Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Election Result - will we have actually have a winner?

Thanks

and with the nbn they are also in the process of
    doing fiber to the home upgrades for free.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I am sitting literally 50cm away from my personal piece of Labor fibre that has served me well all the years.
    All those right wing media links that rubbished the Labor deal ARE RUBBISH! A politician's opinion is of no value either.
    I spoke to the actual installers, technicians and an engineer and while there were initially a lot of hiccups, mainly of logistic art, problems with the pits and Telstra, etc the whole process was being streamlined and they were definitely on the way for mass production/installation at lower per unit cost until Turnbull wrecked havoc because the Liberals can never accept a Labor solution.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 23-05-22 at 08:46 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

drummerboy (23-05-22)

Thanks

That clusterf*ck pales into insignificance when compared to the MTM and the lies that were told by Turnbull and co.

If you do not know that then all you are doing is having a vendetta against the Labor party.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

IMHO, clean out the sh1t and put in place a pack of incompetents, job done
    p.s NBN now up to $71 Billion, uhm weren't they going to do it for $21 Billion
    Last edited by allover; 23-05-22 at 08:37 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Dutton to be confirmed opposition leader

He can still wreck havoc from the back seat with any attempts to better foreign relations with 'sensitive' countries.

Shame about Josh, he would have been an excellent opposition leader and maybe even become a risk for Labor in 3 years from now.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

As of now, the ALP remain on 74 seats, with the LNP increasing slightly to 57 seats. Only 1 seat remains unattributed, indicating it is unlikely the ALP will reach 76 without support from the cross bench.

Without a guarantee of supply in the lower house a Government cannot be formed - yet in this instance we have individuals from the ALP sworn in as Ministers, and we have them travelling overseas on behalf of Australia.

Can anyone explain how this occurs? In my mind the pre-election Government should remain in place in ‘caretaker’ mode until a new Government is formed. I understand the LNP conceded the election - and on the numbers they cannot win - but by the same token the ALP don’t currently have enough members to form a Government, so how can these people be sworn in as Ministers of the Government?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    As of now, the ALP remain on 74 seats, with the LNP increasing slightly to 57 seats. Only 1 seat remains unattributed, indicating it is unlikely the ALP will reach 76 without support from the cross bench.

Without a guarantee of supply in the lower house a Government cannot be formed - yet in this instance we have individuals from the ALP sworn in as Ministers, and we have them travelling overseas on behalf of Australia.

Can anyone explain how this occurs? In my mind the pre-election Government should remain in place in ‘caretaker’ mode until a new Government is formed. I understand the LNP conceded the election - and on the numbers they cannot win - but by the same token the ALP don’t currently have enough members to form a Government, so how can these people be sworn in as Ministers of the Government?
    The deals with so called "independants" have probably been made already. I have no problem with this really. They are politicians after all, and by default untrustworthy, so whatever deals have to be done will be done. The ALP and Coalition even do deals with each other when it suits them.

Governments should be allowed to govern in my view.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    The deals with so called "independants" have probably been made already. I have no problem with this really. They are politicians after all, and by default untrustworthy, so whatever deals have to be done will be done. The ALP and Coalition even do deals with each other when it suits them.

Governments should be allowed to govern in my view.
    Agree completely re a Government needing to govern, but as of today, there has been no guarantee of supply from an independent or minor party that has been made public - how do we know there is supply, and therefore, a Government?

Previous elections have seen the required number of seats obtained by the incoming Government, the only recent exception being the Gillard Government (~2010) where supply was formally guaranteed before they formed Government.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (26-05-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Just don't tell the GG or the Queen might get saved, but he wont.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (26-05-22)

Thanks

Can anyone explain how this occurs? In my mind the pre-election Government should remain in place in ‘caretaker’ mode until a new Government is formed.
    Luckily not. In my mind the 'bulldozer' in the Quad meeting may have achieved a less favourable outcome than the new mob who are more open to foreign affairs.
    It is called a minority government and the new Prime minister can be sworn in.

I highly respect this quick transition in our system, unlike in the USA where the last pre-election Government could create a lot of damage in the months that followed until the new president was sworn in.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,906 Posts

Well, I’m seeing ALP with 75 Seats and Macnamara likely, doesn’t that make the required 76 seats?
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    It is called a minority government and the new Prime minister can be sworn in.
    That’s only partially correct - following an election, a minority Government is only formed where support/supply is guaranteed by the cross bench. This support has not yet been confirmed, so I’m not understanding how a Government can be formed.

A Government of less than 76 seats cannot be formed simply because they have more numbers than the others. Yet in this instance that is what has occurred.

Once the Government is formed, numbers and support can change, and a minority Government can remain in power, but to pass any bills (ie to function) a majority (or support from the bench) is needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Well, I’m seeing ALP with 75 Seats and Macnamara likely, doesn’t that make the required 76 seats?
    Indeed, since my post this morning the numbers have changed, with the ALP now at 75, LNP remaining on 57 and unattributed rising to 2 (looks like the Greens may have lost a seat there to the ALP and some other minors have lost out too).

On those numbers the ALP could still get a majority on their own, but as of this moment that is not the case.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Its been 75 Seats on AEC Tally Room page since Saturday Night
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Its been 75 Seats on AEC Tally Room page since Saturday Night
    Not what I’ve seen mate

My initial post (on Sunday) had the AEC Tally Room page with the ALP at 74 (as per my OP).

When I posted yesterday morning (around 7am) the ALP were still on 74, LNP on 57 and only 1 seat listed as unattributed.

When I rechecked after your post yesterday afternoon the ALP were back to 75, LNP 57 and unattributed up to 2.

As of the latest public update (8:21pm last night) the ALP remain on 75, LNP gone up to 58 and unattributed remains at 2.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I thought it was 75 for the ALP from Sat night (midnight). Regardless, I'll give Albo his dues, he has hit the ground running and might actually pull off a good government if he keeps going like this. I didn't like his election campaign, and did/would not have voted for him, but, so far, he may have another convert.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (27-05-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Indeed, since my post this morning the numbers have changed, with the ALP now at 75, LNP remaining on 57 and unattributed rising to 2 (looks like the Greens may have lost a seat there to the ALP and some other minors have lost out too).

On those numbers the ALP could still get a majority on their own, but as of this moment that is not the case.
    Its not worth arguing about.
    Right now it’s ALP with 75
    2 seats undecided, Brisbane which will be Greens and Macnamara which will be ALP that will be 76 seats, a majority, whether the ALP has a majority right now is quite moot, it will have in its own right when the polls are declared.
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Its not worth arguing about.
    Right now it’s ALP with 75
    ALP is down again to 74 leading seats as of 8:09pm today (Friday) according to the AEC Tally Room site.

I’m certainly not intent on arguing, but I am genuinely interested in how the current Government has been formed without a majority (or guarantee of supply from the bench). It hasn’t happened in the past, and I can’t find any information to indicate how it is possible.

Thanks

It is not about a government being formed but a Prime Minister called and ministers nominated(which happens within the leading party).
    Of course they can't pass legislations yet that would require minimum 76 votes in that house, so still a care taker role.

It seems to me that you have a pickle that ScoMo is still not PM until Labor has 76 seats but Morrison has conceded, so why is that such a problem for you and in what way would it be beneficial for Australia if he was still hanging on the the leadership ?

Right now, sorry to be a bit direct, but Labor is saving our arses in foreign relations and the Pacific, literally in the last minute before China takes over. The Climate Change argument has weight in those islands.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-05-22 at 12:23 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (28-05-22)

Thanks

Default Federal Election Result - will we have actually have a winner?

It is not about a government being formed but a Prime Minister called and ministers nominated(which happens within the leading party).
    Of course they can't pass legislations yet that would require minimum 76 votes in that house, so still a care taker role.
    Caretaker mode is undertaken by the incumbent Government until a majority is reached. When the party with the majority is clear, they become the caretaker Government until they are sworn in. While the conventions are clearly defined, they are not mandatory by law, so i could see how there could be movement there with regards to the numbers and non-majorities.

However, a PM can only be commissioned by the GG to form a Government if the party (or group of parties) have a majority - and again we are back at this point, being that at this time (and when the Ministers were sworn in) there is (and was) no majority, ergo no Government, and no ability to appoint a PM.

It seems to me that you have a pickle that ScoMo is still not PM until Labor has 76 seats but Morrison has conceded, so why is that such a problem for you and in what way would it be beneficial for Australia if he was still hanging on the the leadership ?
    Not sure why you think I have that view, but it’s not correct. Morrison clearly lost the election, he is gone, he rightly conceded, and there is no path for him to be PM.

However that doesn’t mean Albanese (or anybody else in a non-Government) can be appointed as PM as of this point in time.

It is clear the ALP will eventually form a Government, by either a majority or minority with support. But here we are, a week after the election, and we don’t have a party (or group if parties) with the required numbers to form a Government.

This has never happened previously in Australia. In every election there has been a clear majority winner, or (as happened with Gillard in 2010) agreements with the bench are made to provide support to a minority Government.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast