The bloke who used to be my (remote) IT Support left me with some weird problems after I let him go.
I'm not a fan of The Cloud because (a) I don't need it and (b) it uses a frightening amount of power. But he, having supplied me with a new laptop, decided off his own bat to "back up" (as he told me later) my data to it simply because my Microsoft account provides me with uncountable free space therein. I had neither asked nor wanted him to do this.
It transpired that while he was doing this I was thrown off-line. On two successive days, because after I'd shut down on the first and opened up again on the second I was back on-line. Until he started "backing up" again. When I said I found the coincidence of being thrown off the Internet on both occasions of his "back-ups" very strange he was astonishingly rude, told me to call my provider and broke the connection.
So I tried pausing the backup and, scarcely surprisingly I thought, was back on-line !
So not only was I having my small and unimpressive to the world amount of data backed up to The Cloud when I didn't want it there, but the process was problematic and taking forever. I stopped the upload and so was able to remain online.
But I was a total dickhead and tried to get my data back from The Cloud.
Turns out that rather than its having been backed up there, it had become entrenched forever and my original data files were now the backup ! - because I think I've lost my data forever.
The really weird thing is that SOME of my photos are still accessible .. I've really no idea what I've done - other than that it was stupid beyond description.
So. With apologies for the length of this: can anyone offer me anything constructive about my situation ? Is what's gone, gone forever ?