Thread: LG dv298h DVD player fault

Thanks

Default LG dv298h DVD player fault

Hi all, the above model DVD player has developed a fault whereby when playing it switches itself off after anywhere from about 5 to 30 minutes.

It will start up again normally but repeats the same thing.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks, V

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

If it turned up here as described...

1. Try to ascertain whether or not heat is a component of failure ~ cover it's vents, or get the hairdrier out ; object of the game being to see if it's more prone to failure when hot...

2. Cover off and visual inspection ~ dust/insect intrusion are the enemy. If step 1 above determined heat was a factor, suspect electrolytic caps in power-supply sections and/or buffer caps about the board. Locate DC power rails and measure them - if any found bad or low, fix them. Can be worth monitoring all supply rails to determine whether or not just 1 rail is going bad at time of failure.

3. If I haven't found cause yet, it gets more involved and about the time I say to the customer "cheaper to buy a new one" ...<grin>....I can go on, microscopic examination of the PCB, speculative reflowing of ICs etc on the board, use FLIR to try identify any hotspots that shouldn't be there blablabla...in the back of my mind I know the service repair might be {ahem} 'replace mainboard' because the ram/rom is screwed up or something else 'in chip' and you'll never find/fix the fault...but then you see the cost of the replacement (if available) part is nearly half the price of buying a new player...and you think nahh...if the mainboard's failed already, how long before the laser head spits the dummy?... it is what it is, sad but true =)

HTH

Thanks

Much appreciated, thank you