Thread: Can I make a home made alarm system?

Thanks

Default Can I make a home made alarm system?

Gday, I found a few security alarm bits, and I'm wondering if I can make a pretty basic/rudimentary burglar alarm. So I've got an alarm box, with a flashing light, and I've got a siren from an old car alarm that seems to work, so if I wire them in parallel to a 12V battery, the alarm will sound and the light will flash, as it should. I've also got some 240V motion sensor lights, so I was thinking of some how hooking up the motion sensor to the siren and light, and making it go off if it detected motion, Thinking I'd need an inverter, and a time delay switch to give me time to exit the building after arming the alarm. Keeping in mind, this wont be used as an actual security device, so I'm not expecting it to be mega secure (more a bit of a deterrent) and I'm also just wanting to do it for a bit of an experiment in electronics. What are people's thoughts?

Gab

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Google 'rpi house alarm system' or 'arduino house alarm system' ...you should get some ideas there (also 'diy house alarm system' is worth a look )

Thanks

Why bother. My opinion it's a waste of time, if this can't be declared as a proper house alarm in insurance forms.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Given the OP has not participated in this (and other threads) he started... saying he only started them as he 'was bored'.

Closed.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.