Thread: TV Media Player for Watching Local Files Offline

Thanks

Default TV Media Player for Watching Local Files Offline

Hi there!

I'm looking for a device with a basic remote control that I can plug into any TV and view files offline.

I'll be travelling around Australia soon for work to exhibit our company at various events. We have a number of company videos/images that we like to have displayed on a loop on a TV. In the past we have used a USB drive plugged directly into the TV, but over time we have accumulated more reference videos and we need to be able to quickly exit the loop and choose a selected videos/image file on demand, and then re-enter the loop when we're done. I know this can technically be done with the USB drive plugged directly into the TV, but AV companies supply different TVs in different locations and some systems can be quite clunky. I'm thinking a user interface that looks similar to an Apple TV or Google TV, but that is just for our offline files (wifi is notoriously unreliable at these exhibitions, so everything needs to be done offline). We want to use the same device regardless of the TV so my colleagues can just use one device they're comfortable with, rather than having to learn the new 'way to do it' at every event. Ideally we don't want to have an unlocked laptop sitting there connected to the TV all day.

I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, sorry, but if someone can point me in the right direction of a device or system setup that will work, I would be realllyy grateful!

Thank you

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,524 Posts

Dang...great topic =) I think firstly you have to logically define 'different TVs' from the get go....I think nowadays, that means anything with a HDMI in port?

I think the device you're sort of looking for, would be a 'commercial interface set top box'...a LG or such and similar ..there'd be some device out there like this to fit your specific needs.

I probably wonder if there's an android app out there that lets you do the same thing on domestic grade android based media player/stb devices.... google 'android video presentation apps'

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Would something like a Chromecast device fill your needs? I have little to no real experience in this area but it might mean that you can use a computer locked safely in a cupboard for security.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I would just use an android tv box with Kodi HDMI or Chromecast

It would be easy to setup a video running in a loop, then at a press of the remote a menu with videos would appear and you can select any individual one to play and or select one to play and automatically play all the videos one after another.

Thia can also run a screen saver using Jpgs etc.

Android tv box around $150, 256 Gb USB drive $30 or small USB HDD
    Last edited by RedXT; 28-05-22 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone!

wotnot, yes, I assume all the TVs would have an HDMI port

RedXT, I like the idea of using Kodi on a TV box - do you know of a good quality TV box sold in Australia? I have no idea which to purchase.

Isemmens, thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think a chromecast would work, since I assume the device would need to have the option to plug in a USB/hard drive/memory card in order to access the files. We don't want to cast from a laptop if we can avoid it.

I'll have a play around with Kodi on my actual Android TV and see if I can figure it out! Any tips on good skins or how to embed a thumbnail with my videos would also be gratefully received!

Thanks again!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

I would use a telstra TV with the standard media player. They have usb, hdmi out and an excellent remote.

I think Vodafone etc do one as well.

No need to over complicate things with kodi....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJ_Melbourne View Post
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone!

wotnot, yes, I assume all the TVs would have an HDMI port

RedXT, I like the idea of using Kodi on a TV box - do you know of a good quality TV box sold in Australia? I have no idea which to purchase.

Isemmens, thanks for the suggestions, but I don't think a chromecast would work, since I assume the device would need to have the option to plug in a USB/hard drive/memory card in order to access the files. We don't want to cast from a laptop if we can avoid it.

I'll have a play around with Kodi on my actual Android TV and see if I can figure it out! Any tips on good skins or how to embed a thumbnail with my videos would also be gratefully received!

Thanks again!
    I have been running a couple of Xiaomi Mi Tv Box S 4K UHD Android Streaming Media Player WIFI 2GB 8GB, they have wireless but no Ethernet plug, for a couple of years and they have been fine

In Kodi I use Aeon Nox Silvo. you can easily add videos to Favoutites, or setup a playlist or >nfo files.

In Main Menu select Add Video. /Files and browse to youre videos select video hold down select button ans select add to favourites in popup menu

In Favourites hold down the select button until a popup menu appears then u can Delete from favourites, Rename and add thumbnail , i usually add jpeg to where video file is
    Last edited by RedXT; 02-06-22 at 02:55 PM.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

even a plex server locally will play files when the internet is down
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!