Thread: D'oh!!!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default D'oh!!!

I've flown to Brisbane to visit my daughter. Last night I get a phone call from my son telling me that my security cameras are off air. I look, and sure enough, they are! After much stuffing around, I ask him to check if the base station is connected to the router, when the penny drops. OF COURSE it's connected to the router! I unplugged the thing to "save electricery" while I was away! Doh! Turn it on and all is well again, Who'd a thunk!!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Damn that reminds of an incident from my past ~ I worked for a smallgoods company at the time ; the owner (read: dumbarse millionaire) never took a personal interest in the business, but concluded to improve profits, he'd have to get hands-on involved. We'd closed everything down, and washed the plant down for shutdown over the xmas break -- this owner had come to the plant boxing day, heard the refrigerator compressor running, and turned it off thinking we'd forgotten about it....when we got back to work a week and a half later, I was dry-reaching by the time I'd got through the front gate....about 10 tonnes of pork & beef had turned green in the fridge-room thanks to the hot Qld summer ; they had to pull the entire room down and replace all the insulation panels because you couldn't get rid of the smell...$150K and 2 weeks later, we could finally go back to work, but the whole debacle meant the company lost two national contracts, and half the employees were lain off a few months later....all because one grand idiot, turned off a switch to (his words) "save money" B^)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

eaglem (16-04-22),enf (15-04-22),Johnno (17-04-22),lsemmens (15-04-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've flown to Brisbane to visit my daughter. Last night I get a phone call from my son telling me that my security cameras are off air. I look, and sure enough, they are! After much stuffing around, I ask him to check if the base station is connected to the router, when the penny drops. OF COURSE it's connected to the router! I unplugged the thing to "save electricery" while I was away! Doh! Turn it on and all is well again, Who'd a thunk!!!!

Ha, ha you started a thread to post that brain freeze.

Maybe it would be fun if we all try to post a recent blonde moment of our own doing (I am blond, still not grey well into my 60's).
    Currently can't think of one worth reporting but I will try and see if my unawareness state of possible dementia reveals one.

I certainly suffer from absentmindedness but that has been all my life. Therefore I 'program' everything to function with out my intervention.
    My security cam system is running from my off grid battery so I can comfortably break the grid power when I leave house for a bit longer without wasting deep thought.

Only yesterday I was looking for more than an hour in panic for a misplaced SAK, a Huntsman Lite(it has a tiny flashlight), before finally a lightbulb in my head revealed that I had put it next to my shaver, a very unusual spot for me. You will always find knives near my guitars when I need to cut my nails to play, NOT in a bathroom.
    I have 13 or 14 SAKs, there you go I am not even exactly sure.

...and my shaver is never in a bath room either.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-04-22 at 12:38 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I can't recall any specific grey moments. Which may in itself be a problem.....

(I've past grey to white, although I have a full head of hair)
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks

I use sidecutters to trim my nails for guitar playing. I try to get into the habit of putting them back in the "tool box" when I've used them but have found them in some unusual spots over the years.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I use sidecutters to trim my nails for guitar playing. I try to get into the habit of putting them back in the "tool box" when I've used them but have found them in some unusual spots over the years.
    How many finger nails do you have saved in your tool box these days?

The grey fog .... I used to pay good money for drugs to would do all then things I know get for free. Just Standing up is trippy.
    If I look lost and somebody asks me, what have I lost or what am I looking for. "Drugs!"

Or one of my favorites at Emergency in Hospitals. "Do you know where you are Mr Trash?"
    That depends on how long I've been here?
    "2 hours Mr Trash!"
    Ok, that's disappointing because I was hoping this was the 1980s.
    What you year do you think this is?
    2050?
    "No it's 2020 Mr T!"
    Wow, I've traveled back in time!
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

gulliver (17-04-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Smaller scale but….I was an acting area manager for some service stations in the south west of wa and three got knocked out with power cuts. Instructed to throw any frozen stock out. I queried the bait freezers, as I didn’t think the fish would sue if they felt sick, but no, all the bait had to be thrown out…….

LSemmens
    Thanks

As an aside: send a text message to your kids - "I've lost my phone, ring me" it's a bit like "I can't find my glasses" when they are on your head!

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (17-04-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Well, I'm stuffed then..

I have a two story house and when I use the stairs, I stop midway to catch my breath. (heavy smoker & big house)
    The problem is that when I'm ready to start again, I can't remember whether I was going upstairs or downstairs. LOL

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

gulliver (17-04-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    How many finger nails do you have saved in your tool box these days?

The grey fog .... I used to pay good money for drugs to would do all then things I know get for free. Just Standing up is trippy.
    If I look lost and somebody asks me, what have I lost or what am I looking for. "Drugs!"

Or one of my favorites at Emergency in Hospitals. "Do you know where you are Mr Trash?"
    That depends on how long I've been here?
    "2 hours Mr Trash!"
    Ok, that's disappointing because I was hoping this was the 1980s.
    What you year do you think this is?
    2050?
    "No it's 2020 Mr T!"
    Wow, I've traveled back in time!
    I never successfully took drugs but these things happen when I 'wake' up in Lucid dreaming, which I remember like a wake state thus adding confusion to my absent mindedness.

Often though there are clear hints that these 'memories' are corrupt, like when I more recently 'woke up' in the house I bought in the late 80's to fry some fish fingers for brekkie only to see the use by date of 1960.
    Or I am driving around in an F1 car through a building with narrow halls and doors but I get through and end up on the driveway of the house I am currently living in but everything around me looks destroyed.
    These incidents seem very real and the memories of them as clear as anything else so sometimes it is difficult to separate if the corruption of the incident is subtle, like the size of the TV panel in front of my bed.
    Often it is only the sleep paralysis that makes me realise I was lucid dreaming.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 17-04-22 at 01:44 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

"I can't find my glasses" when they are on your head!
    I have had even two pairs of glasses(one distance, one close up) on top of my head while looking for them

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post

The problem is that when I'm ready to start again, I can't remember whether I was going upstairs or downstairs. LOL
    You're a Collingwood supporter...uncover the other eye....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    You're a Collingwood supporter...uncover the other eye....
    That's no good.. How do i remember which way to turn to the beer fridge..
    Last edited by Johnno; 17-04-22 at 04:45 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I never successfully took drugs but these things happen when I 'wake' up in Lucid dreaming, which I remember like a wake state thus adding confusion to my absent mindedness.

Often though there are clear hints that these 'memories' are corrupt, like when I more recently 'woke up' in the house I bought in the late 80's to fry some fish fingers for brekkie only to see the use by date of 1960.
    Or I am driving around in an F1 car through a building with narrow halls and doors but I get through and end up on the driveway of the house I am currently living in but everything around me looks destroyed.
    These incidents seem very real and the memories of them as clear as anything else so sometimes it is difficult to separate if the corruption of the incident is subtle, like the size of the TV panel in front of my bed.
    Often it is only the sleep paralysis that makes me realize I was lucid dreaming.
    I succeeded with honors =)

A lot of what you write here is akin to ketamine (that's the medical r-ketamine not the s-ketamine recreation drug version) ; it fuzts with the same part of the brain, rendering your consciousness into a somewhat catatonic state, allowing the subconscious dream state to exist 'while your are awake' so to speak.It's all pretty well documented on wikipedia, and having done it myself I can vouch for the accuracy and validity of noted side effects. Understanding it, at a personal level, is difficult for most folks to comprehend, and them especially because of r-ketamine's single most common side effect of engendering 'out of body experiences' and/or the ability to enable someone to 'astral travel'...all very real, your conscious mind experiencing a dream. DOM/STP can also be like this (sold on blotter paper as acid trips in the 70s)...ie; it's no coincidence you see a banana & cabana sliding like inch-worms up the main street when you're standing outside a take-away shop =)

Possibly the most well known reported case came out of the UK, of a female patient claiming she had left her body during a surgical operation, as was able to see herself being operated on, and recounting things that happened during the procedure, that she couldn't possibly been aware of, because she was under anesthesia...and they'd used r-ketamine. Anyone who'd ever 'done the stuff' immediately knew what was going on, but this all gone swallowed by the paranormal crowd as proof of there being a 'soul'...twits =)

To address topic...so it was "Do'h!!!" when I was sitting in that house one day, and thought I'd left my body and was zooming in the air down the street outside ~ what happened was I was sitting in that house one day, zapped on r-ketamine, and although catatonic my ears were still working, and I heard a car pass by on the road outside ; and my imagination did the rest. They've since learnt the use of blindfolds and earplugs, helps reduce the reports of such side effects wrt surgical procedures...ironic thing was they already knew this from veterinary practice, where r-ketamine is widely used, they just never thoughts to apply the same protocols to humans... =)