Thread: How Set This Clock

Premium Member

Thanks

Default How Set This Clock

Hi all,
    Yet another fun project has come to hand. Hopefully Trash doesn't get upset with any suggestions you make

No make/brand (without opening it).

The first question is in regards to the Date Code Badge at the rear.
    1) Will it keep accurate Day/Dates if we are in the year 2022?
    Some guys at work reckon the 20yr badge set in 4 x 5's is for the Leap Year. And so, if the clock is set to 2002 (as in 2022), it should just cycle around...?

The large wheel knob (middle of year badge), turns the Month (in my first attempt to see what happened after I put some batteries in). Scared the life out of me as I put the last battery in (the two in parallel), then the thing made a whirring clicking sound, which you will hear in the linked video.
    Where are the Four Colours..?

2) It seems like the Clock adjustment is WAY DOWN deep. How the heck am I supposed to turn that?
    I guess I'll have to take the back off to do that?

But before I go to all this trouble, do you think the clock is going to keep the day/date correct in regards to the Year Indicator badge as I mention above.
    Would the makers have supposed no one would keep the clock from 2001 to 2020...?

Ok, here we go chaps...

Oh, just be aware that the video link Microsoft OneDrive link - the video is in VERY WIDE format taken from my Samsung Phone.

NB: As the clock has been on since yesterday afternoon - the Red Sun is now just over where the Blue Moon is now - so the Blue Moon is now (sat morn 8:00am), at the 2oclock position.
    So I wonder where the Yellow and Green Window Colour comes in...?
    Wonder what the ON/OFF switch does - stop the month/day/date ticker?

Clock Front.

Clock Rear.

Clock Control Panel.

Clock Adjuster - deep.

Clock Blue Red.

Video of me turning the large knob.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

This is an interesting one. I suspect there is a lot of missing information and the clock is not as automatic as it might seem.

Calander years finish on the same day they start. It's pretty simple.
    2001 starts on a Monday and it Finishes on a Monday.
    Therefore 2002 starts on a Tuesday and finishes on a Tuesday.

When you come to a Leap year like 2004 It starts on a Thursday and Finishes on a Friday which means 2005 starts on a Saturday and the cycle repeats.

This doesn't match the table. It has a 4 year repeating cycle and that alone is not enough information to get the day right.
    So it means the day must be set manually.

But then that means there is too much redundancy in the 4 year setting, because you only need 2 settings, normal year and leap year and then you set the current day/date.

Changing the time should be easier than changing the date.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Thanks

Looks like the date may not show correct after 2020.
    Or maybe it just resets back to the first colour.

What if you take it in to a jewelers and see if they know how it sets.

By the way ... Pearl is the brand -

Are they C size batteries ? . That thing must be huge.

and what's the little square next to the clock's number 2 ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 25-03-22 at 02:24 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Humm,

Trash, as in the dates not matching the table and means the day has to be manually. That might be so, but down that deep hole there is a 'friction/cogged' knob and (from what I can see), a small flat head slot in the middle.
    So maybe the two are separate?

As on the video at 0:07 secs: Why does it take Three Month rotations for the Date to change and others Two Month rotations...?

Well spotted Loopy!
    The square shows the black wheel - that one rotates to make the MONTH flip over. So I rotated it fully and saw (as in the photo), the 'Line'.
    I'm guessing this a a reference point?

Month Rotating Front Dial Square.

Yes it's a biggie - 620mm by 420mm. 'C' Batts.
    There's no back battery plate. So have to be careful as every time I lay it backwards the batts pop out.

EDIT Update: The Time went past 12:00pm (Midnight), and the date changed. I wasn't here to see - or hear it (if it makes a flick sound).
    Last edited by GT250; 25-03-22 at 05:56 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (26-03-22)

Thanks

You could make a battery cover from some 1-2mm aluminium sheet and put a short screw in it on the right hand side.

Have you thought of taking the back off it to see what makes it tick (so to speak) ?
    Last edited by loopyloo; 26-03-22 at 11:56 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    You could make a battery cover from some 1-2mm aluminium sheet and put a short screw in it on the right hand side.
    Have you thought of taking the back off it to see what makes it tick (so to speak) ?
    Hi Loopy Loo,
    Great minds think alike Loopy LOL! Did that yesterday (not the best metal work, but it did the job)

Now allowed me to open and move the clock around with the batts installed.

Disclaimer: Like a DOH! moment; I found two more Large Wheels on the side that adjust the Day Date. The Large Wheel center moved the Month. I never saw them as they are REALLY on the side and my focus has been the middle of the rear of the clock! Photo will show.

As I was getting the back off, there were some missing screws - so someone has been in it before...!

Found a loose wire on the PCB. The Purple wire was 'resting' on the Month boards and some wires were hanging around as the glue retainer blobs had come loose or been pulled by someone taking the back off and pulling them loose.

So have to work out where the White Wire goes..?

I set the clock finally and through the night it changed the Day and Date. But I'm wondering about the Year or Month Issue with those Coloured Tapes. Looks like the Green is missing same as Yellow.
    Coloured Tapes: What do I do with them or where do they go...?

LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND LOWER LEFT!!! And Large Wheels.

Tape with gap - I'm thinking it was to hold the tool to adjust the time down that deep hole.

Coloured Tape.

Loose White Wire.

Clock Set

So Guys and Gals: Back to the Coloured Tapes. What do I do with them...?

Premium Member

Thanks

Just had a brain I've going to work...

I bet those coloured tapes go on that wheel - that is part of the months - through that square hole at the front of the clock. As Loopyloo spotted...
    And that 'indicator line mark' is where the tape starts/stops...

At work, gotta go...

Thanks

Does this bit of frame pop off or open for access to the wheels ?
    If not, they are probably moved though a gearing from the other side (stands to reason).

Premium Member

Thanks

No Loopyloo,

But I just noticed that inside where the adjusting middle wheel that is where the Year Indicator Colour list is, there is a 'gear mechanism' wheel which is where these coloured tapes might go.

Remember that Square Hole at the front you spotted?

I'm betting that this wheel and the month numbers of the tape are visible through that hole AND that the 'molding line' is a start/stop marker....!

So wonder if the coloured month tapes have simply become unglued from this wheel? Looks like it, though...
    Wonder what order, or if there is any missing. Looks a small wheel.

Humm,,,

Premium Member

Thanks

Hi all,
    Had some time to open it up again and check out this Leap Year Wheel.

Like a twit, in my fiddling that loose White Wire has broken off its only pad. So thankfully I have a photo showing where it was originally connected to.
    Not sure what it did though - AND - found a Red Wire that is unattached as well..

The first photo is the Leap Year Wheel, with its peg about to touch a micro switch, and I've laid out the Year Coloured tape and it looks to me that the two pieces I have will not go around the whole wheel.
    So looks like I might have to make some up, glup! Not the craftiest person in the world...

Year Wheel Micro Switch.

Loose Red Wire and White Wire.

PCB Close Up - With Detached White Wire. Suspect the Date of the PCB is 2004/4/23rd

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

@GT250 - hey bud next time you bring something home from the tip shop make sure the instruction book is included lol lol

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

GT250 (31-03-22),gulliver (29-03-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    @GT250 - hey bud next time you bring something home from the tip shop make sure the instruction book is included lol lol
    Where's the fun in that ? ☺
    Last edited by loopyloo; 29-03-22 at 11:40 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loopyloo For This Useful Post:

GT250 (31-03-22)

Thanks

Looks like the colour order for that tape is red, yellow, green then blue.
    Somewhere around that wheel there maybe a mark that signifies the start/end of the tape for factory assembly purposes. You may also see it in the papery remains on the wheel.

The 14 pin ic might be a H bridge motor controller.

GT250 (31-03-22)

Thanks

Oh, now I get it.
    I only just noticed (in the pic below), where those wheels come through so you can change the day and date.

GT250 (31-03-22)

Premium Member

Thanks

Hi all,
    VroomVroom! Yeah, where's the fun in that...?
    Hah ya know, it's seeing something different about to go to the tip god in the sky. One never knows if it's able to be made good again

Loopy, yeah remember that square hole in the front you saw and now that arm that hits the microswitch? That's the Leap year 'option' I bet.

Now: Since I put it all back together, after a bit of fiddling here and there, the damn thing hasn't flicked over the DATE. It's flicked over the DAY though.
    It was Flicking over the DATE and the DAY quite happily before, LOL!!!

I'll look at making some of the remainder Coloured tapes and see where I go from there and I'll fiddle - trial and error - with that damn Middle wheel.!

Premium Member

Thanks

Well, just a FYI folks...
    I contacted Pearl in regards to getting the correct way to set the Time and Date, well to see if there was a Manual.
    They were very helpful and I would just like to enclose some of their reply.

"There’s not a lot of assistance I can give as we last sold JB02-2 in 2010, which was before I began here in late 2011. I made a search of our digital files and could only find the attached image for JB. It shows up in the 2008-2009 catalogue, but by catalogue 2011-2012 it had been replaced with the digital JD17-2, which last sold in December 2012. JD no longer had the day/night dial on the face (using an AM/PM indicator light on the digital display) and the analogue clock was completely separate to the digital display. During the same period we sold a simplified version JN02-2/JN17-2. This kept the flip numbers throughout the years, although in 2013 an updated model was released which used a digital setter at the back for day/date which again was separate to the analogue clock

"The Pearl factory in China is unlikely to be able to help with information, as they were always very quick to dispose of old data on discontinued/upgraded models, but it doesn’t hurt to ask. Their website should be They have since moved to a new factory, so they have either disposed of more past data before moving, or might have digitised found hardcopy information.

The JN is the only model I have any practical experience with, but I’m having to go with my memory of it as I was unable to find any files or images for the previous dial model. It was only from 2012 that we began to store digital versions of instructions. I have a limited number of hard copy instructions on file and these don’t have the earlier JN or JB models.

Most flip model clocks we’ve had would change between 10pm to midnight, or those with day/date dial displays on the face would change between 10pm to 2am. Ie one dial would change coming up to midnight while the second dial would change leaving midnight.

Short setting might be: Turn clock movement to between 9 and 10. Set the flip dials to correct month, and day/date to one day before current day/date. Then turn the clock movement dial forward until the date changes. Keep turning to current time.

My guess on long setting would be: set the time to 7am. On the JB or clocks with a day/night on the face, this should be 7 o’clock with the face dial showing sun. Models without a day/night would be the first 7am after the date changes when turning the clock movement dial. At 7am, turn the flip clock dials to correct month, and day/date one day before current date/day. Then turn the clock movement dial forward to and past midnight until the date changes. Keep turning to current time.

For either version you may need to flip the day forward 1 day, as I have a vague thought that the day of week doesn’t change on the first turn during setting. My memory is not certain though.

It was after 2010 before a lot of factories caught up with updating their PCBs for a full 99 years (ie 2000-2099), so logic dictates that green would work for 2022 to match leap year internal count. As long as the PCB doesn’t depend on the day of week, that should work. I don’t have any knowledge on the inner workings of these."

The JB02-02 Clock

The JD Clock

As it is now guys, the clock is working fine - Will wait till the next Leap Year to see if it is really right - I'm nto fiddling with that wheel Month wheel again, took me half an hour and three days to get it working 'ok' now!

Cheers,
    GT250.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT250 For This Useful Post:

loopyloo (06-04-22),lsemmens (06-04-22)