Thread: Putting a LED on a diet?

Thanks

Default Putting a LED on a diet?

I'm replacing a LED bar graph display that uses standard / discrete rectangular LEDs, but the side profile of the original LEDs are 1mm thick, not the standard 2mm size. Have looked extensively online and not found any rectangular LEDs of 1mm profile thickness.

What I'll need to do is to file, grind down or chamfer the ten replacement LEDs like this so they'll fit the fascia cutouts for each LED:

Any idea on how this can be done fairly neatly, consistently and most importantly keeping nice straight lines as seen from the front? Thinking that some sort of jig will be required to achieve this neat appearance, but can't think of how to make such a jig...?

Any ideas?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

1mm x 5mm? NTE Electronics...NTE3160(red) NTE3161(green)

When refurbing LED bar graphs, best to replace them all to get consistent brightness/colour across the array

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

mitaux8030 (16-05-22),VroomVroom (20-05-22)

Thanks

Well, there they are! Thought they were factory modified standard 2x5mm LEDs. Only problem is... I'd like them in blue. So slimming down a LED is still the direction I want to go...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

In that case, cut to shape with exacto knife, or else use a file.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I often grind down LEDs with a bench grinder, along the side of the stone. Hold them with big pliers so you can see that you are keeping it perpendicular. No jig, just practice.
    LEDs are cheap so just ditch the first failures but after 4 or 5 you will get the knack and they will keep getting better.

I actually hold them with my fingers so I feel by the grinding resistance if I get it right but that just me. I would not recommend doing that unless you have decades of experience with bench grinders
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-05-22 at 08:10 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I agree UF. To improve consistency, mitaux could improvise a simple mitre rig using a piece of thin wood against a table surface. Drill two very small holes in the wood so the leads can fit through and the LED's base is sitting firmly on the wood. Then clamp the LED leads with something like a HD clip holder to hold the LED against the wood. Tape down a dremel onto a table with a sander bit, and angle the wood when grinding on the sander bit. A newbie should be able to get very consistent angles.

Thanks

After a few test LEDs - well five or six actually - I've got my 'eye in' on grinding some LEDs down by hand (no jig) pretty consistently now. Going very slowly is the key, and stopping frequently to check with a caliper to see if I'm going off square. It's working really well and pleased with the result so far. Thanks for the encouragement & tips gentlemen.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mitaux8030 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (10-06-22)