Thread: Russian Order Of Glory - 90175

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Russian Order Of Glory - 90175

I am back today after finding the paper work with an Order of Glory Third Class to an ethnic Russian.
    You may notice I always state " an ethic.......". That is because it wasn't Russia then, it was the USSR and many eastern european countries were part of it. So you could have an ethnic Russian, an ethic Ukrainian, or an ethic Georgian or something.

Anyway, its a reasonably low number, 90,175, out of a total of 997,815 Order of Glory Third Classes issued. So what do we have today ? Some sort of Slavic Rambo who killed 19 Germans armed with just his boot laces ? Nope, something very different, but it was awarded for a very dangerous job and he didn't just do it once either, he did it 21 times !

Nikolai Tikhonovich Tishchenko was born in 1913, so not a particularly young man and had been in the Red Army since 1941 and serving since April 1942. He was also awarded a Bravery Medal on the 5 June 1944.....the very same month he was awarded this Order of Glory Third Class. He was a Telephone Operator with the 118th Artillery Regiment, 69 Sevash Red Banner Order of Suvorov Rifle Division, 65th Army. He was lightly wounded on the 1st of September 1943 on the Belorussian Front.

I am glad I have gone back through all these awards. As I started typing, I only had one single page of research. I decided to go back through my old Gmail account that I no longer use and found 3 pages, from 2009 when I had it researched.

Award Sheet

1. Last name, name, and patrionymic: Tishchenko, Nikolai Tikhonovich

2. Rank: Senior Sergeant

3. Duty position: Telephone Operator – 118 Artillery Regiment, 69 Sevash Red Banner Order of
    Suvorov Rifle Division, 65 Army

Recommendation for the Order of Glory III Class

4. Born: 1913

5. Nationality: Russian

6. Party membership: n/a

7. Previous combat: since 12.4.42

8. Wounds or shell-shock: lightly wounded 1.9.43 on the Belorussian Front

9. Time in Red Army: since 1941

10. Inducted by: Simferopol Municipal Military Commissariat

11. Previous awards: Bravery Medal by the 118 AR dated 5.6.44

12. Native of: Simferopol

13. Home of record: Simferopol, Sevastopol St. #38. Sister – Anna Tikhovna Tishchenko

14. Unit assigned at present: 118 Artillery Regiment

Short description of personal combat feat or accomplishment

On 23 June 1944 in fighting for “No Name Hill” near Radin, Paricheskii Region, Polesse Oblast
    while situated in the lead observation post, Comrade Tishchenko maintained uninterrupted
    telephone communications with the battery commander. Disregarding his personal safety,
    Comrade Tishchenko repaired nine telephone line breaks under heavy enemy artillery and mortar
    fire.

While penetrating a heavily defended enemy defensive line in that same region on 24 June 1944
    Comrade Tishchenko, while situated in the in the battery commander’s observation position,
    maintained uninterrupted telephone communications with the battery firing position.
    Comrade Tishcheno repaired 12 telephone wire breaks under enemy artillery and mortar fire,
    thus supporting our quick delivery of artillery fire upon the enemy. As a result of our fire, the
    battery destroyed two heavy machineguns, four light machineguns, two bunkers, and suppressed
    the fire of one 81mm mortar battery.

Comrade Tishchenko was wounded in this engagement, but did not leave the battlefield and
    stayed in place to accomplish his assigned combat mission.
    Comrade Tishchenko is deserving of the Order of Glory III Class.
    Signed, Commander, 118 Artillery Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Ivanov on 2.7.44

Endorsed Artillery Commander, 69 Sevash Red Banner Order of Suvorov Rifle Division, Major
    Udushliviy on 4 July 1944
    Endorsed Commander, 69 SRBOSRD, General-Major Sankovskii on 7 July 1944
    Awarded the Order of Glory III Class by Order 96/N of the 69 Sevash Red Banner Order of Suvorov
    Rifle Division dated 10.7.44 as verified by the Chief of Personnel Major Kryutkov

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

Award Card

Order Booklet B 111273

1. Last name: Tishchenko

2. Name and patrionymic: Nikolai Tikhonovich

3. Rank: Senior Sergeant

4. Gender: Male

5. Birthyear: 1913

6. Birthplace: Simferopol

7. Party membership: since 1942

8. Education: elementary

9. Nationality: Russian

10. Time in Red Army: 6.1941-7.1945

11. Place of service at awarding: 69 Rifle Division, 118 Rifle Regiment – Scout Squad Leader

12. Place of work at present: Voroshilovgrad RU #6 – (?)

13. Home address: Voroshilovgrad, Stankostroitskii St. #63

14. Awards:

Designation Serial Number Awarding Organization

Bravery Medal 1.242.683 118 Artillery Regiment dated 5.7.44

Glory III 90.175 69 Rifle Division dated 10.7.44

Red Star 1.444.689 69 Rifle Division dated 18.10.44

OPW II 358.310 18 Rifle Corps dated 15.2.45

Verified by Voroshilovrad Municipal Military Commissariat official dated 22 May 1947

SECRET

Order 96/N of the 69 Sevash Red Banner Order of Suvorov Rifle Division dated 10 July 1944

On behalf of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet USSR, for exemplary accomplishment of the
    Command’s combat missions in battle against the German invaders and for displaying valor and
    courage, I award the following decorations:

Order of Glory III Class

(?). Senior Sergeant Nikolai Tikhonovich Tishchenko – Telephone Operator, 118 Artillery Regiment
    Signed Division Commander, General-Major Sankovskii

Administrator
    Thanks

A lovely fully original Order of Glory Third Class. Untouched since awarding, original suspension and patina and grime. Exactly how you want them. And this one has seen combat action from the time of awarding, which seems to be July 1944.

I am sure almost everyone would have seen a war movie that shows what a horrible job it was to go out in to no mans land and fix broken cables as the enemy shot at you with rifles, artillery and anything else lying around. A lot of men lost their lives. Repairing 21 different breaks in a space of 2 days would not be fun at all. It's very brave stuff and I wonder if his Bravery Medal from the same month was for the same thing ?

It is interesting to see that his Bravery Medal, Order of Glory Third Class and Red Star are all with the 69th Rifle Division (BM states 118 Artillery, which is under the 69th). But his last ward, an Order of The Great Patriotic War 2nd Class was under the 18the Rifle Corp who are possibly a different group, unless they are also under the 69th Rifle Division (finding out requires a fair bit of work).

Tishchenko was from Simerapol, wow, I am pulling them out of interesting places. On the Crimean Peninsula which Russia stole from Ukraine in 2014.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

fromaron (31-03-22)

Administrator
    Thanks

Read of Order with engraved serial number

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

allover (29-03-22)

Thanks

Interesting fact of the USSR history back then.

Judging be the name I almost guarantee that Nikolai Tischenko was Ukranian, not Russian as stated in the document. I am not starting political argument here regarding current drama between Russia and Ukraine, just want to point out simple fact - people were united together and didn't care much about their ethnicity.
    Crimean peninsula was part of Russian state back then and Nikolai was recorded as Russian.

That should be a good reminder to Russians and Ukranians today that they are pretty much brothers and sisters and what is happening today over there is an absolute disgrace. I am sure if those heroes were still around they would be really disappointed today.