretty hard to not touch them during your shift. I also change them at least once during that time. They were still happy for me to work while I was considered a close contact but you have to wear the mask correctly so it seals. I was fit tested for particular brand masks recently. Not all masks seal the same!!
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

enf (24-05-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    That's a very simplistic approach. We got it though our kids who got it from school/school camps the other week and one camp was also in Melb and with friends from the swimming club there that were also positive. It's pretty hard to avoid now without taking an extreme approach to avoiding it especially when it's in your home!
    I have to wear them every shift at work. It's pretty hard to not touch them during your shift. I also change them at least once during that time. They were still happy for me to work while I was considered a close contact but you have to wear the mask correctly so it seals. I was fit tested for particular brand masks recently. Not all masks seal the same!!

Yeah...it's called a virus and it spreads....

In Canberra one daughters boyfriend gets it (they both work in the hospitality industry) then she gets it.

In Brisbane another daughter gets it then boyfriend gets it.

In Brisbane youngest son gets it, he thinks from contact with sister before she knew she had it. His son and daughter then get it.

In Perth my brother gets it, doesn't know how. Fortunately he's divorced and can isolate, although he probably wishes he could give it to his ex.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I totally concur....but it's not just the masks (which I admit I won't wear, even though I have good ones and filters), it's the practices when wearing them.

Saw someone in Woolies lift theirs up to cough and sneeze...really? Then back on it went.....

They walk among us.

Fester, many of the "certified" masks are pretty useless too really. I tried several at the beginning when it was more dangerous, and most were leaky and uncomfortable. AND they fogged up my glasses, which meant I was probably going to be covid free when I accidentally stepped in front of a bus....
    These ones are legit. I took one apart and found the microscopic thin multi layer, that passed all tests, including a slight reduction of the smell from somebody standing next to me who does not wash them self(due to religious reasons or whatever) but usually I can flee before I suffocate.

Once you fold the nose bridge correctly the mask must press towards your face when you breath in. It may help to make small knots in the ear bands to get s tighter fit.
    I saw the cops here using exactly the same ones, identified by the bag they are supplied with.
    As you breath out air can still escape from the top but that will not hurt ME, although that may be a sign to change the mask as they clog up.

The 'experts' from the WHO are obviously talking about the simple blue surgical ones you get in the pharmacies, which I also pointed out above as useless unless you are sick where they inhibit droplets somewhat from coughing when the wearer does not lift it.

My son wears his KN95 at school. Currently roughly 1/3 of the students in his classes are sick and many classes are not properly supervised due to so many teachers sick at home.
    He has not brought us the disease home.

This type of mask also protects against the flu, exhaust particles from ICEs, radioactive fallout (when Putin gets serious) and of course all the wood and metal dust when I am building something.

So in conclusion I find using these masks very practical after I got used to them, which was really not very difficult.

The main point is if you protect yourself would won't get sick and infect others. Currently these masks are only way I see to reduce the spread. It may not make everybody sick but some have lasting consequences, look up long Covid.

Mutations will prevail as long as we do nothing.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-05-22 at 02:51 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Dunno if I'd be trusting masks bought from eBay..... but that's just me

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

All the (useless)masks and test kits I see in pharmacies are made in China, you can't escape.

I have seen (allegedly) Aussie made N95 masks on our ebay.com.au, although questionable as I have read that N95 may only be produced in the USA but maybe there is a trade agreement.
    On ebay.com(in the USA) you should be able to get legit N95.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-05-22 at 03:14 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks

These ones are legit. I took one apart and found the microscopic thin multi layer, that passed all tests, including a slight reduction of the smell from somebody standing next to me who does not wash them self(due to religious reasons or whatever) but usually I can flee before I suffocate.

Once you fold the nose bridge correctly the mask must press towards your face when you breath in. It may help to make small knots in the ear bands to get s tighter fit.
    I saw the cops here using exactly the same ones, identified by the bag they are supplied with.
    As you breath out air can still escape from the top but that will not hurt ME, although that may be a sign to change the mask as they clog up.

The 'experts' from the WHO are obviously talking about the simple blue surgical ones you get in the pharmacies, which I also pointed out above as useless unless you are sick where they inhibit droplets somewhat from coughing when the wearer does not lift it.

My son wears his KN95 at school. Currently roughly 1/3 of the students in his classes are sick and many classes are not properly supervised due to so many teachers sick at home.
    He has not brought us the disease home.

This type of mask also protects against the flu, exhaust particles from ICEs, radioactive fallout (when Putin gets serious) and of course all the wood and metal dust when I am building something.

So in conclusion I find using these masks very practical after I got used to them, which was really not very difficult.

The main point is if you protect yourself would won't get sick and infect others. Currently these masks are only way I see to reduce the spread. It may not make everybody sick but some have lasting consequences, look up long Covid.

Mutations will prevail as long as we do nothing.
    Your N95 (or P3 which is the other mask we have available to us at work) is useless if it doesn't fit correctly. One that fits an adult isn't necessarily going to fit a kid correctly.

Thanks

Your N95 (or P3 which is the other mask we have available to us at work) is useless if it doesn't fit correctly. One that fits an adult isn't necessarily going to fit a kid correctly.
    I you had actually read what I wrote and you quoted then would would have noticed that by tying knots in the ear lashes and bending the nose bridge correctly you can achieve tight fit which can be tested by breathing in an feeling the mask suck towards your face.
    Of course those in the link will not fit young children but should be usable from 12y/o onwards.
    There are K95 N95 available for children.

BTW the comparable European standard is P2 not P3. P3 are more expensive and usually have two side filters, a bit like a gas mask, more for painters.
    The P2 masks that you can also find in Bunnings are more uncomfortable but the rubber bands that go around your head do ensure a tight fit. They are usually valved and were not permitted when mask mandates were still on the table.
    I still have about 60 of them lying around and use them for work because thanks to the valve they never not fog up glasses.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-05-22 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks

I you had actually read what I wrote and you quoted then would would have noticed that by tying knots in the ear lashes and bending the nose bridge correctly you can achieve tight fit which can be tested by breathing in an feeling the mask suck towards your face.
    Of course those in the link will not fit young children but should be usable from 12y/o onwards.
    There are K95 N95 available for children.

BTW the comparable European standard is P2 not P3. P3 are more expensive and usually have two side filters, a bit like a gas mask, more for painters.
    The P2 masks that you can also find in Bunnings are more uncomfortable but the rubber bands that go around your head do ensure a tight fit. They are usually valved and were not permitted when mask mandates were still on the table.
    I still have about 60 of them lying around and use them for work because thanks to the valve they never not fog up glasses.
    Just tightening up ear lashes doesn't make them fit better!! All the n95 mask fit testing we did had no masks with ear lashes only straps that go around your head. Bending the wire over your nose is a good thing but not all masks have the foam strip either to improve sealing over the noise. When doing the fit testing they punch a connection through the mask so you can measure particles that 'leak' in. So even talking and moving can effect the seal of masks around your face too.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

My niece got covid about 4months ago now (after returning to HS) ; this is figured to be because quite a number of students in her class were attending school ...only to a couple of days later be in isolation, once they developed symptoms and test positive.

Now...here's where it gets curious ~ even though she was in lockdown, with her parents & brother, sister....no one else in her family contracted covid ; neither her brother nor sister contracted covid either, even though they all go to the same school, travel in the same bus (rural area, so that's 30minutes in the bus each way)...since then, she's been prone to developing hives on the skin (like an allergy of some kind) and after 2months of tests (another today)...they still have no idea what's causing the condition...

Thanks

Never mind
    Last edited by fromaron; 25-05-22 at 09:58 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

I got a simple solution:
    Just wear a kn95/P2 certified mask when out in the public and do what ever you always do with no other restrictions without the risk of getting sick and losing your job/business/income/loved ones, period

These masks cost now 1/3 of the price now because nobody wears them, almost the same price as the surgical ones in pharmacies which are rubbish if you want to protect YOURSELF.
    Uncle Fester... I KNOW what you are saying, except there is a misconception there about those simple 'Masks'...
    They are NOT really to protect yourself from catching something, as 'air' is coming into you from all around the mask too!
    It's there to stop you from coughing/breathing OUTWARDS of between 1, 2, or 3 metres distance, to those in range.
    The same applies to Surgeons using them during an operation. It's to limit/stop them Breathing into a wound/surgery-site,
    not to stop them getting infected from the 'patient'. Yes, they are a damn inconvenience & I hate them too, but it truly is
    to protect OTHERS, especially in common medical meeting places like Doctors Surgeries etc. Yes, restrictions have eased
    here now, because of our levels of Vaccinations. However, 6 local friends here (Bunbury) now have it. But no bad effects!!

Thanks

Ah-those... I am actually aware of that function of surgical masks.
    That is why I am so pedantic about wearing well fitted K95 masks because egoistic as I am I actually want to protect MYSELF but by doing so and I am very certain they do work a lot better than not wearing any, I will be protecting others because I will less likely get sick.

This view is sadly not shared with many people. Many people are dying daily in Australia from this disease and I am in the age group, so f""k those who don't share my view!
    My wife and I often get 'The Look' because we belong to the VERY few who wear a mask in shops and we certainly give a person who is coughing or sneezing and not wearing mask 'The Look' back.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-05-22 at 12:28 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Breathing into a wound/surgery-site, not to stop them getting infected from the 'patient'.
    Not strictly true ~ when I had HCV they wore PPE during my varicose vein stripping procedure, to ensure they didn't get droplets of my blood in their eyes/mouth etc (and this is so for any patient with infectious blood) ; it works both ways.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-05-22)

Thanks

I am I actually want to protect MYSELF but by doing so and I am very certain they do work a lot better than not wearing any, I will be protecting others because I will less likely get sick.

My wife and I often get 'The Look' because we belong to the VERY few who wear a mask in shops and we certainly give a person who is coughing or sneezing and not wearing mask 'The Look' back.
    You are most likely doing the right thing for yourself and your wife. Don't get too much offended by others giving you look. They simply don't understand you have protection from outside mask.

For others who are not in such vulnerable category is better not to have any restrictions or protections at all. The sooner more people get the virus the sooner it will turn to a less invasive flu like season event. It is almost there. Once this happen you will be able to get rid of your mask as well.

It happened in the past and will happen again.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fromaron For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-05-22),enf (26-05-22),Uncle Fester (26-05-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Of course, there is always survival of the fittest.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast