Thread: Color Cop problem

Thanks

Question Color Cop problem

On my new Dell Inspiron 15 3511 my long, long used coloring app, Color Cop, doesn't work.
    Looking online I find that this problem - which is that the color picker can't be placed correctly - has occurred several times in the past, often on Macs.
    I never had a problem with it until Windows &^%#$&%$ 11.
    Is there anyone in AusTechLand who knows Color Cop and can advise me, please ?

M-R
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

No Idea what color cop is, you could try GIMP, but that might be OTT for your needs.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

It's a colour picker, hasn't been updated since 2012, lots of alternatives out there --

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

M-R (26-05-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    No Idea what color cop is, you could try GIMP, but that might be OTT for your needs.
    Yeah, it is, Leigh. Just wanting to be able to, say, match a border colour to something within the frame.
    But thanks for the suggestion anyway, mate !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    It's a colour picker, hasn't been updated since 2012, lots of alternatives out there --
    I see. No wonder it isn't sitting happily in Win11 ! - many thanks for the info, wotnot !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    I see. No wonder it isn't sitting happily in Win11 ! - many thanks for the info, wotnot !!
    No worries... just to be complete, I have heard/know of a number of folks, who run winXP in a virtual machine on win10/11, just to be able to continue using (perfectly good) older win32 software, that won't run in later windows incarnations. I can understand this, when one is extremely familiar with a piece of software, and don't see the point in having the learn how to use another program that does the same thing...but in a slightly different way...

...me, running [debian] linux... will go..."Hmm, I wonder if.." , go to the colorcop website, see standalone binary downloads and grab it, and then do...

...cool, runs on linux with wine, no tweaks required(*)...that facility's builtin to GIMP as lsemmens points out.....umm...'stock' linux replacement would be gpick ....

...it's a bit more colorcop on steroids..but...same deal...just open source...

(*) you'd have to enable 'emulate a virtual desktop' in wineconfig, and install whatever else you're using in the same $wineprefix ...but it should work
    Last edited by wotnot; 26-05-22 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

No worries... just to be complete, I have heard/know of a number of folks, who run winXP in a virtual machine on win10/11, just to be able to continue using (perfectly good) older win32 software, that won't run in later windows incarnations. I can understand this, when one is extremely familiar with a piece of software, and don't see the point in having the learn how to use another program that does the same thing...but in a slightly different way...

...me, running [debian] linux... will go..."Hmm, I wonder if.." , go to the colorcop website, see standalone binary downloads and grab it, and then do...

...cool, runs on linux with wine, no tweaks required(*)...that facility's builtin to GIMP as lsemmens points out.....umm...'stock' linux replacement would be gpick ....

...it's a bit more colorcop on steroids..but...same deal...just open source...

(*) you'd have to enable 'emulate a virtual desktop' in wineconfig, and install whatever else you're using in the same $wineprefix ...but it should work
    Am I being encouraged to go Linux, once again ? [grin]
    I honestly think I'm too old ..

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    Am I being encouraged to go Linux, once again ? [grin]
    I honestly think I'm too old ..
    If you lived close to me and were willing to pay in cake, coffee & chat for support/tuition, I'd proffer linux for most folks because you don't end up in the sort of software compatibility limbo programs like colorcop have found themselves in. However, without that 'hands on' support, I seldom advise folks to install linux just because it's 'better'. To make a point of that, living in the rural community I do, I have helped nearly ten locals migrate from windows to linux, most of them middle-aged/older men & women, and now they're pretty much self-sufficient OS wise, with the only time I ever hear from them is due to hardware failure or setup some new printer they bought.

This was actually why my first reply pointed you towards windows alternatives, not an OS/computing ecosystem change ; the learning curve is too steep -- I would not subject my 88yo mum to such a thing..come to think of it, suggesting something like that to a 60something year old like myself who's only used windows all their life, can be a horrorshow image.. 8)

Although the GIMP is arguably one of the best image editors out there (and also available for windows), even to me it's workflows are something unto themselves to get a grip with...IMHO anyhow.

Just thinking about your original complaint wrt colorcop....that seems suspiciously akin to the problems caused by 'desktop compositors'...you know, the animated effects/fades when you open/close a window on your desktop, that sort of stuff....maybe in preferences somewhere you can turn that eye-candy off and see if colorcop is any happier?

Thanks

If you lived close to me and were willing to pay in cake, coffee & chat for support/tuition, I'd proffer linux for most folks because you don't end up in the sort of software compatibility limbo programs like colorcop have found themselves in. However, without that 'hands on' support, I seldom advise folks to install linux just because it's 'better'. To make a point of that, living in the rural community I do, I have helped nearly ten locals migrate from windows to linux, most of them middle-aged/older men & women, and now they're pretty much self-sufficient OS wise, with the only time I ever hear from them is due to hardware failure or setup some new printer they bought.

This was actually why my first reply pointed you towards windows alternatives, not an OS/computing ecosystem change ; the learning curve is too steep -- I would not subject my 88yo mum to such a thing..come to think of it, suggesting something like that to a 60something year old like myself who's only used windows all their life, can be a horrorshow image.. 8)

Although the GIMP is arguably one of the best image editors out there (and also available for windows), even to me it's workflows are something unto themselves to get a grip with...IMHO anyhow.

Just thinking about your original complaint wrt colorcop....that seems suspiciously akin to the problems caused by 'desktop compositors'...you know, the animated effects/fades when you open/close a window on your desktop, that sort of stuff....maybe in preferences somewhere you can turn that eye-candy off and see if colorcop is any happier?
    I don't see anything like that fade thingy that was part of the desktop settings in Win7 (how I should love to be able to have that back !): Win11 is like today's cars - automated to where I can do almost nothing in the areas I'd choose to change.
    I SO need a Windows support person ! Someone has to come on board and fix all this shit the (_¤_) who used to be my remote support left behind - all to do with OneDrive. He's put all my data areas under OneDrive and I haven't the least idea how to get out from under. And that's scarcely mentioning that because of this I deleted ALL my data files' contents ..
    Linux does sound tempting: but I can only learn when someone is here to teach me - like, SHOW me, you know ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

I was just poking around and on some site I found this....maybe it'll help.

I found a fix! I experimented with the Compatibility settings in the Properties context (right menu button) menu for the Color Cop icon.

What worked is Compatibility > Change high DPI settings button > Override high DPI scaling behavior Scaling performed by: Application checkbox.

If you don't want to fix your program, at least add this information to a special message that Color Cop displays the first time it is run. Otherwise, your program doesn't work![
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

M-R (28-05-22)

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I was just poking around and on some site I found this....maybe it'll help.
    Super moderator indeed, enf !! - ta ever so !! MWAH !!

IT WORKED !!!!!

Thanks to every god invented, to enf and to the original posting person !!!
    Last edited by M-R; 28-05-22 at 10:26 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to M-R For This Useful Post:

enf (29-05-22)