Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Music Notes!! A pretty Global language!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I hit brown notes all the time. Fortunately the rest of the band think I'm improvising. Half the time, the key they tell me is just not the key they are playing in. Like saying a song is in E because the first chord is an Em which, looking at the rest of the piece it actually resolves within a couple of bars to C major. That being the problem when you are the only member who knows ANY theory or how to read music. And I cannot pay by ear, so I NEED music.
    That's funny!!!
    As per the rest, yea, I couldn't count the number of times I've tried to explain the 'Key' to people, especially where there are 'Relative' Minors involved.
    And that apart from something 'being' in a Minor Key, that there are many 'Minors' played as 'Transitions' between Major Chords etc. Like for example, you would know...
    A transition from say a G chord to a C chord may be an Em (minor), or from a C to a D is an Am chord. It's called progressing in '5ths'. (Beyond the talk here).
    Apart from that, (as also in your stated error above also in bold), the 1ST note/chord in a song/tune is often NOT the real start! Sometimes, (as you would know), that
    1ST note/chord may be the 'last' note in a 4/4 timing Bar, for instance, with the 1st 3 notes missing, but that is made up for, with the LAST Bar of the Loop only having the
    1st 3 notes, as when it repeats again, that 'missing' note is the last part of the 1st Bar again!! (I'm sure you know what I mean, hahaha Sigh...)

Minor chords etc can be beautiful, and add a lot to the dimension/feel/mood of a musical piece. As to the last part of your statement...
    I've found, over decades in our 'Folk' scene at least, that most guitarists play by ear, but the likes of Violinists/Flautists have classical background training. However!,
    they 'like' the informalness of our 'Sessions', and are free to Ad-lib & add their own expressions & have fun with it all!! I guess I am 'blessed' with being able to "play by ear"
    too, for the vast majority of the time!, and accompanying stuff I've never even heard before usually only takes a few Bars!! (I can't explain how...). And my main Guitar playing
    'style', usually consists of a mixture of backing chords, intermixed with various melodies & harmonies. And I love 'Key Changes' mid song/tune hahaha...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I like playing in minor keys.

I rarely play chords the way you should starting with the first as the more dominant lowest note, especially on a keyboard, often out of laziness because I often only have to move one finger in the middle to change it and then the lowest key does become the first. As I always played chords broken this confused some who wanted to pick with me when I was still playing with others.

On a guitar I am not sure what scales I am using when I improvise. Pentatonic with blue notes obviously but I also like minor seconds and major seconds so I end up with a nonatonic scale.
    But that is only when I am deliberately focussing on it. I vary a lot from there too.

On a keyboard I can't bend strings so the lowered fifth and seventh (and sometimes major second before third) are played a fraction before that actual fifth and seventh and released just in time so it sounds like bended up, blue NOT brown note
    These days I might play keyboard only 2-3 times a year so they do sound brown until I get the knack again.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (29-05-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    . And I love 'Key Changes' mid song/tune hahaha...
    In the band I played with in Darwin, I'd park myself behind the Keyboard and follow him. It wouldn't matter what happened, I was fine. Sadly, these days our keys player is not as confident and gets flustered when someone is "over her shoulder" so I am now on the opposite side of the stage. The guitarist moves around too much to reliably follow him so, I must follow the chart. I usually play Bass these days, so it is not as much of an issue as when I was the primary guitarist (rhythm only).
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (29-05-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I like playing in minor keys.

I rarely play chords the way you should starting with the first as the more dominant lowest note, especially on a keyboard, often out of laziness because I often only have to move one finger in the middle to change it and then the lowest key does become the first. As I always played chords broken this confused some who wanted to pick with me when I was still playing with others.

On a guitar I am not sure what scales I am using when I improvise. Pentatonic with blue notes obviously but I also like minor seconds and major seconds so I end up with a nonatonic scale.
    But that is only when I am deliberately focussing on it. I vary a lot from there too.

On a keyboard I can't bend strings so the lowered fifth and seventh (and sometimes major second before third) are played a fraction before that actual fifth and seventh and released just in time so it sounds like bended up, blue NOT brown note
    These days I might play keyboard only 2-3 times a year so they do sound brown until I get the knack again.
    Woo hoo, I love it when you say things like that!! What you are hinting at in bold above, is what is called 'Inversions' !!!!
    There are so many ways to play a 'Chord', and 1st & 2nd Inversions make the 'Transitions' flow beautifully!!
    On a piano keyboard it is luckily laid out in a generally linear progressive line that seems to make 'sense'...
    but on guitar it does take another dimension in 'thinking', as auto progressions just seem to add to the 'lilt'....
    Damn it.. the missus & I are outside drinking, and playing numerous 'oldies'. Not party music, but we love it!!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (31-05-22),Uncle Fester (30-05-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Woo hoo, I love it when you say things like that!! What you are hinting at in bold above, is what is called 'Inversions' !!!!
    There are so many ways to play a 'Chord', and 1st & 2nd Inversions make the 'Transitions' flow beautifully!!
    On a piano keyboard it is luckily laid out in a generally linear progressive line that seems to make 'sense'...
    but on guitar it does take another dimension in 'thinking', as auto progressions just seem to add to the 'lilt'....
    Damn it.. the missus & I are outside drinking, and playing numerous 'oldies'. Not party music, but we love it!!!
    There is one incident I will never forget regarding one of these inversions.
    A large open air festival(the largest I ever been on +15k), I was alone on stage doing a soundcheck while the audience was all busy with themselves,
    so I felt comfortably on my own.
    I was trying a combination of a DI box I built that had overdrive with a bucket bridge short delay/chorus on one channel (kind of my clone of Tom Scholz's Rockman)
    and a mike on front of my amp on the other channel and was not aware that the PA mixer had my channels turned up very high, as the DI can not cause any acoustic feedback.
    So I randomly played the intro of Highway to Hell but I differ from the masters. When I hit the standard D chord I also use my thumb on the low E-string to play the F# and then slide with the thumb to G on the same sting while just lowering the ring finger onto the first and second string at the same time(lifting index and middle finger) turning the D chord into a cheeky lazy G.

The result that roared back from the PA and echoed from the surrounding forest stopped the whole crowd in their tracks.
    The resonance from floor of the portable stage felt like an earthquake and all because of that low F# that you would otherwise never get on a D chord, just playing a simple guitar.
    Then the crowd started to roar.
    I raised both hands and bowed and quickly ran off embarrassed.
    I sneaked around to the back (about 100m away) and told the mixer to lower my faders a tad.

Ahh.. Finally F1 is starting after the rain, gonna be a late night unless I fall asleep
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (31-05-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    There is one incident I will never forget regarding one of these inversions.
    ke and all because of that low F# that you would otherwise never get on a D chord, just playing a simple guitar.
    What do you mean "never get" a low F# on a D chord playing a simple guitar, I almost always play the D chord with the Low F# just like I usually play a C chord with the low G. I'm not a lead guitarist, nor am I classically trained, but I can play rhythm and many of the common "unusual" chords with little difficulty. It's only when you get into the realms of Jazz chords that things get "interesting"

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (31-05-22)

Banned
    Thanks

To both "Uncle Fester" & "lsemmens" above...
    Very OCCASIONALLY, I will adopt the "Drop-D" tuning, (you guys will know what I mean!), where the lower 'E' is tuned down to a 'D'...
    That can be very effective, unplugged, to add to the richness of certain Chords & Harmonies... but I'm generally different...
    As for a 'Thumb' on the bottom/base string... That was John Denver's 'signature' playing style, but I have NEVER done that, also.
    And as talented as he OBVIOUSLY was, it does not make it 'right'. I was going to digress about 'finger-positioning', but I know that
    is very personally 'subjective'. All I can say, is that actual 'fingering' of chords etc, is that it should allow fluid/smooth transitions from
    one chord to the next!! And I have my own opinions/reasons for that statement.

For instance, I use just 2 fingers to play an 'A' Chord with those 3 strings! Unless one has tiny fingers like a 10 y/o Japanese girl, it is
    very easy after a few minutes!... but the CRUX of the matter is that there are NOW very easy 'transitions' from there to an 'Em', etc or
    even back to a 'D', with very little finger movement! when playing quickly!! MY biggest failure is in playing the 'F' Chord in the Key of 'C'...

To lsemmens more specifically, when you speak of the F# on the low E string with a 'D' chord, it can get lost a bit when 'amplified',
    especially if you are mainly 'leading' in the key of 'D' with an actual melody/harmony... and is generally not played... (Good that you can though!).
    Now, when you are playing in a lot of 'Minor' Keys, (like the 'Signature' is in the key of 'D', but you are playing a lot of say 'Em' chords (instead of 'G'),
    then you are generally in a different harmonics realm of note progressions, like for example actually in 'E Dorian', but that's beyond the scope here!

My 'missus' & I have recently initiated a real 'Trad' (Traditional Irish) local session(s) here, and were amazed at the initial turnout!!! ONE thing that I
    have always kept in mind, over my 25 years involvement interstate, is that general 'professional' violinists & 'Floutists' amongst others,are generally
    Classically trained... but LOVE the 'informal' & fun involvement with us, over the years, where they can 'Add-lib' and enjoy themselves!!!
    However, over the many years, I've found that 'most' Guitarists do NOT have classical training, but love/contribute greatly, all the same!!!

It 'seems' that that is where I'm coming back in! hahaha... To make them feel welcome, to help when/where we can, and to supply highly customized
    music sheets to them, so they can follow the basic backing chords etc, in various Keys, when such actual 'Tunes' are played!! They don't need to
    understand 'Music' as such, but can now join in!!! It's NOT all such 'Trad' Tunes, and a lot of old familiar 'songs' are sung too... I wasn't going to include
    it, but here's one example of the many that I am printing for those who want help! Containing SIMPLE explanations...

Banned
    Thanks

OHHH... And in the 'Theme' of my 'original Post here...
    Over all these years, I've been 'blessed' at numerous & various 'Concerts' etc, to have played both informally & formally, with talented
    musicians, from the likes of Japan, the Philippines, Sweden & Denmark etc., where the only 'commonality' was 'Music'...
    And we always got the message across... Actual 'Words' were never a part of it!! It is not 'Rocket Science!!"
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 02-06-22 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks

Drop D, hell yeah, awesome metal sounds although more popular starting 1990's, so more my kids generation.
    I generally play the old fashioned standard tuning but occasionally experiment around especially on the 7 string. When I saw/listened to this 6 years ago I had to get a 7 string:

Must be listened with high quality head phones otherwise the magic bass lines are lost.
    No I am kidding of course, it was after I heard him played this :

Note he doesn't use the thumb of his left hand, so a true to style classic player.

The thumb on the low E (yes blasphemy for a classic guitarist) becomes a necessity to mute it when you play overdrive electric to avoid it from starting an unwanted feed back on it's own but also to play muted staccato notes, so it is just a slight change of pressure between muted and actual fingered note and as said just sliding it while it is swinging to the next note makes awesome transitions.
    Playing electric is all about controlling it so you can get the right harmonics.
    None of this thumb control makes sense on an acoustic and totally impractical with a Spanish(nylon string) guitar.
    But if you look closely at Dr. Viossy's second video he is using the thumb on his RIGHT hand to control the E, when he is not blocking it with his arm at the bridge.

I rarely play chords, usually make my own riffs that sometimes resemble chords but broken up.

My wife is from the Philippines and yes music plays a big role in their social gatherings but it is all about singing karaoke, both their traditional as well as our western contemporary, well relative to their age group.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-06-22 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks

What do you mean "never get" a low F# on a D chord playing a simple guitar, I almost always play the D chord with the Low F# just like I usually play a C chord with the low G. I'm not a lead guitarist, nor am I classically trained, but I can play rhythm and many of the common "unusual" chords with little difficulty. It's only when you get into the realms of Jazz chords that things get "interesting"
    G on low E for C chord is easy with barre but that is not the interval I am talking about.
    Using the index finger for F# on the open D chord that everybody uses is a bit acrobatic, do-able but a bit clumsy.

I find the secret to guitar playing is trying not to work so hard. Look at the second video in my former post, it sometimes looks like he barely move his fingers, certainly relaxed and looks easy until you try, ha ha.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (09-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I agree Fester I use 3&4 to play the low G&C on a Cmaj Chord. generally I also use either 1 as a barre to make the A chord in the open position or 4 when moving up the fretboard. I always look for minimal movement between chord changes. I wish I could play as well as that bloke in your second vid. I am strictly a strummer (yes I do play individual notes sometime, but I AM NOT, nor, ever will be a lead guitarist. I do, however, play bass more often these days)

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (09-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Hmmm... To Uncle Fester & lsemmens ... I thank you for, and understand all your responses!!... But to clarify something...
    When 'I' play, I seem to cross paths/styles/techniques all at the same time!! For instance, Some people just play simple 'Backing' Chords.
    OTHERS tend to play what one would call 'LEAD', where there fingers are all over the place, playing 'actual' melodies/harmonies etc...

However... I quickly 'learnt' many years ago that... Hmmm... Chord Shapes ALSO contain the INDIVIDUAL progressive NOTES that are typically
    played, so instead of just 'STRUMMING' that 'range' of notes, one can 'pick' a melody/harmony using JUST those common Chord Shape notes!!
    What does that mean??? Well instead of ones fingers rapidly traversing certain Strings in order to follow a 'Melody', that by recognizing actual
    Chord Shapes, and all the 'Notes' that they contain, you can INTERMIX notes/harmonies/chords with VERY limited hand/finger movements!!!
    Somehow, it seems to work for me!! Throughout my 'Playing', my Left hand is always holding 'Shapes', that my right hand will follow!! Sorry... It's weird...

Thanks

...one can 'pick' a melody/harmony using JUST those common Chord Shape notes!!
    What does that mean??? Well instead of ones fingers rapidly traversing certain Strings in order to follow a 'Melody', that by recognizing actual
    Chord Shapes, and all the 'Notes' that they contain, you can INTERMIX notes/harmonies/chords with VERY limited hand/finger movements!!!
    Somehow, it seems to work for me!! Throughout my 'Playing', my Left hand is always holding 'Shapes', that my right hand will follow!! Sorry... It's weird...
    I method I sometimes use and then actually play chords with a few variations is an alternate thumb picking together with index and middle finger and occasional ring finger played so that is sounds like a melody when you change one string of the chords.
    So the thumb alternates over the low E, A, and D string while and the other fingers operate D, G B E strings also alternately together with the thumb and then in between the thumb notes.
    It is more an exercise for the right hand with the same pattern but the left hand creates the melody with chord changes. That is also one way of creating broken chords.
    Is that somehow what you mean?
    To be honest I am not very good at that because it requires regular practice, which I don't do and also good fingernails but mine are usually broken from building things.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-06-22 at 12:37 AM.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (07-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yes, I would still include that as part of the rhythm than the lead. I do similar at times. Most music is Chordal in it's structure so, if you are playing a specific chord, the note you are singing is usually one of the notes within said chordal structure. eg. playing a Cmaj means you are most likely singing a C, E, or G note. It gets harder when you move into Jazz, of course.

Thanks

Yes, I would still include that as part of the rhythm than the lead. I do similar at times. Most music is Chordal in it's structure so, if you are playing a specific chord, the note you are singing is usually one of the notes within said chordal structure. eg. playing a Cmaj means you are most likely singing a C, E, or G note. It gets harder when you move into Jazz, of course.
    It is borderline.
    It can sound like a catchy melody riff as long as you don't repeat it more than 2-3 times. There are quiet a few progressions , with each lasting never longer than two beats of a bar.
    I used these melodic alternate fingerpicking 'exercises' a quite few times as an intro before I kick the overdrive pedal and go beserk
    ...and then back a shocker melodic break

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

....which global language(s) does this speak to?....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (09-06-22),Uncle Fester (09-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    ....which global language(s) does this speak to?....

One where it is important not to lose your marbles ...sorry couldn't resist.

Damn this guy has been busy since I last saw that video:

Banned
    Thanks

That's fantastic!!! And I think it speaks a VERY global language, either on Earth or to Aliens!! to those that appreciate non-categorized
    music, as well as a demonstration of the abilities of some people to design & build such Mechanical Marvels!...
    Speaking of such 'Mechanical' creations, I wasn't comfortable when years ago, Carl Sagan helped put together the likes of an actual 'Record'
    onboard the original Voyager space crafts, that one day Aliens may find!! I understand the thought process, being that the simpleness of such
    an item for a needle to drag along tracks, would be the easiest non-electronic cross-intelligence way to try & get some messages across...
    However... I couldn't help feel that it also made us look DUMB!! Oh well...

Banned
    Thanks

I thank you all for your intelligent responses!!... but I think I will 'finalize' things with something a bit different!!...
    Somewhere way back in all this, I (we) had talked about melodies/harmonies as opposed to 'Actual' words in say a 'Song'...
    Lets maybe foolishly go back to what 'Aliens' might like/appreciate??? 'Music' IS, like it or not, quite mathematically structured,
    so surely they would/could/differentiate those specific Frequency Boundaries/notes!!?? Well, I would like to 'think' so anyway...

But now I'm going to finally digress again!! I am WELL aware that 'music' is very 'subjective', and that a lot of what pleases 'ME'
    may not be 'party-music' etc. But it doesn't mean it is not good!! I 'think "Uncle Fester" & I have similar tastes in life/general...
    and I can understand (I think?) his dis-like(?) of wording in certain songs/tunes... BUT sometimes, the simple NOTES, are just too
    beautiful to not think about & appreciate!! I do not have a lot of time left, as I've said to some, but I want this played at my
    funeral. It is often called "The Humming Chorus"... Because there are NO words!, and it is just 'hummed'. On my death bed I will
    also 'hum' it as I say goodbye to this interesting World!! It is written by the famous Giacomo Puccini, for the play "Madam Butterfly"
    I sincerely hope I don't 'offend' our Alien friends on the day!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (10-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Speaking on the 'End', but on a Lighter Side! hahahha...
    Robbin Hood was on his death bed, and his merry men gathered around him.
    Robbin said... "Let me shoot one last arrow in the sky, and where it lands, I shall be burried!!".
    And so it came to pass, that Robbin Hood was finally laid to rest....
    On top of the Wardrobe !!!! hahaha

• Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast