Thread: This is a fine example why nothing 'goes' in Australia

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Default This is a fine example why nothing 'goes' in Australia

The cost of infrastructure here never stops to amaze me but this one might be more clear for everybody to see.
    So it takes two years and AU$25,000,000 for the engineering marvel of erecting a flag pole.

Quote Originally Posted by Perrottet
    I'll go to Bunnings myself and climb up there and put the pole up.
    Ahh... a man with my style of thinking

So lets have a look what a 20m flag pole in the USA costs, If I recall correctly 60ft is roughly 20m:

Mounting a flag pole on a bridge doesn't even require a with excavation, just a base plate and a few bolts.
    OK throw in 20k to rent a helicopter to make the installation a bit easier, although we could also get one for 'free' from our defence force currently being a bit under-utilised right now.

Edit: Maybe the Aboriginals want to carve out of Ironbark by hand a 20m long didgeridoo and use that as a flag pole. I would accept 2 years for that and when the wind blows over it, it makes an insanely deep noise.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-06-22 at 10:46 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22),eaglem (20-06-22),enf (20-06-22),gulliver (20-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

when it comes to anything Aboriginal , somebody is making some money out of the "complex engineering " , thats for sure. As NSW Premier , he should call for an audit of the job to see exactly where and how the money is being spent , to make sure that taxpayers are getting value for money.

Similar situation here where i live - one of the local aboriginal corporations somehow scored a $500,000 grant to open an indigenous themed coffee shop , right next door to their govt funded health service. It opened with much fanfare only for the person running the place to turn away business from white people . Obviously no racism involved here is there ?? the dump closed a couple on months later ( i wonder why ) and the landlord was never paid any rent. Where did the money go ? another government waste ....

• The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22),eaglem (20-06-22),efab (23-06-22),enf (20-06-22),gulliver (20-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22),Uncle Fester (20-06-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sounds like there'll be more kick backs in this job than a River Dance Show!!
    The Eagle Flies High!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eaglem For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (23-06-22),lsemmens (20-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I'll save 'em a couple of bucks, I'll give them a 10% discount if they pay me up front. As a symbol of "unity" take their NSW flag down as that is dividing all Australians into states with borders and hang the blackfella flag on the spare flagpole. I'm sure That is worth $25,000,000 - less 10% of course. Problem solved. Just wait until the rainbow brigade get a hold of that one!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-06-22)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    t opened with much fanfare only for the person running the place to turn away business from white people .
    How could they tell they weren't aboriginal?

I see so many white aboriginals I couldn't tell the different to be racist!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (22-06-22),gulliver (20-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22),loanrangiel (22-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    How could they tell they weren't aboriginal?

I see so many white aboriginals I couldn't tell the different to be racist!
    Did you mean the ones with the Blue eyes and blond hair that’s been permed to make it look frizzy??? they everywhere in Tassie, I find it quite funny that our white Aussie ancestors were accused of genocide in Tassie, now there’s thousands of aboriginals down here, go figure
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-06-22),gulliver (21-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Looks like Perrottet has backflipped on this amazing deal and is looking for an alternative.
    It might still end up $10,000,000 because for some odd reason they need to move the other flag posts and a light

Instead of work intensive pole moving they could just put add two flag poles left and right of the existing one towards the Opera House side so all three flags are visibly symmetrical from the prime viewing points.
    The pole on the other side is a bit hidden unless you are up high or standing far away.
    Question then would be what flag to hang there. Probably costs another $10,000,000 for a committee to decide on that.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (21-06-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Looks like Perrottet has backflipped on this amazing deal and is looking for an alternative.
    It might still end up $10,000,000 because for some odd reason they need to move the other flag posts and a light

Instead of work intensive pole moving they could just put add two flag poles left and right of the existing one towards the Opera House side so all three flags are visibly symmetrical from the prime viewing points.
    The pole on the other side is a bit hidden unless you are up high or standing far away.
    Question then would be what flag to hang there. Probably costs another $10,000,000 for a committee to decide on that.
    Welcome to governent financing. This "project" (being kind) is being used to ditch money from certain budgets prior to tax time. All departments of state and federal governments do this. They operate on the principle that if we don't spend it, they'll think we shouldn't have had it in the first place. They don't give a sh!t, it's not their money.

Happens all the time.....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-06-22),efab (23-06-22),gulliver (21-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22),wotnot (21-06-22)

Thanks

I don't know what we need 3 flags on top of the coathhanger?

Get rid of the Australian Flag, the NSW flag has more importance to the state, so my consultation fee for my work is $250

LSemmens
    Thanks

Interestingly enough a good friend whose grandmother was full blood, is blue eyed and blonde. Her kids look more Abbo than she does.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

enf (21-06-22),Landytrack (23-06-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Interestingly enough a good friend whose grandmother was full blood, is blue eyed and blonde. Her kids look more Abbo than she does.
    Thats the way genetics works....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I don't know what we need 3 flags on top of the coathhanger?

Get rid of the Australian Flag, the NSW flag has more importance to the state, so my consultation fee for my work is $250
    F*ck the state. The nation SHOULD be our priority. Get rid of everything BUT the national flag.

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Welcome to governent financing. This "project" (being kind) is being used to ditch money from certain budgets prior to tax time. All departments of state and federal governments do this. They operate on the principle that if we don't spend it, they'll think we shouldn't have had it in the first place. They don't give a sh!t, it's not their money.

Happens all the time.....
    Further to my point. This is the time when you get the stories of lavish BBQ area refurbishment etc...office reconstructions....overseas jaunts....

I remember I screwed a colour photocopier for my staff (back when these were rare) out of an executive officer by this very means..prior they were reluctant.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (22-06-22)

Banned
    Thanks

Wow! I'm surprised this thread has lasted as long as it has, with some of the comments! hahaha.
    However, I do not think it is 'racist' to simply mention actual costs, and where the money really goes! Just statements of fact!

I don't think any of our countrymen/women should be excluded from any plans/desires to 'help' anyone in 'need', but obviously it
    does go the other way too at times. The 'Census' here, want's to know if one is Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander origin. (??). And
    that makes a difference regarding Centrelink/Pension/Support payments?? Why aren't we all the same???

One of my brothers is a Magistrate in the NT, and another was a Cop in remote areas of the NT for many years. They would receive
    numerous formal requests, (Aboriginals using white Lawyers), that the Police would have to process, and act as a go-between the
    Government, and these individuals/groups. Things like..."We want a boat, to teach our young ones the traditional ways of fishing"...
    The report back... (yes I've seen the paperwork!)... "What size boat... How many engines/horsepower... where can we deliver it?".
    The same goes for high-end 4-wheel drives etc etc. And 100% free dental care, Education/TAFE etc etc. Solely dependent on colour?

I could tell stories that would surprise even the hardened ones here... but would definitely get 'blocked'. Very basically though, the
    Government has pre-determined budgets each year, and they HAVE to SPEND that, as if they come under budget, they never get that
    offer again the NEXT year!! And that's not even a quarter of it... sigh... We should all be equal her in Australia

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

Landytrack (23-06-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks

None of your stories would surprise me Old day's I lived in the Top End for many years. It is still home to me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (24-06-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    .................................................. ........

I could tell stories that would surprise even the hardened ones here... but would definitely get 'blocked'. Very basically though, the
    Government has pre-determined budgets each year, and they HAVE to SPEND that, as if they come under budget, they never get that
    offer again the NEXT year!! And that's not even a quarter of it... sigh... We should all be equal her in Australia
    This is exactly what I was saying. It isn't confined to the NT and Abos either. All public departments do this everywhere.

Each government department or utility has an executive officer who is responsible for allocating the loot. No EO wants his budget cut, as their status changes. They spend the money so they can ask for more.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (24-06-22)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (04-07-22),enf (25-06-22),Landytrack (29-06-22),lsemmens (25-06-22),Uncle Fester (25-06-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Ha, ha.
    What's with the * ?
    Are those two items considered for deletion due to cost saving measures?

This project is sooo rife for new episodes of Utopia (outstanding Aussie satire about our bureaucrats, NOT the Sci-Fi shows).
    They could make a whole new Season devoted to this one project.

As for the spending budget mentioned above, I am sure 25million funnelled towards public housing would do a lot better for some Aboriginals.

Yeah, ditch the useless NSW flag, no need for a third pole... ouch and then what? A commission to shut down the flag waving commission.
    The freed up bureaucrats can then be transferred to live bearing flag pole wavers, standing on top of the bridge in shifts.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 25-06-22 at 06:48 PM.