Thread: Interesting law changes afoot in England

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Interesting law changes afoot in England

YES. it is a Pay link but so far, I've been able to click on cancel and see it.
    What concerns me, is not, so much the technology, but the stupid ingenu- ity of some drivers.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Drivers can watch TV whilst driving... but using mobile phones will still be illegal.

Where's the logic in that?

At least you can still be looking at the road whilst talking on the phone.

Personally, I don't like the concept of driverless cars at all.

Auto pilot on aircraft...sure, but that's not allowed when around other aircraft in close proximity... on the ground.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-04-22),enf (20-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Driverless cars should be indentifiable so the rest of us can see where they are..not keen on them at all.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-04-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Watch YT dashcam videos has me sitting on the fence.... autodrive may be safer than some drivers =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Watch YT dashcam videos has me sitting on the fence.... autodrive may be safer than some drivers =)
    Yes - I’m in two minds. Initially, self driving cars will make a lot of mistakes and will kill people, but over time, they will get better and better. I find it hard to believe that overall, a mature self driving system would fail to do a better job than the average driver - the human who may fall asleep, be distracted by screaming kids in the back seat or by a mobile phone.

The problem is that almost every driver thinks that they are a better driver than the average driver (statistically impossible) and that they do a better job than the computer. As a society, we willingly accept the daily carnage on our roads (1200 Australians killed or seriously injured every year) while it is mostly caused by human error… but when a self driving car kills someone, we all lose our minds over it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (20-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    ...............................… but when a self driving car kills someone, we all lose our minds over it.
    But it DIDN'T self drive did it, it self crashed.....

Too many years in computing ... sorry not keen.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

eaglem (23-04-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Once the bugs are ironed out, In a low speed environemt, city traffic, likely safer than easily distracted, intoxicated and careless humans.

Would I want one?
    At this stage not at all but who knows when I get older(over 80), might be safer although if I reach that age I will likely be too stubborn and want to drive the old fashioned way as I avoid driving in metro areas anyway.

The technology has not reached the point when a driver can watch TV and should never be.
    Basically that can only be achieved when there is no need access to any controls, hence literally a driverless passenger vehicel, where there is no steering wheel just an emergency brake with mechanical redundancy when there is a power failure or software error/hack and no time for a reboot.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Once the bugs are ironed out, In a low speed environemt, city traffic, likely safer than easily distracted, intoxicated and careless humans.

Would I want one?
    At this stage not at all but who knows when I get older(over 80), might be safer although if I reach that age I will likely be too stubborn and want to drive the old fashioned way as I avoid driving in metro areas anyway.

The technology has not reached the point when a driver can watch TV and should never be.
    Basically that can only be achieved when there is no need access to any controls, hence literally a driverless passenger vehicel, where there is no steering wheel just an emergency brake with mechanical redundancy when there is a power failure or software error/hack and no time for a reboot.
    I thought all that was called a bus. By the time they are "safe" I'll be too old and probably be on public buses anyway, and everyone else can spend $gazillions on their own passenger buses.

eaglem (23-04-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If All cars were self drive, I'd suggest that the accident rate would be almost zero. The problem being, the idiots behind the wheel who think that: - rules don't apply to them - they have better control than self drive - blah blah!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Three times stopped at red traffic lights, I've had 2 cars roll into the back of me, and one roll backwards into me -- in the first 2 instances, same set of traffic lights ..5 big red ones, I drive an R31 with 4 big 'hotplate' style tailights & a high mount center brake light....makes no frigging difference.

These people are idiots, they should not be in control of such a machine IMO, and if the machine can stop itself from rolling into something when the human cannot, then so be it.

The sight that scares the begeezuz out of me, is when traveling behind some traffic @ 100kph, some twat has a lapse changing lanes and hits the brakes to avoid collision...and you see the brake lights on that car start flashing, which to me signifies that ABS & ESC have taken control, because the driver hasn't a clue what to do...or has done the wrong thing to begin with. Things like ABS & ESC are safer, but at the same time create less skilled drivers...they never learn how to avoid locking brakes, they never learn how to control the vehicle in anything but ideal/normal driving conditions and operations. It's lucky downunder, where drivers don't face ice/snow for the most part.

Ironically, one of the best examples of ABS/ESC/TC in action, was that dashcam footage of that bloke in Newcastle who stole that Audi V10 and drove it in metaphorical fashion ; those systems saved that guy's life more than twice by my reckoning. Does machine AI need to grow the ability to crash/disable a car/vehicle? Five Gee...5G...

AU needs it's own Volkswagen, make it EV...name it Skippy, because the autodrive still isn't any better than a human, when it comes to avoiding a 'roo =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (22-04-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Three times stopped at red traffic lights.... and one roll backwards into me --
    Happened to me too and that driver who was ignorant of the law of gravity (and physics like almost all drivers in Australia) blamed me for rear ending him by rolling up a hill.
    Luckily I had a 2 cubic metre man as a passenger with me who 'hammered' some sense into that obnoxious driver. This was long before dash cams.

@Enf, where I live there ARE NO busses (spoken like Dr E. Brown about the lack of roads in Back to the Future for flying cars, only wth the difference that in my present public transport is just simply appalling).
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

eaglem (23-04-22),enf (22-04-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Happened to me too and that driver who was ignorant of the law of gravity (and physics like almost all drivers in Australia) blamed me for rear ending him by rolling up a hill.
    Luckily I had a 2 cubic metre man as a passenger with me who 'hammered' some sense into that obnoxious driver. This was long before dash cams.

@Enf, where I live there ARE NO busses (spoken like Dr E. Brown about the lack of roads in Back to the Future for flying cars, only wth the difference that in my present public transport is just simply appalling).
    Point noted Fester.

I drive one of the last VFII Redlines made. It has enhanced features like ABS, Collision Avoidance, proximity detectors for the quarter blind spot and such. These features work pretty well. The blind spot detector lights up the outside of the wing mirrors. The problem is that it just doesn't always work, and (I have been guilty of this) you can just learn to rely on it too much and get lazy in your awareness...something that would never have happened to me with older cars. The heads up display is handy, although at my age I am conditioned to instinctively lower my head to tacho and speedo level. The Collision Avoidance is a bit odd. It gives the driver a chance to take action before it does anything, although its parameters seem a little too sensitive for me.

It also has lane following technology that I have turned off, especially on the highway. It yells at you when you take a line on a corner, because it can percieve that you are drifting in the lane. Such a thing has limited use while slowly passing through a country town as it allows you to gawk and rubberneck a little.

I AM NOT opposed to this stuff, just wary of it is all.

eaglem (23-04-22)