Thread: iQ4 - Tuners, signal strength and missing Foxtel channels

Thanks

Default iQ4 - Tuners, signal strength and missing Foxtel channels

Hi,
    A question about the Foxtel iQ4 tuners.
    I have been having a few problems over a while now. Several Fox channels were showing the "NO signal etc." message, usually early am (around 5 or 6) when I wanted to watch the live golf. If I tried later - around 9 or 10 they worked okay.
    I didn't muck around in the early am, but Chromecast Foxtel Go to the TV so I could watch. I live in a retirement community, and assumed (yes!! I know) it was a village wide problem. It is not.
    So, I would like to know, should all the iQ4 tuners show a signal? I have no terrestrial lead attached, so I suspect a couple would have no signal. I now have quite a few channels that regularly show the no signal message, but not all the time.
    Over my working years I regularly lost hair chasing intermittent faults in differing types of equipment, and know the frustration well.
    The village has a central dish and a cabled distribution system, obviously a non-Foxtel installation. I have done all the basic checks - leads from the wall plate to the box, and I undid and reconnected the leads to the Signal Max switch in box outside. I have no idea where the cable under '603' goes. The others are where the labels say.

My signal strengths & MER are:
    Ch 1: 62 dBuV 15.6 MER
    Ch 2: 59 15.2
    Ch 3: 60 16.3
    Ch 4: 67 13.7
    Ch 5: No signal
    Ch 5: No signal
    Ch 7: 66 dBuV 12.3 MER
    Ch 8: 56 8
    Ch 9: No signal
    Ch 10: No signal

Comments please, and suggestions, before I have to harangue the village management.

Thanks, Bigharps.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The tuners require both horizontal and vertical signals.

Are the missing channels all one polarity.. eg: all vertical or all horizontal?

The problem may be your multiswitch or loss of signal to its input on one polarity.

Also, check your flyleads.... one may be faulty. Swap them around and see if anything changes.

Have you tested the other outlets? Remember, you need both connected to the iQ.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

Thanks

Just looked now, signal only on tuners 1 & 3.
    I don’t know whic chanels are vertical or horizontal.
    both leads are on the box - been connected for two years, no hassles till the last six months or so. The single point in the bedroom is connected to a smart tv and gets all the FTA channels.
    I did a bit of extra reading and found I now can connect my iQ4 internet only, so I think I’ll give it a go. Still I’d like to sort the satellite problem because we are on fixed wireless NBN, and it isn’t all that reliable at peak times. 60-70Mbps at 5am, often 15 or under of an evening.

Maybe because my iQ4 is a few years old, but I do not get the option to connect it by internet only. I thought it might be a bit confused with the satellite cables, so I disconnected them, but still no-go. Gotta solve this rotten satellite problem.
    Last edited by Bigharps; 06-06-22 at 08:59 PM. Reason: New info

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigharps View Post
    Gotta solve this rotten satellite problem.
    You need to be able to test signals into and out of your multiswitch and possibly the upstream multiswitch if there is an smatv distribution system.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Bigharps (09-06-22)