Thread: Fuel quality between brands... truth or urban myth?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks

Default Fuel quality between brands... truth or urban myth?

Some say that brand XYZ fuel is better quality than others, and that they'd only ever go to that brand outlet for fuel.
    Since there's only two petroleum fuel plants in this country, and we import large amounts from overseas, I'm thinking that fuel quality at the wholesale level is probably a little variable and evenly distributed between different brand outlets?
    Fuel quality is probably more a function of individual stores... how well they maintain their tanks from water ingress & sediment etc.
    What's the 'good oil' on this matter?

2. Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,510 Posts

Worth a read -->

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (02-06-22),gulliver (23-01-23),lsemmens (31-05-22),mitaux8030 (01-06-22),Tiny (01-06-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Worth a read -->
    The narrative is made invalid by who he works for.

It can be seen as solely there to promote their products.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitaux8030 View Post
    Some say that brand XYZ fuel is better quality than others, and that they'd only ever go to that brand outlet for fuel.
    Since there's only two petroleum fuel plants in this country, and we import large amounts from overseas, I'm thinking that fuel quality at the wholesale level is probably a little variable and evenly distributed between different brand outlets?
    Fuel quality is probably more a function of individual stores... how well they maintain their tanks from water ingress & sediment etc.
    What's the 'good oil' on this matter?
    Yes, all the different servos and their parent companies by the same base fuels from either one of the two plants etc.
    What makes them different is their proprietary additive packs that are added before distribution to the retail outlets. BP is different to Shell which is different to Ampol etc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vbhero For This Useful Post:

gulliver (23-01-23)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Have a look at the material safety data sheets from each of the fuel companies, in particular the "Composition and ingredient information".

Some fuels have a laundry list of additives as long as your arm, but the best I've found is , it's ≥99% Gasoline, a tiny amount of Toluene and bugger all else.

And don't even get me started on ethanol, I hate the stuff! Anything that doesn't get much use (like our ride-on mower through the winter) ends up with a layer of jelly-looking crap on the bottom of the tank, through all the fuel lines and in the carby! 🤬🤬🤬
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 25-01-23 at 09:53 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

Keith (31-01-23)

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Detonation is described by some as men with little hammers in your engine. My daily drive was an engine running 13 PSI of boost so that was something I want to avoid. I am currently running an engine with hybrid ceramic cylinder bores, so i won't risk low octane fuel. I've been using Costco's 98 with no issues. Most high performance engines have knock sensors which might cause an engine light but will retard the engine timing to protect the engine, but at the expense of performance. I've never had a problem with Costco fuel and can't see the point in using overpriced Shell premium.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    Detonation is described by some as men with little hammers in your engine. My daily drive was an engine running 13 PSI of boost so that was something I want to avoid. I am currently running an engine with hybrid ceramic cylinder bores, so i won't risk low octane fuel. I've been using Costco's 98 with no issues. Most high performance engines have knock sensors which might cause an engine light but will retard the engine timing to protect the engine, but at the expense of performance. I've never had a problem with Costco fuel and can't see the point in using overpriced Shell premium.
    +1 Costco.....

I use Costco whenever I can. It's too inconvenient sometimes. Redline VFII.

Before I retired years ago, I worked with a pretty good rally driver. These guys were across ALL the fuel and he would tell me it changes regularly depending on the additives and boosters. The rally club would issue a monthly recommendation...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.