Thread: Which "top end" Vacuum Cleaner should I get for the home ?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Which "top end" Vacuum Cleaner should I get for the home ?

My expensive Sauber Si200 Vacuum cleaner decided to die on the weekend.... really strange it seems to have somehow got water into it... first the bag I noted seemed full or wet so I changed that for a fresh one without too much thought ... then it seemed to started to splutter and make some bad smell half burning and half wet - I checked the HEPA filter thingys and they seemed to also have condensation or water around them.

About a minute later the machine simply turned itself off, the led display comes up with a thermometer image .... left it outside in the open to dry out but now will still not run .... anyway I figure there is no point trying to fix it I have had it for a number of years well well past it's warranty. (now I am thinking about it I wonder if the missus has poured some water into it .... may trying to make it die so she can get a Dyson cordless!

Anyway it seems the Sauber machines are no longer available to buy new, I notice there is a Wertheim Series 7 which seems to be the top end Vac at Godfreys now - I did have some Wertheim vacs in the past which were did live up to doing a great job, I have both carpet and hard floors, whilst these are expensive getting the max vac clean for X years still seems ultimately good or best value.

Checking online reviews I get mixed positive and negative reports on the Wertheim Series 7 .... what do members here have experiences or views on this here ?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

My wife spent all of her working life as a cleaner. She swears by Miele.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I just use a dry/wet shop vacuum...pretty tough, last for ages, plenty of suction, water can't hurt it =)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I have a Kirby a Dyson a Hoover and some other no-name. THe Kirby is used when I want to clean my carpets properly, Dyson, for general vacuuming, the Hoover was bought as a wet and dry but only gets used outside in the shed these days, you just can't kill it! the no-name hasn't been seen in months, it;s around here somewhere, but I'm not looking for it.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

I went to grab a broom and noticed a V11 Pro Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner.. WTF ???
    Where did that come from ??.. I had NFI we had one.. Asked the missus and she said,
    'I bought it when you purchased your crate motor from the states'.. I quickly shut up and asked how's it working.. LOL
    Set on High, you'll only get about 45min use.. Very powerful thou'.. also great for couches & curtains.
    29.6v Li-ion 2000mAh battery, rated @ 400w. 2-3 hours charging time

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

enf (24-06-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Admin swears by those roomba things.....

I have a dyson, shit vacuum and battery only lasts 5 minutes on high....

Im in the market for a vacuum/hard floor washer thing....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

Im in the market for a vacuum/hard floor washer thing....
    I think you might be talking about 2 different appliances there..

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loopyloo View Post
    I think you might be talking about 2 different appliances there..

something like this........

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,962 Times in 9,059 Posts

We have a Kirby...20+ years old. Still works well...but it's like a car. You have to have it serviced occasionally, so not cheap.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    something like this........

Ah, didn't know they existed.
    Bissell make the best carpet cleaners so that machine would prob be excellent.

Thanks

my kid has one of the crosswaves and loves it . does a good job considering she has a
    dog running through the joint

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    We have a Kirby...20+ years old. Still works well...but it's like a car. You have to have it serviced occasionally, so not cheap.
    I bought our Kirby for $5 in a garage sale (probably now 8-10 years, when there still were garage sales).
    The thing about them is that they can always be fixed by pretty much anybody cheaply who knows where the business end of a screw driver is and is aware of Ebay

Nothing beats this old thing as long as you always adjust the height right which is super easy to do with you foot but for my wife it is just getting too heavy to bring up and down the stairs so we had to get a stick vacuum.
    I also don't understand why people still want to torture themselves with these clumsy tow behind barrel vacuum cleaners.

I don't believe in spending big money in these things as Dyson is just as crap as Chinese/Aldi jobs, which recently died because the brushed motor had a windings short.

Aldi currently has one with a brushless motor but I think it is still only 22V.
    Ensure that your new vacuum has a brushless motor, not only for longevity and higher performance but also less risk of moisture damage when somebody spilled liquid on the floor and that gets sucked up, as that might have been the case with your former model.

I recently got this one on Ebay:

So far pleased with it, the only brushless 30V stick I could find at the time, quiet and powerful for the size(light weight), gets out the white cat hair stuck in the dark carpet almost as well as the Kirby.
    If it lasts 2 years(as the old Aldi did) I am fine with that, my wife vacuums 3 times a day !!! It may have been over 3 years now, I am losing track of time. I bought it well before Covid.
    But I expect the brushless motor will last longer.

BTW, I hate throwing things away especially a perfectly good Li-Ion battery pack that is so easy to charge. Such an item must never be thrown in the bin anyway.
    So I redesigned the Aldi head unit to a powerful wide beam torch/work light, that lights up the whole street. The LED street lights our council installed are dismal.
    I had to find an 8W 12V LED downlight because the electronic would shut down with the standard 6W, used a $3 step down board of course to get the 12V out of the 22V.

So a stick vacuum light:

Sorry for the sidetrack but this IS the electronic forum
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 24-06-22 at 11:58 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

checkitout (11-09-22),enf (28-06-22),gulliver (21-07-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,962 Times in 9,059 Posts

Fester, does your Kirby have a gearbox? Ours is whats called a gen3, forward and reverse gearbox so no real pushing. I dunno if they are all like that.

And like you said, get the height right and nothing beats them.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Mine does. G6
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Fester, does your Kirby have a gearbox? Ours is whats called a gen3, forward and reverse gearbox so no real pushing. I dunno if they are all like that.

And like you said, get the height right and nothing beats them.
    It is a heritage 2, no fancy gearbox, didn't even know the later models are self driving.
    We have about 200 sqm of carpet mostly upstairs and my wife collects countless mats and runners so the height needs to be adjusted a lot.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

I just bought one of these :

My battery, that only lasted 5 minutes on high from new, just died....

It should last a decent time with a Milwaukee battery....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks All - I always love to hear and get great like minded feedback and experience here, it definitely helps when you are looking at what to do or buy.

Fortunately I was very lucky, while I was searching online ebay market place gumtree etc I found a second hand sauber same series as mine that was damaged casing wise but otherwise working motor wise that I was able to buy for $50.

There was a little bit of a challenge for me to working putting the parts between the my original and this second hand unit into a single working one but I am chuffed actually, a little patience with a screw driver went a long way. The Sauber is working sweet as now, just like a new one.

Apologies for not replying back earlier - I had a business trip in Vegas shortly after my posting here however unfortunately I caught Covid two days after arriving which mucked me up bad with extended stay, then also got covid rebound for a month once I got back - crazy shit

Thanks again all

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to checkitout For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (11-09-22),Uncle Fester (15-09-22)