Thread: Trying to understand VOIP

Thanks

Default Trying to understand VOIP

Have a Samsung S9 with Wi-Fi Calling switched on.
    The phone has an ALDI Sim Card, Aldi does Not have VOIP,
    BUT
    To me I should be able to link to my Telstra NBN Modem(or Telstra MF910 modem when out in the Bush) with the Telstra modem being my preferred Internet access in the S9 to use for Wi-fi calling.
    And with reference to a Goggle query below: My phone is connected to the internet as it receives the weather etc
    And In Connections Screen , Wi-Fi references my NBN Connection and Wi-Fi Calling is switched on.

But If making a call I do not get "Internet Call" or "Wi-Fi calling" on the screen.

What am I not doing?

TIA
    Peter

Google Query
    Place a call using Wi-Fi:
    Once you’ve set up Wi-Fi calling, you can make a call over Wi-Fi just like any other call. When you’re connected to the internet, you’ll see "Internet Call" or "Wi-Fi calling" on the notification screen.

When you're not connected to Wi-Fi, your calls will use your mobile carrier, if you have one.

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Default Trying to understand VOIP

Access to both VoLTE and WiFi Calling are dependant on your mobile provider and need to be activated at the network level. Unfortunately Aldi Mobile doesn’t support either VoLTE or Wifi Calling, as with most (all?) of the Telstra MNVOs.

If you want to use either VoLTE or WiFi Calling on the Telstra network you’ll need to go with Telstra themselves (post or pre-paid) or Boost Mobile.

Edit: IMO, if you need any voice calling capability then Aldi Mobile (in fact most of the Telstra MNVOs) are not worth the money you pay. They only allow 3G voice access, no 4G voice (VoLTE or Wifi Calling) which limits coverage and greatly reduces call quality. There are better options at the same price point or a couple of dollars more that provide access to both.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 29-03-22 at 09:31 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

PeterInSa (29-03-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

What he said

If you don't like Telstra's prices (understandable), go with Boost. They are the only MVNO that uses the full (except 5G) Telstra network. Aldi, belong, etc etc all use the Telstra Wholesale network, not the retail network, which has limitations.

A hint.......if you are after a 365 day plan, check out Ebay. You can save a fortune on Boost's website prices.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gulliver (29-03-22),PeterInSa (29-03-22)

Thanks

I thought because I have a Smart phone without a Sim Card that can be connected to my Telstra NBN Modem via Wi-Fi and download data/programs from the Net I could use that gateway for Voip. ( or the S9 Aldi using the above)

For Calls: Have a Blue Tick phone T84 ( without Voip) with a Mobile Phone aerial on top of Cruiser and on top of our TV aerial in our caravan, but thought I might be able to use the Samsung when remote using the Telstra Modem on top of a 6.5m Flagpole/Aerial at the back of our caravan.

So if remote in a gully, will just have to travel to a hill with the T84/Cruiser or use the Sat phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

You can still use a third party VoIP service with your data plan (eg MyNetFone, etc), but it won’t be part of or linked to your Aldi Mobile service. It may also require additional hardware (such as a VoIP phone handset or regular phone with an ATA). For a mobile setup it would be cumbersome, and would be easier to switch to a mobile provider that uses VoLTE.

Using the Telstra T84 with Aldi Mobile unfortunately won’t give you any better reception. As mentioned previously, Aldi Mobile only permits 3G for voice, so you won’t be able to use VoLTE (ie 4G voice).

There are are a growing number of Telstra sites, more so in rural and/or remote areas, that only have 4G (ie no 3G) voice. By using a provider such as Aldi Mobile that excludes access to those sites you greatly reduce your coverage, regardless of using the Blue Tick T84 phone.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

gulliver (30-03-22),PeterInSa (30-03-22)

Thanks

My Telstra T84 has a Telstra Sim, only use it in when in the Bush, do not have a High opinion of the T84 ( Tough Max?) on past experience but it has the external aerial connect feature and I use it, or the T85 ( that has VoiP and external aerial connect) Much prefer the Samsung ( no external aerial connect)with Aldi around town for every day use.

One mate has a T85 on Boost with an 10cm aerial connect cable silicon-ed to the back of the phone for use when travelling ( to connect to his external aerial) and has an Oppo smart phone for every day. Another friend on Telstra has a 10cm aerial connect cable taped to the back of his T85 when in the bush and removes it back home.

Was hoping for something like MyNetPhone that I could run on my Samsung, Thru the Telstra modem.

Thanks
    Last edited by PeterInSa; 30-03-22 at 10:43 AM.