Thread: Old 'Portable' apps on Win-10 !!

Banned
    Thanks

Default Old 'Portable' apps on Win-10 !!

I really like (and have a lot of) 'Portable' apps, as there is no setting up, and can run everywhere...
    I've found though, that Win-10 seems to have about 80% problem with running them now!!...
    Yes, I've tried to research the problem, but there seems to be numerous links to numerous 'fixes', and although I've tried a LOT of them,
    I've not had any success so far. Let me explain what I've noticed so far... When there is a problem, (most times!), upon running them,
    there is an immediate unspecified problem Msg-Box, indicating an error number "0x8004005". Numerous link to this have confused me!

Stepping back a bit, I've noticed that there a 2 main types of 'Portables'. (Exposed upon UN-archiving them). The 'usual' ones to me, expand to a directory
    containing the main executable like 'portable-xyz.exe', ALONG with built in sub-directories of the likes of 'App' and 'Data' or what ever, that is relative, and
    looked for, by the main executable... THESE types seem to run/execute OK!! However...

A lot of other/old(?) portable-executables, After UN-archiving, ONLY have a single executable to run, with no other pre-defined sub-directories present?
    In all of those cases, for Win-10, the 'portable-app' refuses to run, and immediately throws up the error mentioned above... Sigh...

HOWEVER, one of my 'VirtualBox' options is for 'Win-7'. Upon setting up a 'Shared-Folder', and putting the 'Portables' there with just the single Executable,
    and running Win-7 in VirtualBox, they all work FINE!! Is there something that I am missing Re: Win-10???

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Possibly a privilege violation ~ set permissions on executable to 'Run as Administrator' to find out

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Possibly a privilege violation ~ set permissions on executable to 'Run as Administrator' to find out
    Thanks mate... THAT WORKED!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Brought to you by the letter P, the number 10, and plenty of WINE...

...and remember....Wine Is Not an Emulator....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Brought to you by the letter P, the number 10, and plenty of WINE...

...and remember....Wine Is Not an Emulator....
    Ahhh... Sherlock Holmes informed me that you are alluding to the Huawei P10, running 'Wine' as an 'Emulator',
    (Sorry, it is NOT an 'Emulator' haha...
    Re: My initial post...
    Thank you again for solving that... I guess I was most confused when trying to 1st run them, that they
    would come up with the following 'error' message...

With no mention of a security/permission problem?? However, all is well now, thanks!
    P.S.
    I like Wine too, except for the headaches in the morning!!!
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 26-04-22 at 10:07 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Iirc we unraveled that error code when trying to get dotNET 2.0 to install in $wineprefix ; I don't/haven't done windows, just familiar with it's various error codes

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (27-04-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Never been a fan of WINE, more fond of BEER: Better Experience with Emulated Renditions - just made that up

The only time I successfully used WINE was when the first etax came out and would only work with the dreaded Internet Explorer.

Yes, setting all your old and creative Windows portable applications to run as Administrator is a standard procedure. I rarely found the necessity to use compatibility mode.
    Installing files in a big mess all over the place like Windows is outdated.

With a Mac, most apps are portable. Just copy it into your application folder and if you don't want it any more, into the bin.

Most of the time if is not portable I won't use it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (25-05-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Never been a fan of WINE, more fond of BEER: Better Experience with Emulated Renditions - just made that up

The only time I successfully used WINE was when the first etax came out and would only work with the dreaded Internet Explorer.

Yes, setting all your old and creative Windows portable applications to run as Administrator is a standard procedure. I rarely found the necessity to use compatibility mode.
    Installing files in a big mess all over the place like Windows is outdated.

With a Mac, most apps are portable. Just copy it into your application folder and if you don't want it any more, into the bin.

Most of the time if is not portable I won't use it.
    Sorry, I know this post is old now, mate...
    Yea, I DO like Portables, for all the obvious reasons, although the 'drawback' is usually the initial File-Size/Overhead, (to contain all the under the hood elements!),
    but with modern computers/laptops that isn't ever a problem. My system & 24 Gb RAM never even flinches at anything I ever run!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (28-05-22)