Thread: Permanent Daylight Saving

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default Permanent Daylight Saving

Tomorrow the dark gloomy half year starts again.

In the USA the penny has finally fallen to make daylight saving permanent:

I can only hope we learn from that. The majority of us live near the east coast and can only benefit.
    Those who live in the west(NSW) should just get an appropriate time zone that fits their needs better.

I don't give rats if I have to get up and work a bit in the dark, I get paid for that.
    I want to enjoy an extra hour of my free time with a bit of sun shine, period
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-04-22),enf (03-04-22),Guiseppe (03-04-22),gulliver (03-04-22),shred (03-04-22),william10 (03-04-22)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

your lucky we don't have it here the half wits that think it fades their curtains and the like put the kibosh on it here

• The Following User Says Thank You to dai For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-04-22)

Thanks

As a Tasmanian, I would love to have daylight saving all year round. I get so much more done when it is in effect.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

100% in agreement Fester...totally.

My late mother, who lived in Fremantle, always said that the morons who voted against daylight saving should be stripped of the RIGHT to vote as they were too stupid to be granted such a priviledge.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-04-22),Uncle Fester (03-04-22),william10 (03-04-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,239 Times in 1,920 Posts

Yep, the same here too, couldn’t agree more Fester it just makes perfect sense, there is no downside that I can see.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

yep, the only reason I don't like daylight saving in it's current form, is the hassle of changing many clocks twice a year & body clock adjustment.

I'd be happy if they would just pick a time zone & stick with it. So yes, permanent daylight savings time is ok with me, but I'd also be happy with none at all or halfway in-between, as long as it doesn't change twice a year.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (03-04-22),gulliver (03-04-22),Uncle Fester (03-04-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 578 Posts

I hate to be the voice of dissent but I absolutely bloody loathe daylight savings and would vote to abolish it altogether rather than extend the damn thing!

It was originally introduced in wartime to get people inside before sundown during the air-raid blackouts (which has nothing to do with the electricity being off), so why we even have it nowadays is beyond me.

At least Queensland had enough brain-power to not re-introduce it.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

Jma (03-04-22),Reschs (05-04-22),wotnot (03-04-22)

Thanks

don't you fade my curtains!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mi_tasol For This Useful Post:

enf (03-04-22),wotnot (03-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post

I dunno. They re-ontroduced Palaszczuk and endless state debt, so they can't be TOO bright..

Besides, if they had it permanently it wouldn't BE daylight saving time. It would simply be "the time". A difficult intellectual concept for some, apparently for Queenslanders and Sandgropers anyway, but there you go.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    yep, the only reason I don't like daylight saving in it's current form, is the hassle of changing many clocks twice a year & body clock adjustment.

I'd be happy if they would just pick a time zone & stick with it. So yes, permanent daylight savings time is ok with me, but I'd also be happy with none at all or halfway in-between, as long as it doesn't change twice a year.

Ditto, The hour I 'gain' is lost in changing them all back:

I kid not. I take time seriously.
    Some of my time pieces are synchronised with the Japanese radio time code, that do not have DLS. Therefore they need to be opened and the hour hand carefully adjusted by hand.
    I also have a radio controlled world time watch from Citizen that does not like manual setting at all. While it can be done I keep forgetting how.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-04-22 at 01:59 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (03-04-22),Tiny (04-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (04-04-22),OSIRUS (04-04-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

Daylight saving appeals to those in metropolitan environments, where their workdays are regimented by time...ie; work from 9 to 5

Daylight saving doesn't appeal to those living in farm/rural environments, where their workdays are regimented by seasons and the amount of daylight hours...ie; work from dawn till dusk.

I recall when the Qld referendum on the matter was held, the result 'no' daylight savings reflected the demographic at the time (slightly more ppl living country/rural than lived in Brisbane/GCoast), and those living north of the southern tropic line really didn't give a toss.

Where it's bad, is moving clocks forward/back and disturbing ppl's circadian rhythm -- if one has done a lot of day/night shift work, one knows how much this stuffs your internal clock up...so changing the AU timezones permanently (relative to GMT) would be a better idea imho, and still leaves individual states/territories to apply their own timezones....ie; you can't compare summer/winter daylight hours between Hobart & Cairns equally.

The -reason- Qld had a referendum on this btw, is because the crux of it was any order would be changing 'civilian time', and so all the civilians should really have a say about that.

don't you fade my curtains!
    Haha...remember the 'how will the cows know when it's time to get milked' line back then?.....many folks don't credit how that actually impacted the milk production/processing industry...ie; cows kept on their natural timing (they don't wear watches 8), and dairy farmers were having to use more electricity, to chill their raw milk vats down to a colder temperature, because the milk tanker trucks were taking longer on the road to get to the processing plant in Brissy (the tanks on these are insulated, not refrigerated), because they were having to battle with peak hour traffic, which they usually missed...until the clocks changed =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Daylight saving appeals to those in metropolitan environments, where their workdays are regimented by time...ie; work from 9 to 5
    I reality that 9 to 5 routine effects us all.
    It effects the opening times we go to shop, when we have to bring our kids to school, delivery and customer services, TV and entertainment programming...blah blah

As said the problem should be dealt with better times zones while not having to adjust them twice a year.
    Farmers will always get up at(or a specific time before) dawn to tend their animals and that changes constantly, DLS or not.

For me the sudden change effects my digestive tract, while my cat also ignores my tedious clock adjustments and wakes me earlier to beg for nourishment.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-04-22 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

It was originally introduced in wartime to get people inside before sundown during the air-raid blackouts (which has nothing to do with the electricity being off), so why we even have it nowadays is beyond me.
    Not entirely correct, especially for NSW (where both you and I are based).

While DST was used during the war periods, it ceased after the wars ended, and wasn’t in effect in NSW for nearly the following 30 years.

It was reintroduced by referendum in NSW in 1971 due to the benefits of having more usable light ‘hours’ at the end of the day, with a significant majority voting ‘yes’. It didn’t have anything to do with the wars and the reason for DST during the wars were different.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

When I was working for a living it was always a pain trying to remember what states were on what times as I was dealing with suppliers all over the country, my usable work day was reduced to about 5 hours because WA was 2 1/2hours different to NT which was 1 1/2 hours different to some of the eastern states along with SA (1hr) and Qld who never did it. Now I could care less.

Bugga the curtains, I feel for the poor bugga that has to slow the earth down to make the days longer and then speed it up again in winter...........
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (04-04-22),enf (04-04-22),snacker (04-04-22),Tiny (05-04-22),Uncle Fester (04-04-22)

Banned
    Thanks

I obviously fully understand, and like, the concept of Daylight-Saving in general...
    but NOT to make 'SA' permanently align with the Eastern states of Australia!!! Yes, I understand about 'aligning'
    business hours for transactions/phone-calls etc, but that is NOT a necessity for EVERYONE! So 'MY' simple solution,
    is that companies/businesses in say South Australia that WANT to align themselves with Eastern States, simply start
    work a 1/2 hour earlier! No difference, and ALL other people (95%) are not affected?? What could be simpler??
    (An ex SA person)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

I hate to be the voice of dissent but I absolutely bloody loathe daylight savings and would vote to abolish it altogether rather than extend the damn thing!

I also totally loathe it.
    It completely stuffs me up and of no benefit to me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Reschs For This Useful Post:

Jma (06-04-22)