Thread: Medal Group to a Ukrainian

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Medal Group to a Ukrainian

I have posted this before, long ago, but images are missing etc so I thought I would repost it.

With the current situation in Ukraine, I had a vague remembrance that I had a Russian group awarded to an ethic Ukrainian somewhere. I collect Russian medals, but haven't actively done so for about 7 or 8 years.
    Anyway, after having a hunt around I found them, but more importantly the research which confirmed to me that he was in fact Ukrainian.

I even found some old photos in my Google Photos account that I took at the time, so didn't need to photograph them again. Front view :

And rear view :

The 4 medals are from left to right (front view - first image), Bravery Medal, Bravery Medal, Victory over Germany and 1946 - 1965 Commemorative medal.

The last 2 are not particularly valuable, however the Bravery Medals are made of solid silver and as you can see on the second photo, they have serial numbers.
    The USSR kept very efficient records and it is possible to have serial numbered medals researched to find out information about the recipient and the citation for the act that got them the medal.

The first page of research gives us some information about our man, and at the bottom is the citation for the first Bravery Medal number 902452.

1. Award card

Order booklet B 159181

1. Last name: Ovsyukov

2. Name and Patrionymic: Mikhail Evdokimovich

3. Rank: Junior Sergeant

4. Sex: Male

5. Birthyear: 1904

6. Birthplace: Grigorevskii Selsovet, Amvrosievskii Region, Stalin Oblast

7. Party Membership: n/a

8. Education: elementary

9. Nationality: Ukrainian

10. Service in the Red Army: October 1943-August 1945

11. Place of service and duty position at time of awarding: 336 Rifle Regiment, 126 Rifle Division, 54
    Rifle Corps, 3 Belorussian Front - machinegunner

12. Place of service and duty position at the current time: Stalin Oblast, Amvrosievskii Region,
    Grigorevskii Selsovet, Collective Farm #518 – collective farm worker

13. Home of Record: Same

14. Awards

Award Serial Number Awarder

Bravery Medal 902.452 690 Rifle Regiment dated 13.3.1944

Red Banner 173.556 4 Ukrainian Front dated 11.5.44

OPW I 191.091 54 Rifle Corps dated 6.5.1945

Verified 27 May 1946

2. Award card

A second award card dated 30 May 1947 captures the above information, but includes 2 Guards Army as
    being under 3 Belorussian Front, not 4 Ukrainian Front. The 2 Guards Army served earlier under 4
    Ukrainian Front, then shifted to 3 Belorussian Front late in the war. It also adds Bravery Medal
    #2.955.776 awarded by the 126 Rifle Division dated 19.4.44. It also specifies the dates of service as 9
    October 1943 through 21 August 1945.

3. Award Citation

Award Sheet

Order 03/N of the Commander, 690 Rifle Regiment, 126 Gorlov Red Banner Rifle Division, 2 Guards
    Army 18 March 1944.

On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme soviet USSR, I award the Bravery Medal to:

22. Rifleman Private Mikhail Evdokimovich Ovsyukov, 4 Rifle Company, 2 Rifle Battalion,
    who on 18 October 1944 in fighting for Melitopol displayed exceptional bravery and courage.
    Under a hurricane of enemy fire he got himself into position and destroyed with grenades a heavy
    machinegun and three Germans. During the defense he daily kept watch on the enemy and while
    on watch destroyed two Germans.

Born 1904, Ukrainian, non-party member, in Red Army since 1943, inducted by
    Grigorevskii Regional Military Commisariat (Stalin Oblast). Home of record: Stalin
    Oblast, Amrosievskii Region, village of Grigorevka.
    Signed Commander, 690 Rifle Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Brodskii

2. The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Keith (20-04-22)

3. Look Here ->