Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Music Notes!! A pretty Global language!!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

How can you talk about final and the end when you just opened so many cans of worms again

Post #118:
    Simplicity is never dumb

Post #119:
    Probably the most fitting song(symbolic) to play on my funeral (although I always prefer to avoid funerals) would be AC/DC's "Jailbreak" (Live at Donington Version).

Post #120:
    Allow me to point a Laser into space and where ever it reaches, I shall be buried.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (11-06-22),wotnot (10-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    One where it is important not to lose your marbles ...sorry couldn't resist.

Damn this guy has been busy since I last saw that video
    LoL... he'd really appreciate that quip =) Did you watch any of the development vids when he was fine tuning the machine to stop it from dropping balls?...was a fascinating watch, seeing the real time physics of it all...

Been following his channel for years, the man has an outstanding selection of skills (a different set to that of Liam Neeson =)....and his creations have gone on to inspire others...

How can you talk about final and the end when you just opened so many cans of worms again
    I believe the OP is under the (mistaken) presumption that in creating a new thread, that entitles some ownership/control over that thread....which is of course not the case (I think this is spelled out in the forum rules anyhow?) -- the thread (and the posts/replies there to) become the property of the forum, and essentially all threads remain open ad_infinitum for existing/new forum members to post/reply to (within rules/topic guidelines), unless admin/mods decide otherwise for a multitude of reasons. Either that, or OP is announcing their retirement from the thread? I'm not totally sure...seems odd either way around...because..

You are right of course ~ this aural domain is a very big box full of many cans, each containing it's own type of worm 8)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

All I get is a link to an image once posted, for some stupid reason, Anyway all the image says

I've opened a can of worms
    They just sit there, the worms
    Hardly the chaos that's been advertised!
    Last edited by lsemmens; 10-06-22 at 06:00 PM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post

...but the can has been opened.

The worms you will most likely find in a can are mealworms(soft and moist):

While the worms may seem peaceful but one should not underestimate them, this is quite relaxing to watch/listen:

Worms don't have ears, yet we have (musical) Earworms.

...but they feel vibrations, maybe they are fond of bass players
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-06-22 at 12:30 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (11-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Wrong forum, mate!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    LoL... he'd really appreciate that quip =) Did you watch any of the development vids when he was fine tuning the machine to stop it from dropping balls?...was a fascinating watch, seeing the real time physics of it all...

Been following his channel for years, the man has an outstanding selection of skills (a different set to that of Liam Neeson =)....and his creations have gone on to inspire others...

I believe the OP is under the (mistaken) presumption that in creating a new thread, that entitles some ownership/control over that thread....which is of course not the case (I think this is spelled out in the forum rules anyhow?) -- the thread (and the posts/replies there to) become the property of the forum, and essentially all threads remain open ad_infinitum for existing/new forum members to post/reply to (within rules/topic guidelines), unless admin/mods decide otherwise for a multitude of reasons. Either that, or OP is announcing their retirement from the thread? I'm not totally sure...seems odd either way around...because..

You are right of course ~ this aural domain is a very big box full of many cans, each containing it's own type of worm 8)
    W.T.F ?????? wotnot ?????? (Regarding your last paragraph I put in Bold above...)
    Firstly, I seem to be getting lost amongst various 'comments' seemingly in this original Post/Thread, where the latest 'comments' differ for some reason?...
    Look 'mate', if YOU do not like me, then for #### sake just do not read things, or respond!!! What the HELL is your F*&^ing problem pal!????????
    I can't recall trying to respond to the likes of YOU at ALL recently?? And have directed my replies to such verbal GENTLEMEN as Uncle Fester & lsemmens of late???
    NOT that I mind ANY normal polite GENTLEMEN from responding?? Recently, I've poured out my Heart & Soul to those that I know have a HUMAN ear, but to YOU???...

I've never tried to offend anyone here, but just involve myself in the time I have left in a certain 'Camaraderie' with the 'HumanKind' that I am/was used to!!
    SOME people, like YOURSELF!, are the "Elvis Has Entered The Building" type people, who like to think they are better than everyone else, smarter than everyone else,
    and have some magical power that allows you to constantly 'belittle' people, as you sit in your F%^$ing imaginary Ivory Tower!!! However... obviously you are NOTHING!!
    I feel sorry for your 'wife?' & 'kids?' for the type of person that they obviously have to put up with. You are a KNOW-ALL BULLY!!!, hiding behind a F%^$ing KeyBoard...

Do 'I' need to explain to you how to 'Block' someone, and not reply any more????????... This is my last RANT here... as any future dialog while I have the ability to do so,
    will ONLY be with the Fore Mentioned like minded GENTLEMEN etc that I have come to know & appreciate... From this second on, you are a NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

The worms you will most likely find in a can are mealworms(soft and moist):

While the worms may seem peaceful but one should not underestimate them, this is quite relaxing to watch/listen:

Worms don't have ears, yet we have (musical) Earworms.

LoL... bass players...as in thumpers?.... to attract the giant worms of Arrakis?...

Soundtrack to Dune is a good listen as well....

Wrt Wintergatan type stuff, one bit of software once promised to be released into the wild as a MIDI visualization suite but has turned out to be either vaporware or illusionware...up to this date at least, is/was 'AniMusic'

Always looked to me as the sort of software I could have fun with....musically...and visually as a result of that...

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

All I get is a link to an image once posted, for some stupid reason, Anyway all the image says

Guess what I found....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (13-06-22),Uncle Fester (13-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I hadn't even thought of Arrakis. Very good analogy! I enjoyed the 1984 version of Dune and felt it remained close to the book. Not having read the book again recently, the New Dune looks to be close to the book as well. I hope, that they make the sequels this time and follow the series right through. Have yet to watch Children of Dune so cannot comment on that. Does it follow canon, or is it a side issue?

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (13-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I hadn't even thought of Arrakis. Very good analogy! I enjoyed the 1984 version of Dune and felt it remained close to the book. Not having read the book again recently, the New Dune looks to be close to the book as well. I hope, that they make the sequels this time and follow the series right through. Have yet to watch Children of Dune so cannot comment on that. Does it follow canon, or is it a side issue?
    “Behold, as a wild ass in the desert, go I forth to my work”....I've always liked that line =) We had a pretty cool English master (churchie school, we didn't have 'teachers'..they were all masters) ~ in grade 9 we studied Herbert's Dune, Asimov's I, Robot ..and third term was 2001: A Space Odyssey plus choose your own (sci-fi) novel, and I went with Dagmar's Spykos 4. As we now know, the first 2 novels went on to becomes movies (with 2001 book was written after the movie to help explain it)....and with the Dune screenplay, the one thing that always bugged me was the male narration, which comes across stilted and lacking the correct English annunciation & onomatopoeia ...it still bugs me to this day =) Like I say though, the soundtrack by Eno / Toto (remember them? 8) is really grandiose in that particular Brian Eno way. I really don't know about the 'new' Dune, but one would expect it to follow the original premise, if only for the fact you're going to piss off a lot of old time readers if you don't =)

Which makes me think of another example of music notes and global language ... perhaps the simplest example really -- the sound of a person's normal spoken voice ; it's hard to find 2 ppl who speak exactly alike (caveat some instances of twins). It possibly tends to be brought to our attention, when watching movies or teevee shows, when you hear an actor's voice and immediately recognize that person's voice, even though they're wearing heaps of stage makeup because they're playing the part of an alien in some scifi production, and are totally unrecognizable as human beings anymore....the sound of their voice gives them away every time.

There are other aspects of spoken voice too that one could go on forever about....Elizabeth Holmes sounds sexier with the baritone voice ...Tim Curry at his best in the role of Franknfurter in Rocky Horror Picture Show, and then years and years later come home to find daughter dear watching the ABC and some cartoon called 'The Wild Thornberrys'....and I started laughing when I realized the father in the cartoon (Nigel) was being voiced by Tim Curry...so you have to update your brain's voice-to-face recognition database accordingly...

Claudia Black's voice did this to me as well....having grown used to her voice in acting like Farscape and Stargate etc, I was trying to get Mass Effect 2 (computer game) running in wine, and as soon as I heard the voice of the character Matriarch Aethyta. I knew straight away C. Black was voicing it.

It's truly amazing the detail contained in the human voice print, and how much we rely on it in daily recognition ~ you have to wonder about huge flocks of birds roosting in colonies, and just how the blazes the parent birds 'find their way home' to either their partner or chicks ; the suggestion is they're doing it using sound...slightly difference frequency/timbre to the calls human ears usually don't discern.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (16-06-22)

Thanks

It's truly amazing the detail contained in the human voice print, and how much we rely on it in daily recognition ~ you have to wonder about huge flocks of birds roosting in colonies, and just how the blazes the parent birds 'find their way home' to either their partner or chicks ; the suggestion is they're doing it using sound...slightly difference frequency/timbre to the calls human ears usually don't discern.
    It is all about memory and resolution.
    All natural sounds would be unique but we obviously tune our minds to resolve the human voice best.
    An actor's voice is easily memorised together with the experience of seeing the movies/shows that leave a lasting impression.
    Captain Kirks voice might have led to my sudden capability of speech as my first memories of awareness coincide with the beginning of Startrek as well as the Daleks "exterminate....." something there must have rewired in my brain.
    However I can also identify all the dogs in the neighbourhood from their annoying barking, this time from negative experience.
    But wild birds of the same species sound all the same to me.

When I was in the 1980's visiting Australia regularly and I was travelling in trains when school was out, the voices of all the Australian school girls sounded to me 100% identical.
    The boys not so.
    In Germany this was opposite, the girl's voices sounded very unique to me.
    What does this say?

A quality luthier will no doubt identify every acoustic instrument they hand made.
    However while every electric guitar I have sounds different, that is only because I either heavily modified them or even built my own but they are not unique as they can be rebuilt using the same parts again.

When it comes to electronic instruments the uniqueness has limits, in such that it can be always reproduced although the adjustable settings seem limitless.
    It can be quite hard to find something truely unique. While you can modulate filters with random values, we all know that digital randomness(without human/analogue input) is not truely random so the result can never be unique while you mostly end up with a soggy biscuit (cacophony).
    Keep in mind we are talking about sound programming, not note progression.
    You can often easily identify most synthesisers once you know them and everybody knows immediately the sound of a Fender Twin, Marshal tower or AC30 or a Mesa Boogie(you know them even if you don't always know the names of these 'actors'), no matter what settings you make and no matter what guitar you plug in, they will always be identifiable, thus not unique.

It are more the natural analogue components that can end up making sound unique like the room acoustics where they the music is performed which can either mean an amazing sound(like that open air setting I mentioned earlier) or just terrible, no matter how you EQ.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-06-22 at 12:14 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (16-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

I truly thank ALL who have responded here, (even since my...Ahem... rant), as it is ALL relevant in one way or another Re: the purpose of my 1st Post. (OP).
    I would like to just clarify though, when I spoke of the 'Last I have to say', and the 'End'... was simply that 'I' didn't know what more to say!!... NOT that others
    should/could not continue with replies, as long as they like?! How the heck could/would 'I' decide that?? And also regarding my choice of word... 'End', was NOT
    referring to anyone else, but to the time that 'I' seem to have left!! I've said it before, how sometimes 'mere text' does not portray the true emotions that we feel.

I find myself, (now!), being more vocal than I ever was about such things, as what 'seemed' to be Private & not talked about, now looses a lot of that meaning and
    importance! We 'all' have different lives, and on the 'day' will have many memories of childhood dreams & accomplishments, and hopefully will 'go out' remembering
    what was important, and what gave us pleasure. So... Right now!, I find myself remembering the old music/songs that my Father liked, when my Mother died when I
    was only 10 Y/O. She used to play the 'Banjo-Mandolin' on the Radio in the early 1950's. I took over playing her instrument in about 1990 after I re-built it!!
    And hence, the 'Folk' scene that I became involved with years later. (Playing the Guitar/Mandolin too). I hoped she could look down on me, and be proud!!!!!!

I still believe in the "International Language" statement, due to the number of people I've played with over the years, where no 'word(s)' needed to be spoken!!!
    I'm going to add another 'piece' to my previous Compendium here!!! (As an education to those less acquainted!! I KNOW a lot of people here will remember watching
    the "Gomer Pile" TV show. His name was actually "Jim Nabors" Here's a picture of him for the memory, from the TV show. (He's on the LEFT!)...

Not many people realized that apart from his 'silly' voice on the TV show, that he was a very talented Tenor Singer, who had put out MANY albums!!!
    Here's a clip of him singing "Silent Night" on YouTube, when he was in his 80's!!! (He has since passed away...)
    START WATCHING AT 50-SECS!!!

My memories & affection are 'now' just for the likes of this, & those who contributed to such peace & good will!!!
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 16-06-22 at 10:38 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yes, I remember Jim Nabors well, I can still hear his voice as Gomer Pyle, I, too, liked his singing. He was a very talented actor/singer.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (18-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

....now for the carpenters out there...

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (18-06-22),lsemmens (17-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yes, I remember Jim Nabors well, I can still hear his voice as Gomer Pyle, I, too, liked his singing. He was a very talented actor/singer.
    I remember my dad had a Jim Nabors LP ; during the 70's, I walked into the kitchen one day and the very same Jim Nabors album was broken into pieces, and the album jacket ripped up, all sitting in the kitchen garbage bin...this was just before my parents separated and things were very heated/ugly between them, and upon seeing this I asked mum curiously, half joking..."Did the Jim Nabor's record finally get to you?"...and she laughed, "No...your dad just found out he's gay!"....and we both started laughing ; if nothing else, my dad was 115% homo-phobic 8) Later, all those Johnny Cash albums of dad's met a similar fate, when news came out of that artist's drug habits/rehabilitation. Suffice it to say, my dad chose poorly when it came to acting/musical role models, relative to his straight as a die old school upbringing...you get that <grin>...

"I no understand why you no play with the human musicians" ~ Rachel Claudio. I guess not many aussies will be aware of her work ~ I first learned of her listening to a tripleJ interview back in the early 2000's, and some of the things she said at that time really hit a chord within me ~ in 2016 she did a presentation at TEDx in Perth, echoing the same sentiments I'd heard a decade before -- I have yet to hear anyone express the reasoning behind playing with machines (as opposed to playing with ppl) any better....one should watch the entire clip, to appreciate why she's sometimes referred to as the 'one girl band'... =)

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (18-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

....now for the carpenters out there...

Wow... Thanks for that!, I really liked it. I've heard similar, but not as well as she does!! The only problem was that
    upon playing it, (due to my brain level now, hahaha), I was waiting for a 'Carpenters' Song!, until I finally realized, Ohhh...
    'Saws', for 'Carpenters'!! (Smacking myself in the head!!)

Re: Your following post about "Jim Nabors", yea, he was Gay, but was a nice man. It's amazing how many people of old are
    or were, and no-one knew! Like the old ladies heart-throb "Rock Hudson". Or one of the 'Darens' from "Bewitched". Not to
    mention Agnes Moorhead from Bewitched (Samantha's Mother) was a lesbian. And the Father in "The Brady Bunch" !! As well as
    K. D. Lang (well known lesbian), who I'm mentioning in a second, but for a different reason!! Today we seem to have a
    different attitude/acceptance, and it certainly doesn't change who they are, "under the hood" hahaha...

On to your YouTube clip with "Rachel Claudio", that was great also!! Near the beginning of it, starting at 2:30 she made reference
    to the ubiquitous 'D-Minor' and how beautiful/emotional it can sound!. That's true!, but it reminded me of "K. D. Lang" singing the
    famous song 'Hallelujah', ( ), where the first verse goes...
    Now I've heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord
    But you don't really care for music, do you?
    It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
    The minor falls, the major lifts
    The baffled king composing Hallelujah......
    Well I don't think I've ever found that 'Secret' Chord, but sometimes I get close! at least in 'my' ears!! hahahha...
    Last edited by Ah-Those-Old-Days!; 19-06-22 at 01:13 AM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

If you ever found that "secret" chord, it would no longer be a secret, now, would it? I've never found it either.

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (20-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

If you ever found that "secret" chord, it would no longer be a secret, now, would it? I've never found it either.
    Maybe we just don't 'Know' when/if we 'hear' it...but simply remember some spark in the brain while listening, but just don't connect the dots!!
    EVIDENTLY, (or so I am 'told')... one of the most beautiful Chords on a Guitar is a true 'E' Chord?? Without getting too mathematically 'Technical',
    it seems to have as much to do with the string 'Harmonics' that can get produced with the likes of a 'Guitar' as opposed to a Piano etc...
    Harmonics & 5ths etc, are in a World of their own, even when just 'Touching' certain Strings!, as I'm sure you have found, deliberate or otherwise!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

This domain of human endeavour is subjective enough to suggest, the existence of any 'secret chord' may/will be very relative to the listener.

For example, 'atonal' or 'microtonal' music notes ~ improvised jazz is a fertile ground for this.

I found a couple of interesting YT vids so related....

..and if you want to go the full monty with guitar here...

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22),Uncle Fester (21-06-22)

• Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast