Thread: Formatted SD card & GARMIN GPSMAP 62S

Thanks

Default Formatted SD card & GARMIN GPSMAP 62S

I have an old Garmin GPSMAP 62S which I haven't used in years. Decided to use it for a bush walk. When I plugged the GPS into my computer using a USB it only showed a 2gb storage and I had checked when I put new batteries in it had a 16gb SD Card. I thought OK I will format which I did and it still showed 2gb. I went into disk management (Windows) and deleted the 2gb drive that was showing.
    I then did the factory reset by pressing the PAGE + ENTER button and then powering the GPS on. I thought that would return the GPS back to how it was when I bought it, like a phone with all files reinstalled. That was not the case, as when I turn on the GPS it seems to work OK but there is no map showing now. I just have the blue diamond shape icon on a blank screen. (NO I DID NOT CREATE A BACK UP) yes stupid me.

I have tried contacting Garmin via their Facebook messenger no reply and I will give them a call during the week.

What I wanted to know what folders or files am I actually missing apart from a map. Is there a link or somewhere I can download the factory default folders/files from as I've looked everywhere I can with no luck.
    I have attached a link of three screenshots of what is on my Garmin now. Hope someone might be able to assist or point me in the right dirrection.

Thanks Bryan

Look Here ->

Thanks

Someone here will have a “proper” map for the GPS. It’s not great for bushwalking, but for riding rail trails and bush walks on popular trails, I use OpenStreetMap. You can generate your own package of maps using this site:

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I'm guessing here so make of it what you will: You may need to use the Garmin to format the card. It could set up the files structure to suit itself
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

[QUOTE=shred;857271]Someone here will have a “proper” map for the GPS. It’s not great for bushwalking, but for riding rail trails and bush walks on popular trails, I use OpenStreetMap. You can generate your own package of maps using this site:

I think the reset put all relevant files as per my images I posted just not a map or am I missing something else as in a folder or file?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 570 Posts

Default Formatted SD card & GARMIN GPSMAP 62S

Have you tried using Garmin Express? It may well download the original files and map that were installed.

Edit: Otherwise if you are after a later map you can find Garmin Topo v6 Lite on ‘other’ sites - this should work ok on there.
    Last edited by peteramjet; 26-04-22 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    Have you tried using Garmin Express? It may well download the original files and map that were installed.

Edit: Otherwise if you are after a later map you can find Garmin Topo v6 Lite on ‘other’ sites - this should work ok on there.
    Ok I will try and look on other sites.

Thanks

Here's a screen shot of the memory card in my 64s (not the same model, but broadly similar):

* BirdsEye has some of the crusty maps that came with the device, I think
    * gmapbmap.img is the "base map", which from distant memory is a very coarse map of the globe. IIRC, it gives the elevation in areas of about 400m x 400m ( but I could be getting confused with the base map on the cycling computer I used to have).
    * The GPX directory is all my saved tracks

If you search these forums for "topo", you'll find a lot of old discussions around the Garmin Topo v4 and Topo v5 maps. I have no idea if the download links still work.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

The images in the first post look like it's only the internal storage of the 62s shown, not the MicroSD card, size looks about right.
    Not seeing the 16 GB card could mean it's a faulty card, unformatted card, not inserted correctly or the device's card slot may not be working.
    I'd say you got lucky and the format didn't work correctly on the internal storage if the device still works ok but just has no map.
    Formatting an internal storage area on a Garmin device is a great way to create a new paperweight, you might hear the term 'bricked' occasionally, that's one way it can happen

Any MicroSD card should be ideally formatted as FAT32, it can be done while in the device but I prefer to format with it removed and in a card reader, that way there's no chance of formatting the wrong thing by accident.

Some good info there, the Files and Folders page shows what should be on the device itself and what should be on the MicroSD card.

You need a basemap as it appears there's none in your images.
    This one should do the trick - password = austech

Go here for free topo maps of Australia -

Go here for the latest free Open Street Maps of Australia -
    Get it free via the torrent.

Good luck!

EDIT: the basemap goes in the Garmin folder on the device, same place you see the gmaptz.img in your pic.
    There may or may not be room for other maps you want to put on there, if there is they go in the same spot as the gmaptz.img.
    If there's not, on a newly formatted MicroSD card create a folder named Garmin and put them in there, if all is working ok the device will recognise them on the first startup after the card is added and they should show up where you set which maps to enable/disable.
    You don't need all the files/folders shown on GPSrChive's explanation of what goes in the MicroSD directory, but the folder named Garmin is required for any extra maps to go in.
    Last edited by Jma; 27-04-22 at 01:31 AM.
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

shred (27-04-22)

Thanks

@Jma Yes the image was from the internal memory of the GPS. It is completely different to that of what shred posted above your post. Which showed what they have on their memory card. I will check the link out that you have posted. Main thing is knowing what folders/files I should have showing on my internal.
    I don't think it is a paper weight or (bricked) just missing some files to render it operational again. I will have to do a lot more work to get to that stage, but I am hopeful.
    Last edited by aussiebryan; 27-04-22 at 12:38 PM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Shred's image to me looks like the contents of the device, not a card, but I don't have one so not 100% sure of that, all my Garmin devices have a similar file structure on the devices themselves.

You mention in the first post that it seemed to work ok just no map showing?
    First thing I would try is updating via Garmin Express.
    Garmin Express might even replace the basemap (gmapbmap.img) while updating, but if it doesn't grab the basemap by clicking the zippyshare link I provided and click the big orange 'Download Now' over on the right of the page that opens.
    Once you have the file enter the password (austech) when extracting, and then place the gmapbmap.img file in the Garmin folder on the device.
    Also add another map, either one of your choosing or maybe the ShonkyMap or the OpenMapChest street map, put it in the same place as the gmapbmap.img file.

If it still doesn't work after updating and adding the maps perhaps try another reset, there's a couple of different resets can be done:

hold (Page) + (Enter) + cycle (Power) = Hard Reset (erases all user data)

or

hold (Quit) + (Menu) + (Out) + cycle (Power) = Master Reset (restores default settings + language selection)

If the above doesn't get it working again then what to try next is probably above my paygrade unfortunately...
    Stop using acronyms!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Shred's image to me looks like the contents of the device, not a card
    Yes - that's the internal storage for the 64S.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Jma (27-04-22)

Thanks

Hi JMA. I downloaded the file from zippy. One of my mates has a 64S and said I can copy the stuff off his device and said he had topo AUS & NZ on it. Would that be ok or will it not work on my 62S?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

G'day Bryan,
    Garmin locks their own Topo maps to specific devices or SD cards, if this is the case with his then it probably can't be used on another device.
    Any map that is unlocked should work.
    Stop using acronyms!!