Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Music Notes!! A pretty Global language!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Doesn't sound 'atonal' to me. I think that term itself is an oxymoron.
    The first video is relaxing(I love trains) and sounds a bit like 12 tone music but more pleasing, not complex.
    The quarter tones or what ever intervals of the second video seem just like short accents between standard intervals not unlike my heavy use of bending strings.
    It is a shame very little of that music was actually performed, the guy just talked too much.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    Maybe we just don't 'Know' when/if we 'hear' it...but simply remember some spark in the brain while listening, but just don't connect the dots!!
    EVIDENTLY, (or so I am 'told')... one of the most beautiful Chords on a Guitar is a true 'E' Chord?? Without getting too mathematically 'Technical',
    it seems to have as much to do with the string 'Harmonics' that can get produced with the likes of a 'Guitar' as opposed to a Piano etc...
    Harmonics & 5ths etc, are in a World of their own, even when just 'Touching' certain Strings!, as I'm sure you have found, deliberate or otherwise!!

Generally the low E can become a drone, a string that vibrates on it's own but in this case it should not when you play other chords.
    With the open E chord you can whack all the strings but even though there is an E in A chords the low one can sound a bit off so you don't strum it, which takes away volume and depth.
    Barre fixes this problem at least up the 5th fret (A) but any higher things start to thin out.

As said I don't play these chords with lots of strings at the same time because they annoy me and things also get very messy with the harmonics when you overdrive, also with an organ where the coolest sounds are just 2 played tones that can create a sub harmonic third tone.
    All chords must sound 'beautiful' for me, it is how you play them.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-06-22 at 12:32 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Doesn't sound 'atonal' to me. I think that term itself is an oxymoron.
    The first video is relaxing(I love trains) and sounds a bit like 12 tone music but more pleasing, not complex.
    The quarter tones or what ever intervals of the second video seem just like short accents between standard intervals not unlike my heavy use of bending strings.
    It is a shame very little of that music was actually performed, the guy just talked too much.
    Ummm...possibly going to look like a pun, but it probably can sound like an oxymoron to the ears, but it's more about compositional style...wiki does a good job of it ->

Yes, I found the first vid to be like that, full of anticipatory cues & syncopation, which invoke a different feel/thought to the listener...very enjoyable IMHO.

Indeed...2nd vid the guy waffles on too much (please, let the music do the talking =), but I more included that because I wasn't aware ppl were going to that extent with the fret-board....some serious dedication there =)

When we start talking about this discrimination wrt musical notes, I end up in a place where for instance, someone would ask me "Who's your favourite bass guitarist?"....and I'll presume they're referring to electric bass guitar but still need them to specify the actual instrument..ie; "Do you mean fretted or fretless bass guitar....and does that include the and guitars?"....and you get blank hairy eyeball looks, and accused of being a pedantic arsehole and right pita, even though the fact remains that my favourite player for these instruments, is different for each bass instrument I mentioned,..(and then without opening the door to the question, what is your favourite bass instrument =)....but one comes to realize at some point....like for myself when a friend remarked something like 'what an awesome bass guitarist!' when listening to some song, and you have to tell them 'Ah, no..that's a keyboard synth'...they can't hear the difference ; to them, all bass guitar is a fretted 4 string =)

I can probably imagine folks reading this, not knowing of the guitars I reference above..ergo...

Warr guitar...

Chapman Stick...

One of my favourite David Sylvian/Robert Fripp songs with Trey Gunn on Chapman Stick....where I can understand why ppl might mistakenly think that fluid, sexy, walking bass line is your normal (perhaps fretless) bass guitar....when it's actually Gunn on the 'stick...

Damn...there use to be a YT vid of that that was released as TV media etc, but now it's been pulled due to copyright....that sucks, seeing these guys actually perform this song gives faces to the musical tones...bastards.. =(

(thought you might, me as well, never got them here but class.55.deltic 8)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (22-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

EDIT: Sorry, I was refering to your post on the prev page about 'MicroTonal' Guitars!!!
    That was very interesting, wotnot !. I saw something like this many years ago, but had forgotten!
    Later on, in that 2nd Clip, I feel I'm certainly to old & set in my ways, to ever even dream of playing such a vastly complex fretted
    instrument!! although it's nice to hear someone who is accomplished, giving it a run for it's money!!! I then wondered about the
    Open-String Tuning!!, and found this...
    Though even that left me putting things in the "Too Hard Basket" hahaha...

I think I mentioned once before here, how 'Japanese' Music can/does utilize many Sub-Tonal notes, beyond the normal Western style...
    It must be hard to use our normal 'Maths' to account for such frequencies!, but it can sound nice though!...

I also own, (though left at my son's place in Adelaide!!), an Asian (Chinese) instrument called an "Erhu". You hear it often, in traditional
    movies/backing etc!! With it, you can also produce almost endless notes. It has only 2 strings, and there is no 'fret' board. The 'Bow'
    is permanently set 'between' the 2 strings, whereby it is either pressed against one string, or in the other direction against the other string.
    The sliding finger always touches both strings at once, without actually 'depressing' it, and the note depends on the Bow position!
    Anyway, here's an example of that instrument. One thing is for sure, It's not something I've accomplished yet, and the time I have left on
    this blue/green dot of a planet means that the future isn't likely to change regarding 'this' instrument!!!
    P.S. The 'skin' on the hexagonal body, is traditionally real Snake Skin!
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 22-06-22 at 11:27 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (22-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    When we start talking about this discrimination wrt musical notes, I end up in a place where for instance, someone would ask me "Who's your favourite bass guitarist?"....

I don't think I have ever said 'bass guitar' in my life!

Yet that is exactly how I first started out with playing in a band. We were 15-16y/o or something.
    My school mate needed a bass player but I only had a guitar. It was a cheap department store model but it came with unusually thick flat wound strings (kind of what jazz players would use and yes my Dad bought it).
    My school mate, blessed with a richer dad than me, had a Fender Twin reverb.
    So down went those strings a whole octave and LOW and behold through the basic input channel of the Twin(bass max - treble min) it DID resemble something like a bass, thus a 'bass guitar'.
    This was actually used in a performance that we had to do in a church(requirement so we could use the practice room) to accompany choir girls where obviously powerful bass tones were not on the agenda.

I seen double necks strung as bass and guitar individually, so they would also qualify.

These days I would have the funds for a Chapman Stick (10 string would do) but it would only be used for experiments and an addition to my guitar collection, which my wife strongly opposes.
    ...not that it would take up much space
    ...nah she would kill me: "Move out and live with your guitars" or something like that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-06-22 at 11:30 PM.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I don't think I have ever said 'bass guitar' in my life!

Yet that is exactly how I first started out with playing in a band. We were 15-16y/o or something.
    My school mate needed a bass player but I only had a guitar. It was a cheap department store model but it came with unusually thick flat wound strings (kind of what jazz players would use and yes my Dad bought it).
    My school mate, blessed with a richer dad than me, had a Fender Twin reverb.
    So down went those strings a whole octave and LOW and behold through the basic input channel of the Twin(bass max - treble min) it DID resemble something like a bass, thus a 'bass guitar'.
    This was actually used in a performance that we had to do in a church(requirement so we could use the practice room) to accompany choir girls where obviously powerful bass tones were not on the agenda.

I seen double necks strung as bass and guitar individually, so they would also qualify.

These days I would have the funds for a Chapman Stick (10 string would do) but it would only be used for experiments and an addition to my guitar collection, which my wife strongly opposes.
    ...not that it would take up much space
    ...nah she would kill me: "Move out and live with your guitars" or something like that.

LOL...well there you go, I guess we don't get to choose our friends who ask silly undefined questions =) The term is of course a common/widely used compound noun, which largely became apparent since the advert of electric bass guitar.

I actually recall our music master all those decades ago, wielding a yard stick in the air to conduct his own recitation, on the differences between a bassist, a bass guitarist, and a bass player...

...speaking of bass guitarists..

Uncle Fester (25-06-22)

Thanks

Ok, now I am really impressed ...and Rush?!
    Maybe not all is lost but these kids need to eventually come up with their own REAL music like that and find an audience that is under 50+.

wotnot (25-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, now I am really impressed ...and Rush?!
    Maybe not all is lost but these kids need to eventually come up with their own REAL music like that and find an audience that is under 50+.
    Yeah, first picked up the instrument when 8yo...18months later, playing like that ~ but then, we haven't really touched on music notes often being the playground where you'll find prodigious talent =)

Indeed, well said... it's one thing to be able to learn to play an instrument, and play someone else's song -- it's a different matter altogether to create one's own music that is in itself unique.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Colour me impressed, she is still good!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Wrt topic, music notes cannot speak the same language to those who cannot hear all the notes...see how you go (follow the links in the description for more detailed appraisals)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

I just had to post this here....

54 years ago, when tough guy Clint Eastwood was 36, he starred in the spaghetti western classic, "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly!" Some may remember the film and the story. Others may reflect on the theme song for that motion picture. (Composer Ennio Morricone passed away July 6, 2020 at the age of 92.) Eli Wallach passed away in 2014 at age 98 while Lee Van Cleef died in 1989 at 64.

For those who might enjoy seeing how that theme was performed, this is your lucky day. . It's definitely Hard to forget that opening sound track and it's been used in a number of TV commercials haunting and was created using the magic of an electronic keyboard. But who knew that a woman was responsible for the whaa wha wha and the whistling? Enjoy this 54-year-old relic from the past brought to you by a female conductor...

Last edited by Johnno; 20-07-22 at 10:29 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (20-07-22),mtv (27-07-22),Reschs (27-07-22),wotnot (20-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    I just had to post this here....
    That's a good one - a truly iconic set of music notes, and when one hears it you are bound to remember the movie, scenes of that movie....or some parody/spoof of the same thing....

....which got me to thinking ; have we done humour yet? I don't think so...music notes that engage the language of laughter....and the simplest music note I can think of in this respect, is how to slip on a banana =)

Johnno (21-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm on the AAS mailing list...this just lobbed in ;

LSemmens
    Thanks

It's still a poor imitation of a guitar. Like electric drum kits, they are great, but the purists can still tell the difference. Even keyboards can sound a lot like a real piano, but there are still differences that the purists can detect.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Johnno (29-07-22),Uncle Fester (28-07-22),wotnot (28-07-22)

Thanks

I have 'tried' heaps of guitar synths from the goaudio.me site. The best that I could come up with was a classic Spanish emulation, that sounded pretty good to me, dynamics/flageolets were captured with the keyboard's velocity pretty good but you simply can NOT play guitar on a keyboard. It ALWAYS sounds like a keyboard, period

Keyscape has the most amazing Piano emulations (which I don't own, only heard the demos). I am quite happy with the Aturia V collection which I do own and also does the Hammond C3 pretty well with the very important 'faults' . While Native Instruments makes a huge deal out of programming those but you can end up with a lot of useless sounds.

If you want to indulge yourself in famous arse kicking keyboard emulations that will even make purists excited(lets say I am a semi-purist at times) take your time and go on this journey with the best possible headphones or sound system you can make available:

This gives a lot of insight what is all involved in originality of capturing these instruments.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Johnno (29-07-22),lsemmens (28-07-22),wotnot (28-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    It's still a poor imitation of a guitar. Like electric drum kits, they are great, but the purists can still tell the difference. Even keyboards can sound a lot like a real piano, but there are still differences that the purists can detect.
    There's bound to be some purists out there that mandate you have to use a particular breed/sex of cat & horse, along with a specific formulation of rosin, for the bow & strings of one's violin for it to be able to achieve {ahem}... 'the sound'....lol =)

My bad tho', I should've dropped a link on it ~ ....as per what fester latched onto, looking for different ways to create a keyboard style musical HID... I think you have to flip coin....and then regardless of whether or not one would want to....we hear a keyboard/synth trying to sound like a guitar and getting as close as it does in the now -- how good is a guitar at sounding like a keyboard synth? =)

LSemmens
    Thanks

That, wotnot is my point, if an instrument tries to emulate another, it is still just an imitation of the real thing. Electric pianos are still just that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    -- how good is a guitar at sounding like a keyboard synth? =)
    Excellent and from the physical input abilities of operating a string instrument more versatile than just pressing down keys.

I am proud owner of this:

and this:

and for more self programming of sounds this:

...and this only a small selection

I am a sucker for Electro Harmonix and also have pedals that can create arps.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-07-22),wotnot (29-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Excellent and from the physical input abilities of operating a string instrument more versatile than just pressing down keys.

I am proud owner of this:
    Nice..... I was also thinking of MIDI/touch guitar as well ...

...then, suddenly, back to topic for a quickie...

Thanks

These apparently legit sounds from black holes nicely demonstrates the 'universality of sound' I mentioned on the first page of this thread:

Yes there can be sound in space just a bit too low for us humble humans to hear
    Upscaling it to our audible range does not change the tonality.

The second video sounds like typical presets on my synthesisers where I do an intro for a sound track.
    It is so shockingly similar I am disappointed really but the tonality definitely can be categorised as music, NOT noise.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-08-22 at 03:35 PM.

• Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast