Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Price Of Petrol

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Yup....also helps when you've got govt. sponsored boats/planes =) ...but back to topic...

By the time it got to $1.50/litre, I had done everything I could to improve fuel consumption...different cam grind, slightly longer intake runners, cold air intake setup, custom ECU chip and auto-trans TCU, slightly taller diff ratio, all the usual tricks, and got it from the stock 10~12klm/l out to a healthier (for my wallet =) 14~17klm/l ...it doesn't seem like much, but that's a reasonable gain...

Thank fuk for that B^)
    Price increases are a fact of life, especially today! Years ago, most Americans drove those huge 'tanks' because the price of 'Gas!' per Gallon was so
    cheap that no-one really cared!! Whether it's oil reserves, or politics, those old days are gone! so we have to think differently today. Although your
    'measures' above were aimed at reducing that, it doesn't change the fact that today, we need 'smaller' and more efficient cars. Unless one 'needs' it
    on a Farm, or specific outback business, we just can't afford the general domestic population having huge V8's and 4-Wheel-Drives? I'm not saying that
    'yours' fits into that category, but just that in general, like it or not, we have to think smaller these days!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Petrol price?
    Forgot about petrol.
    Haven't been to a servo in over 3 months, despite driving to town often twice a day.
    Weather pending I might have to purchase 30litres of the stuff for a 600km roundtrip. No biggie.

Adjusted for inflation/income I would be paying for petrol in Germany before I moved back here in 2001, the same as what you pay now.
    I was shocked how cheap petrol AND electricity was in Australia.

Then electricity got privatised and that was the end of that.
    Petrol sneaked up slowly too and was $1.80, thats when I ditched the 17litre/100km drinking Pajero for a diesel but petrol went down again.
    However the price benefit of diesel sneaked away, sometimes higher than low octane petrol. I think it might be always higher now.

So glad I don't have to be bothered with this any more.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-07-22 at 11:05 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Banned
    Thanks

Dear 'Uncle'... I'm a bit confused what your point was, above?...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

(I'm guessing) He drives a hybrid.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (19-07-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    (I'm guessing) He drives a hybrid.
    mate of mine doesn't give a damn about petrol prices.

Plugs his EV in garage bowser, powered by solar and battery storage, drives 180k round trip to work.

Only petrol he buys is for the mower. No cars made here so, EV is the way we'll end up going...
    Last edited by Johnno; 07-07-22 at 04:21 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (08-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

Nah....I think what fester is suggesting, is that bazzy should electrify the fairlane, and perhaps also hybridize right at the now, with a future view of being able to replace the hybrid power source with some new fangled hydrogen based energy cell 'coz it's a pretty large car and it's easier to munge different technologies into place B^)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Johnno (07-07-22),Uncle Fester (07-07-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

Electrify the Fairlane ?? .. would never happen to any of my beasts.. bad idea. lucky mine are Holdens..lol

Took mine out for a run up the highway and spent $100 on petrol. .. It's obviously not a daily driver.

$2.25ltr and it didn't take long to drain the fuel tank..
    Last edited by Johnno; 07-07-22 at 04:17 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

gulliver (07-07-22)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY!!!! Make long extension cords for electric cars to power them, none of those pesky batteries to go flat! What could possibly go wrong?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Johnno (07-07-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY!!!! Make long extension cords for electric cars to power them, none of those pesky batteries to go flat! What could possibly go wrong?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (07-07-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

That's a bit outdated Enf.
    We all know that even the dirty coal power is still a lot cleaner and way more efficient than all those petrol stinkers.

Yes Lsemmens, plug-in hybrid charged with solar and house battery bank of LFP batteries. Problem now is our planet slowly turning into Venus and the back to back La Nina weather means no more sun. Not a problem if I had more roof space, me has not

Yes Wotnot there are now a few businesses sprouting up in Australia to do pretty much any EV conversion you like, so why not a classic Fairlane. Generally cheaper than a new EV but the range is not so great.
    Because we are so late to the party, the waiting list for new EVs is very long with some second hand model Teslas costing as much as or even more than new for the impatient.

In Norway 80% of new car purchases are now EV, a no brainer when you have so much hydro. Tassie could easily follow their footsteps, obviously no range issues either.
    So yeah... petrol prices? What petrol prices?!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-07-22 at 12:08 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

C'mon fester...there are petrol stinkers and there are petrol cars....you know that....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

Going to be OT wrt topic...however just considering fluid staples that are measured in $/L that suddenly go up 30cents in a single bound...

Of course they're counting in rising fuel/transport costs as part of the cause, but this is kinda like the tip of the iceberg ~ I was at a cattle sales-yard beginning of this week, and calves/cows were fetching around $2,800/head ...watch beef prices in coming months =^/

Back to fuel...(diesel & petrol)....as the price rises, the stuff becomes valuable and thieves hitting plastic fuel tanks with cordless drills to drain them is on the up & up ; farmers can't leave tractors etc out in the open 'coz of ppl nicking fuel like this ; a tractor dealership up north rocked up to work Monday morning to find 3 or 4 machines hit by this, they're going to need invest in security for their yard, and out in the country areas petrol station franchises/owners are having to have better locking fitted to their holding tanks, as it's been discovered thieves have been into that as well.

I guess it was always going to happen, with anything, once the price goes up -- I can find some anecdotal humour in it all though....

..I recall back back in the 70's in Qld when we had 'coin pumps' at a lot of servo's - back then the old leaded 'super' petrol was around $0.18/litre (<- how perverse that looks now 8), so the notion of feeding a petrol-pump a few bucks worth of silver was economically viable, and ppl used them all the time. In those days, if one rode a motorbike, it was a common ploy to go to these pumps and get 'free' petrol --- that is to say, there was always some petrol left in the bowser hose, maybe up to 250ml, and if you lifted the hose carefully with the nozzle in you tank, you could empty the hose ; after a few 'hits' you had enough petrol to ride around all day, or else get you home in a crunch for nothing.

The coin pumps were always the targets for vandals, trying to get the money out of the machines ; no one gave a shit about stealing petrol, it was ostensibly considered worthless -- funny how times change but the modus operandi remains the same B^)

Thanks

To be totally ON topic (a rare happening from me), I just came back from my 600km roundtrip where I filled up for 207.9c per litre before I left, only to arrive back seeing now only 189.9c at the same servo.
    I don't know what the people are on about. I payed more throughout the 1990's in Germany.
    I didn't fill up though because I don't want to carry all that dead weight around. The hybrid only starts complaining if I don't add 15 litres after 3 months to reduce the risk of the petrol going stale, which is also a reason why I don't want more than 5 litres in the tank.

Diesel is a shocker, still over 220c, obviously some rort going on because businesses need it.

I think OPEC is quietly releasing more crud because they are worrying that ppl use now less (where they can) and all the talk about buying EVs might be freaking them out, even here in Australia.
    Just a theory why prices are dropping.
    Of course it is very hot in the most populated hemisphere, so no demand for heating oil.

Now to more serious matters than petrol price (and my usual self):
    Aldi is currently selling 'anti inflation' BEER (or was until I came around and wiped out their stock) for only $9.99 a six pack, unfortunately no cartons.
    It is called Birra Italia from Milano, tastes better than Peroni and with a slight hoppyness of a Pilsner Urquell, just the right balance.

Thanks

My wife and I decided to do a two week country trip to Carnarvon, Kalbarri and Geraldton - north of Perth.

The price of fuel some 900km's north of Perth is roughly $2.25 a litre - the same price as the City of Perth bowsers on the most expensive price cycle in Perth.

Fuel was always obviously more expensive hundreds of km's out of the city. To have it basically the same price is WOW!

• The Following User Says Thank You to David071 For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (23-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

diesel has been over 2.30/l here in kal for a couple of months.....

ive had to raise my rates by 30%, pretty standard across the transport industry....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    diesel has been over 2.30/l here in kal for a couple of months.....

ive had to raise my rates by 30%, pretty standard across the transport industry....
    Snowball effect - it now costs more to ship it further =)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Shipping costs across the board will rise, they have to.

What fuel Fester? 98,95,91,E10?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Shipping costs across the board will rise, they have to.

What fuel Fester? 98,95,91,E10?
    The normal cheap stuff at Woolies Caltex. Not E10, pretty sure 91 octane.
    We are far away from shipping ports and usually higher priced than other towns.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-07-22 at 08:18 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

I went to Costco near Perth airport today to buy vodka....

There was a line up about 1km long to buy fuel at Costco servo....

I don't see the point....

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast