Thread: TV romote wont work in Winter

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default TV romote wont work in Winter

Hi all
    I have a 32 inch Sonic TV in the Garage and noticed lately it hard to turn it on and off via the remote. Yes changed the batteries but its the same I pull the remote apart, cleaned the contact on the rubber matt for power only and it was very good for 4 weeks but slowly it has gone back that you have to press hard to turn the TV on and off. Question, is there a way to cleaned the contacts or do anything that makes it easy to use. Yes had the issue last winter but its doing the same this year

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-07-22)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks

Moisture? Have you tried putting the r/c in a plastic bag like some people do.
    Last edited by gulliver; 06-07-22 at 04:23 PM.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
    Moisture? Have you tried putting the r/c in a plastic bag like some people do.
    That a new one for me. I also have the same issue inside the house with another remote. Could moisture cause this issue inside the house on another tv.?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

If the pads are like most remotes, they are coated with conductive carbon and they wear.

Cleaning them will likely remove more of the coating and make it worse.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (06-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Depending on model, replacement remotes are $10~$20

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If the pads are like most remotes, they are coated with conductive carbon and they wear.

If you have that type of keypad, you can re-coat the conductive pads.
    Eg:
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Johnno (07-07-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Yep, that'll be your problem, carbon & copper keypad switches that are worn. You could re-coat as mentioned by mtv OR
    just download an app called 'AnyMote' and use your phone as the remote for all your gadgets..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

gulliver (07-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Depending on model, replacement remotes are $10~$20
    I think I might try to get a new one on ebay as the tv is discontinued 4 years ago.
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post

Yes I say so. Time to get a new one that works. All I need is on and off and the HDMI selections, thats it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    ~ All I need is on and off and the HDMI selections, thats it.
    Then why not buy a monitor instead of a television?

If you don't need sound (even though you can get monitors with speakers) and you don't need the tuner or any of the "smart" TV features then you will save a lot of money and a monitor will automatically go into standby mode on the loss of source signal.

EDIT: Ah sorry, you were talking about getting a new remote, not a new TV, my fault for not reading the thread title.
    Last edited by Bigfella237; 07-07-22 at 11:39 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

1. Thoroughly clean the board contacts with Isopropyl Alcohol.

2. Useing a piece of printer paper as a fine abrasive, place the rubber contacts on it and lightly slide them for an inch.

3. Reassemble and test. If it is still troublesome...

4. Aaaah f*ck it, buy one on ebay
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (10-07-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    1. Thoroughly clean the board contacts with Isopropyl Alcohol.

2. Useing a piece of printer paper as a fine abrasive, place the rubber contacts on it and lightly slide them for an inch.

3. Reassemble and test. If it is still troublesome...

4. Aaaah f*ck it, buy one on ebay
    Yeahhhhh got a Shock how many you can get on ebay so I bought 2 of them. Yes Exact ones.
    Thanks all for your help. by the way I have isopropyl and cleaned it also used 800 grip wet and dry, cleaned it the remote was working like new but one month later it went bad again. Yes this was a ongoing saga.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Then why not buy a monitor instead of a television?

If you don't need sound (even though you can get monitors with speakers) and you don't need the tuner or any of the "smart" TV features then you will save a lot of money and a monitor will automatically go into standby mode on the loss of source signal.

EDIT: Ah sorry, you were talking about getting a new remote, not a new TV, my fault for not reading the thread title.
    I have a habit for this, call it HURRY

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (13-07-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    Yeahhhhh got a Shock how many you can get on ebay so I bought 2 of them. Yes Exact ones.
    Thanks all for your help. by the way I have isopropyl and cleaned it also used 800 grip wet and dry, cleaned it the remote was working like new but one month later it went bad again. Yes this was a ongoing saga.
    If one is into retro computers like myself with membrane type keyboards (Amiga, Atari, Commodores etc etc), you get to know all too well just how 'flimsy' the DIY fixups for this issue tend to be ; there is no replacement for a new membrane =)

Remotes, different construction but just as much built to a price instead of functional longevity, are in the same boat, with contact coatings measured in microns that only last a limited time (as do repairs).

This is why I posted earlier here that replacement units were cheap as chips...prolly my bad for not pointing towards ebay as the source, but I figure ppl would've worked that out 8)

Incidentally, if you end up in a hole with this (replacement remotes not available) and/or you get the shits with having to fix the thing constantly, trick is to buy a 'learning' remote (ebay again, cheap as), you can just fix the thing once and 'teach' the learning remote what IR codes the original remote uses, and you're done - new reliable remote that works consistently (put the old one in a drawer =)....and there's 2.4ghz learning 'motes as well these days....

...if the hole is deeper than that....ie; the remote is truly dead and replacements aren't available (I've been here in the past with customers =), sometimes you can buy remotes with multiple device profiles in them, and even if your device isn't listed, you often find that one of these profiles will actually work with your device....

...if you've *really* pissed off Murphy and due for a comeuppance, and that doesn't work either....you can DIY build your own IR transmitter and connect it to your computer serial port, and drive the show with (or on 'dose ) and try all the IR remote device profiles available in the . If you find a match, you can teach the learning remote with this arrangement....and if that doesn't do it there's other routines/scripts you can run to try to find what the device responds to. If that doesn't work, it's been the IR receiver all along because Murphy said so B^)

Thanks

Thanks all for replying to my post. I got a genuine (maybe yeah or No) new one from ebay, could be a Chinese copy and it work like a new one for $15 so I was that impressed I bought another as a spare.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Of course, now you have a spare, you know the other one will not wear out! LOL
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

gulliver (27-07-22)