Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 ~ the new 2022 era?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,076 Times in 9,093 Posts

Used to happen to all of them at different times.

After winning the world championship driving Colin Chapmans Lotus 79 JPS in 1978, I remember Mario Andretti saying that if the car didn't start falling apart on the after race parade lap, Chapman said it was over engineered....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

Yeah, Chapman would be turning in his grave seeing 5metre long F1 cars....and engines that last more than 1 race? Blasphemy I tell you =)

Wrt the red cars going boom....yep, each engine maker had their moments, but I still think Ferrari were found pushing the limits a fraction too far, far too many times. At least they did the full circle thing...ie; seeing a Ferrari on fire at an F1 race, is not too dissimilar to seeing road going Ferraris emulating the same trick.... in flames on the side of the road B)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,076 Times in 9,093 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yeah, Chapman would be turning in his grave seeing 5metre long F1 cars....and engines that last more than 1 race? Blasphemy I tell you =)

Wrt the red cars going boom....yep, each engine maker had their moments, but I still think Ferrari were found pushing the limits a fraction too far, far too many times. At least they did the full circle thing...ie; seeing a Ferrari on fire at an F1 race, is not too dissimilar to seeing road going Ferraris emulating the same trick.... in flames on the side of the road B)
    Renault Turbos were shockers back in their day.....people used to bet on "how long"...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Renault Turbos were shockers back in their day.....people used to bet on "how long"...
    Haha...yeah, the 'french grenades'....I think then, myself being a devout petrol-head and keen on the idea of extracting stupid horsepower from a production/stock engine, I let Renault have a 'pass' with all that....for one, they still sounded like a V6, secondly that's what they were...a production V6 bombed to the eyeballs...and thirdly, it was really the first generation leap wrt engine management electronics/techniques ---- they really were the arrow-point at the bleeding edge ; you expected a Ford DFV to go hard, because it was purpose built (like all modern F1 engines are)...the first gen of turbo F1 was real petrol-head hacking, and shared a lot in common with the ethic of rally's GroupB ...glorious days B)

If anyone's interested, a 2 parter recounting those days;

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

So, interesting news development around Alonso & Oz drivers Piastri & Ricciardo.

Oscar Piastri's public rejection of a Formula 1 race deal with Alpine is likely to be very bad news for Daniel Ricciardo, whose days at McLaren seem numbered.

Just hours after Alpine announced that Piastri would drive for the team in 2023, a release that pointedly did not include any quotes from the 21-year-old, the Australian went nuclear.

"I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year," he said.

"This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Such a public repudiation of Alpine, the team that has funded much of his career to date, suggests the Piastri camp feel they are on very solid ground in terms of a drive with another team for next season.

That team, according to all reports, is McLaren. And there isn't room at the inn for both Piastri and Ricciardo.

Ricciardo has a contract for 2023, and recently stated publicly that he intended to honour it, a statement he made on social media without an involvement from the team, which might prove to be significant.

But Piastri isn't a complete stranger to the Woking-based team, having driven their simulator at least twice already this year in his role as one of the team's reserve drivers. He came within 24 hours of making his F1 debut for McLaren in Monaco, when he was placed on standby as regular driver Lando Norris battled tonsillitis.

Should Piastri join Norris at McLaren, there's two ways it could play out for Ricciardo.

Piastri's signing could be being orchestrated with the full knowledge of his fellow Australian, who would then accept a payout to drive elsewhere in 2023, either in F1 or even the IndyCar series, bringing to an end what's been a miserable two seasons with the team, his Monza win notwithstanding.

The other option is far less palatable. It's possible Ricciardo is simply being forced out of the team against his will, in which case it's likely to be a case of lawyers at 10 paces.

A similar situation occurred in 1991 with another highly-touted rookie, when Michael Schumacher moved from Jordan to Benetton in a very messy deal that left team owner Eddie Jordan furious. The man behind that move was then-Benetton boss Flavio Briatore, who happened to pop up at the recent Austrian Grand Prix.

Briatore manages Fernando Alonso, whose departure from Alpine created the opening for Piastri, and also looked after the career of Piastri's manager, Mark Webber. It's not out of the question that Briatore has had some influence in the proceedings of the last week, especially around the timing of Alonso's departure from Alpine, which at face value has left the team in something of an awkward position.

Alpine boss Otmar Szafnauer said that as late as Sunday evening he expected Alonso to re-sign, and only found out the world champion was leaving when Aston Martin put out a media release announcing his signing on Monday. That left Alpine floundering, with suggestions they missed a July 31 deadline to confirm a drive for Piastri, leaving the Australian free to go elsewhere.

Certainly, Alpine's stance changed considerably in the space of a few hours. On Tuesday evening, Szafnauer said Piastri was the team's "preferred option" to partner Esteban Ocon in 2023, but conceded that Webber wasn't returning calls.

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, Alpine then went on the front foot, announcing Piastri as one of the team's drivers even though the driver himself claims nothing has been signed. Such a step from Alpine seems misplaced if its contract is as watertight as the team seems to believe.

What's not out of the question is a straight swap between the two Australian drivers, with Piastri partnering Norris at McLaren and Ricciardo returning to Alpine, the team he walked out on to join McLaren.

Regardless, it's looming as an expensive legal mess.

It's interesting that Alonso's manager was once Webbers manager & has orchestrated the latest deal for Alonso, but also in the past has been a controversial deal orchestrator.
    Last edited by Tiny; 03-08-22 at 07:12 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think that's all part of the hype revolving around the F1 politics, controversies, mysteries, intrigue, secret deals, the FIA and etc et_al, needed to secure a specific audience demographic that think netflix's drive to survive is actually real =)

That was one of the motivations behind me posting that current F1 car versus future F1 prototype -- if that's real, and the formula spec entertains beasties like that which are obviously much quicker and faster than the current crop of cars, they're probably have racing on their hands again ...ie; a thing like that doesn't need DRS ; it needs a braking foil... =)

It wouldn't surprise me none either...what with the prospect of Audi and Porsche joining the fray -- I think from a marketing perspective, there's a bigger appeal in prototypes like that Ferrari, than they get from open-wheel racing in it's current guise.

Currently it looks like some sort of script to me....not a conspiracy, a script...silver arrows down and out at the beginning, redbull and ferraris butting heads instead, mid-pack doing more than they have done for a long long time, and then silver arrows start to come good, ferrari seems intent on handing redbull the title, and the FIA are in the shit thick of it, more than ever before, as the driver 'celebrities' catch as much limelight as they can....looks like a script to me B)

Still...Spa-Francorchamps coming up, always one of my favourite circuits in the sim...see how these new F1 pos handle it...

Good to see aussie Jack Doohan making the top step in F2....damn good drive actually...

Premium Member
    Thanks

"Today, Formula 1 isn't all about racing ~ it's about entertainment, and it's our task to be that entertainment to the fans" -- Mohammed Ben Sulayem

Thanks

It seems like overly expensive drama with rules that change without reason. Thanks UK. I would like to see more WRC and bring back that old Can-Am racing. WRC actually requires a range of driver skills and the Can-Am was about technology, race what ya built.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    "Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel".

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12