Thread: 15 amp hoist

Thanks

Default 15 amp hoist

Hi All

as part of some work that is being done at my house there is a car hoist being installed.

I have been in touch with the car hoist mob and they have indicated that they want the shed wired up first. unfortunately in order to do this the bank needs to release the funds however to release the funds they have indicated they need to perform an inspection the property and sight the hoist along with the other components on the renovation to be present.

I have asked the hoist company if they will please do their calibration with power supplied using a 15 amp power extension lead connected to a 15 amp outlet on the side of the house and they have indicated that the resistance of the lead will cause start up capacitors to fail.

This sounds like bs to me. if a cable is rated to 15 amps that is its rating.

Can anyone confirm?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Depends on brand/model of hoist. the starting/working current requirement, type of motor/control used and length of wire run ~ it's not necessarily BS ...ie; many single phase hoists are rated around the 2.2kw -working- power, but initially at startup they can consume 3kw+....which is why they stipulate a 20amp supply circuit...(and this gets trickier if it's an inverter controlled motor...like our bore pump)

Thanks

Single phase motors use capacitors to change the phase angle of the current during the moment of starting, hence creating the magnetic field which gets the motor moving.

If they are not happy with a standard 15A lead (which is 1.5mm2) and high starting currents can cause a significant voltage drop. I would ask the hoist company if a 4mm2 lead would be suffice (this is good for 30A) and head off to Middy's or another Electrical Wholesalers and purchase the right length and get them to wire it in or create a super lead for your purposes.

Caps typically won't fail - and are rated to handle large variances in voltages, but it can put the winding during the starting under duress momentarily.

goodluck

f
    Last edited by freakee1; 10-05-22 at 02:41 PM.
    有段者

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Sounds like BS to me ,
    a sparkie will not install a fixed line to a hoist until the hoist is installed. Hence why hoist installers set up and commission the unit on fly leads off an extension cord

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Sounds like BS to me ,
    a sparkie will not install a fixed line to a hoist until the hoist is installed. Hence why hoist installers set up and commission the unit on fly leads off an extension cord
    Yea I have had 2 hoists installed in the past 5 years and know of 3 others and the installers had no problems commissioning them with a fly lead and extension cord

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Depends on brand/model of hoist. the starting/working current requirement, type of motor/control used and length of wire run ~ it's not necessarily BS ...ie; many single phase hoists are rated around the 2.2kw -working- power, but initially at startup they can consume 3kw+....which is why they stipulate a 20amp supply circuit...(and this gets trickier if it's an inverter controlled motor...like our bore pump)
    I am on the B.S. side too, unless you intend to use a 30m extension or more.

240V x 15A = 3.6kW, that should be sufficient to start up a 2.2kW motor.

If a 1.5mm^2, 10m extension is used then you would have a voltage drop of about 3.5V at 15A.

The Australian Standard mains voltage limits are from 216V to 253V, so your hoist must be able to perform in that voltage range.

Assuming you measure at the time of the test a typical 235V unloaded, then a momentary voltage drop of 3.5V is well within those limits. Even 20A with 4.7V drop not a problem.
    I would place the limit at 20m and 20A, which is about 9,5V voltage drop.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-06-22),Keith (11-06-22),Softek2 (03-06-22)

Thanks

an update on this, upon further discussions with the hoist company. I explained there will be no power at the shed at the time of installation. they then said they could postpone the installation and just deliver it to me, would cost me a further $400 i then said no that's fine i will just hold off delivery / installation until the electrical work is completed, potentially in the new year. and they will have to hold on to the hoist (paid for in full) until that time. they seemed more willing to use an extension lead now. however as a compromise i will use a 20, amp lead and connect it to the 20 amp point.

seems the prospect of having my hoist sitting on their shop floor unable to be sold or moved for 6 months was enough to change the tune.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    however as a compromise i will use a 20, amp lead and connect it to the 20 amp point.
    You should use your 20 amp lead connected to 15amp point as the compromise.
    That voltage drop they concern about will not be that high and you will be able to see if the hoist doesn't consume more than specified 15 amp in which case protection will trip.