Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F1 ~ the new 2022 era?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Default F1 ~ the new 2022 era?

New cars, just as much boredom ~ DRS has to go ~ so do those stupid looking rims that remind me of a space-saver spare.

I see more racing at the kindergarten sand pit with Mattel HotWheels cars and no track =)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Initially I thought DRS (Drag Reduction System...where the rear wing can open to reduce drag) was a dumb idea too but I can now see why its there.
    Modern F1 cars mostly rely on aerodynamics to race these days and much less on the motors.

Last year Mercedes won the constructors champion and Williams was way at the rear...both had Mercedes engines. The difference was the millions poured into aerodynamics in the Mercs.

Because of that you now get cars where it is basically impossible to pass when one tucks in behind the other as the turbulent air lowers the performance of the trailing car.

Without DRS you would have a trail of cars that were in the exact same order as the starting grid...now that is boredom
    Last edited by mandc; 29-03-22 at 07:34 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

That's why 'push to pass' is a better notion IMO......where you can use power anywhere on the circuit to pass but are limited to how many seconds of extra power you have ....instead of these DRS zones that seem to me to be set up in the exact place to provide a few seconds of racing.

It -used- to be a power sport (most motorsport was), but now they're got so many rules, regs and tech shoved up their arse, now all we get a high speed event of constipation....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (04-08-22),mandc (29-03-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

want more excitement? MotoGP
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    want more excitement? MotoGP
    Bound to be OT here but we can run with it ~ hard to compare the two sports really ...no pit stops for one, and the fact that less than around 5% of aussies ride bikes. I can sit a watch motogp with my niece, and we'll both enjoy watching it ; this is because we're both riders even though we're 50 years apart in age. I know many riders who have zero interest in car racing ; most drivers I know have zero interest in motorbike racing ~ it is what it is.

It's a perspective thing -- we can all appreciate physical sports, because we all know what it would take to put one's own body through the same sort of thing -- if you've never ridden a bike, you have no idea what bike racing is -- try explaining to someone what it feels like to pop a wheelie or power-slide out a corner, if they've never ridden a bike. Most bike riders can drive as well, so there isn't such a disparity when it comes to watching car racing...they just find it boring. In both cases, hardly anyone who watches these sports has any idea what it's like to race on slick tyres -- they're only looking for 'visual entertainment'.

That said, there's better racing in F3 and moto3 than there are in the premier classes...so what's the point?

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (31-03-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Agree 100% wotnot, I love watching the bikes! And riding them, too. never did race, though.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    New cars, just as much boredom ~ DRS has to go ~ so do those stupid looking rims that remind me of a space-saver spare.

I see more racing at the kindergarten sand pit with Mattel HotWheels cars and no track =)
    Ooooh... What Not I deliberately abstained from starting the F1 thread for 2022 mainly because of your dislike towards this sport and you just roll over me and start it yourself

Yeah, the first 2 races (everything watchable when ever you wish on fullmatchsportsdotcc, motoGP too) were not particularly exciting except for a few moments but the cars look cool with the 'truck' tires.
    The fact that they can chase each other much more closer does make a difference.
    I don't see a problem with DRS as they yo yo past each other, it is entertaining.

Somehow with the new cars they have managed to level the playing field, or Mercedes just stuffed up, great
    I am looking forward to more interesting races. Don't like the boring night races where you just see cars driving along a fence, scenery is important too.

10th of April FINALLY on Aussie soil !
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Ooooh... What Not I deliberately abstained from starting the F1 thread for 2022 mainly because of your dislike towards this sport and you just roll over me and start it yourself
    LOL...all good...and to be succinct, I don't dislike the sport -- I'm more appalled at what it's become.

DRS sucks because you could be in a car with better cornering performance, and better short distance acceleration, and -could- pass the car ahead of you, if you had that extra performance offered by DRS -then-....and not just down the straights because your car's slower in a straight-line/top speed.....because you've set it up to have better corner speed and faster short distance acceleration. That's why DRS sucks IMHO -- at worst, it only offers and advantage to cars trimmed for best top-end speed, and thus dictating where drivers can/can't pass --- at best, DRS zones are always setup where there's a grandstand full of people ... F1 *used* to be -racing- ; now it's become an entertainment event.

Just going back to (street) bikes for a moment --- for most riders, about the only thing with 4wheels that's anywhere near as fun as riding a bike, is a go-kart...and back in the day, the 'ultimate' go-kart *was* the F1 car...super low to the ground, wide track with big rubber, short wheel-base with an engine having stupid amounts of horsepower...they were twitchy, on the edge the entire time, and just watching the drivers keeping on top of the car control --was-- the entertainment (apart from trying to guess when the next ferrari mill would grenade =) The cars have gotten longer, heavier (Chapman would shoot them all =), just like how F1 technology has flowed into street cars...the '98 model Corolla is 20% lighter then the new Corolla, and the older car had a rebuildable engine, and the newer one comes with a disposable motor...thank you F1....not...

Then there's sound -- sound stirs emotion ; the modern F1 cars stirs no emotion via sound -- they sound little different from a Qld Highway Patrol KIA Stinger in full pursuit. Watching an F1 car pulling a pole position quali lap of 2min : something, stirs no emotion in me like watching 2min : something of this...

..even a bike rider is going to hear that thing, and go "wow!"...the induction roar, the screaming exhaust note, the babble&cackle as it overruns during downshift...a thing of beauty, glorious noise....and F1 used to be the same, when you heard them racing, the DFV v8s, the v10s and v12s...and the flat 12 ferrari ...every single one was a different instrument in the symphony of an F1 race...now all gone, with everyone running a v6 that sounds like a muffled fart =)

Big rubber, short wheelbase, and stupid horsepower....and believe me, there's just as much technology getting these things to run, as there is in a F1 car...difference being, these machines weren't designed for this purpose..

Last edited by wotnot; 05-04-22 at 01:35 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

red star (19-07-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I want the twacter!!!!!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I want the twacter!!!!!!
    LOL, I think I will pass.

Back to F1, like it or not things never stand still. What(not) you call racing is not just going around in circles anymore but more about complex strategies.
    DRS IS great because you have to plan ahead with each track and try to set things up in the cars, a bit like thinking 10 moves ahead in a chess game.

DRS gives a car with less straight line speed/power but better cornering abilities still a chance to win.

As for old cars vs new, have a lot at the Mini !
    They are not heavier because they adapt F! tech, they are simply all just bigger.

I love all the F1 tech in my PHEV, most awesome thing I ever had.

Yeah go karts are fun and the best way to learn racing. The entire Schumacher family would fully agree to that, if they could.
    I didn't live far away where Schumi and his brother learnt to drive.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I want the twacter!!!!!!

LoL...all sorts of impressive, even the turbo compressor stall is impressive ~ when 200ms of full power is too much... #respect ... the 'formula' (rules&regs) for those is really tight - you have to use stock crank and engine block, and stock transmission ; you can go wild on cylinder head, forced induction..etc.

That's Pro-Stock diesel....Super-Stock alcohol is even fiercer (yes, convert the diesel to run alky)....they're running 120 to 150bar boost, the numbers are incredible...and when they grenade, well...

For all the technology, F1 is boring by comparison 8)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ammlione (07-04-22),lsemmens (05-04-22),red star (19-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Says it all really...take note of the size of the older cars... =)

Thanks

Says it all really...take note of the size of the older cars... =)

Senna's hard and aggressive driving style (that was required to bypass the major flaw of any ICE really) sadly didn't work for him in 1994 either.

Cool and calculated driving of today is probably one reason why drivers stay alive, thanks to the hybrid electric component that can allow good torque without a lead foot.

Thanks

Monaco (The Jewel) tonight might be for the last time:

So alone for historic reasons I will watch live even if slot car racing might be more exciting. Then again some rain might spice things up.

I never understood that silly chicane after the tunnel, surely there could be a way to allow over taking there.
    Monaco seems to be very stubborn, so they might rather stay snobs and give up on F1 than cave to the F1 suggestions.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Monaco (The Jewel) tonight might be for the last time:

So alone for historic reasons I will watch live even if slot car racing might be more exciting. Then again some rain might spice things up.

I never understood that silly chicane after the tunnel, surely there could be a way to allow over taking there.
    Monaco seems to be very stubborn, so they might rather stay snobs and give up on F1 than cave to the F1 suggestions.
    I've never seen the point of Monaco, there's simply no space to race, let alone pass ~ it really is one of the circuits 'stuck' in the technology of it's hey-day ...I was just watching the Porsches....not even those cars/drivers can make a race of it looking to pass... stupid..

...it's getting to the point IndyCar is a better watch....(and I never thought I'd say that)...just because they're on a shorter chassis with big power, and the driver's are always catching the car and actually driving the things...

Thanks

It is all about eye candy. Highest possible speed in a tight CBD is just fun to watch.
    On this track the cars look huge when seen from above with all the people standing around, some one made a comment that it is like riding a bicycle in a living room but mighty fast bicycles
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-05-22 at 11:43 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

...looking forward to season 2025....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ammlione (19-07-22),Johnno (19-07-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

It looks like the concept vehicle is a result of COVID.

Thanks

...looking forward to season 2025....

Methinks Ferrari should focus on designing a car that actually survives a WHOLE race

Premium Member
    Thanks

Methinks Ferrari should focus on designing a car that actually survives a WHOLE race
    LoL...didn't we used to say that back in the 70's/80's?..... I'm sure we all used to watch & wait for the red car to hemorrhage spectacularly =)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast