Thread: avast anti virus

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default avast anti virus

Hi I am trying to get to mygov australia but my avast keeps blocking me , threat secured , url phissing ,,, is it just me or has the government site been hacked thanks for any info

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

The website is working OK for me.

Perhaps your AV is just blocking it because the page is asking for login details.

Ensure you have the correct URL... Google mygov and you should get the correct URL: which takes you to the login page.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

wotnot (01-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

thanks for the info , but its still doing it so I will delete avast and see if I can log in to mygov

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

The website is working OK for me.
    +1

Thanks

Default Avast blocking MyGov

Quote Originally Posted by wazza811 View Post
    Hi I am trying to get to mygov australia but my avast keeps blocking me , threat secured , url phissing ,,, is it just me or has the government site been hacked thanks for any info
    I have the same problem trying to login to MyGov from my PC. No problem logging in from my iPhone. Did it work when you deleted Avast? I tried entering my.gov.au as an exception in Avast which gets me a little further but blocks after logging in!

Premium Member
    Thanks

FTR....I'm running debian linux + firefox-esr + uBO adblock (uBlock_Origin)...no 'anti-virus' software of course =)

It works fine here, however I do note this ;

I'd suspect they might be doing a parallel website upgrade ; there's every chance the site's cookie data may have changed.

If that were so, it'd be worthwhile clearing your web-broswer's cache/cookies for the mygov website, and trying again --- it would be useful if someone so effected might try this, and report back as to whether or not such fixes the issue =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 01-08-22 at 05:58 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

epaclm (01-08-22),Tiny (02-08-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    FTR....I'm running debian linux + firefox-esr + uBO adblock (uBlock_Origin)...no 'anti-virus' software of course =)

I works fine here, however I do note this ;

I'd suspect they might be doing a parallel website upgrade ; there's every chance the site's cookie data may have changed.

If that were so, it'd be worthwhile clearing your web-broswer's cache/cookies for the mygov website, and trying again --- it would be useful if someone so effected might try this, and report back as to whether or not such fixes the issue =)
    I cleared cache/cookies and the login now works, Thank you!

• The Following User Says Thank You to epaclm For This Useful Post:

wotnot (01-08-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I make it a rule to use only a specific browser for all money/business/government activity.
    I use always updated Firefox set up to 'never remember history' which turns it into permanently private mode.
    So while I am using it, cookies are stored and referrals read by the website it is being used for and when I am finished I close that browser before I use it again.
    If I want to do do banking and trading at the same time I open a second private window.

I keep a completely different browser (Epic with proxy) always open with hundreds of tabs for general and browsing.

And a different browser, Vivaldi for online shopping (Ebay) which I also keep open all the time and allow fingerprinting so I am deliberately identified so I don't have to constantly log in the whole time.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (02-08-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

+1

I have a browser exclusively for all matters to do with money and privacy. MyGov included. No history, no passwords.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I got around to doing my tax return today, was procrastinating but for the sake of this thread I wanted to see what was going on.

my.gov asked if I wanted to try their beta and I clicked don't bother me again and stayed old school.
    Everything went super easy, despite a message on top saying my browser(Firefox) was not compatible. That was on the linked through ATO site though.

I hope their change 'for the sake of changing things' doesn't become a problem when they decide to make it permanent.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-08-22 at 11:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (04-08-22),enf (03-08-22)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

I hope their change 'for the sake of changing things' doesn't become a problem when they decide to make it permanent.
    Ummmm, based on years of Govt IT experience.......it probably will but they'll make it permanent anyway....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (04-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,905 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I got around to doing my tax return today, was procrastinating but for the sake of this thread I wanted to see what was going on.

my.gov asked if I wanted to try their beta and I clicked don't bother me again and stayed old school.
    Everything went super easy, despite a message on top saying my browser(Firefox) was not compatible. That was on the linked through ATO site though.

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Ummmm, based on years of Govt IT experience.......it probably will but they'll make it permanent anyway....
    I wonder if this is all just leading in to our Proxy Australia Card, without the card, just digital. I think I already know the answer to that one, its taken 36 years but its almost here...

Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

wotnot (05-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    I wonder if this is all just leading in to our Proxy Australia Card, without the card, just digital. I think I already know the answer to that one, its taken 36 years but its almost here...

They no longer need it -- they can just ask google B)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (05-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    They no longer need it -- they can just ask google B)
    lol, yes
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

• The Following User Says Thank You to Al Bundy For This Useful Post:

wotnot (05-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I made an exception and it works now , very easy in the end , thanks for all the info everyone

• The Following User Says Thank You to wazza811 For This Useful Post:

Al Bundy (05-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Sorry to take it off topic wazza
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazza811 View Post
    I made an exception and it works now , very easy in the end , thanks for all the info everyone
    I'm no fan of putting in domain-name exceptions into something like an anti-virus (or many other) software programs ~ in essence, what you're instructing said software program with, is that you totally trust that domain-name will never serve malicious content to your computer, and that there's no chance at all, ever, that said domain-name/site will ever be 'spoofed', and that equally there's no chance at all the website of that domain-name will ever get hacked itself and end up serving you malicious content.

This is particularly so with business/corporate computing environments ~ you see on the news of one or another computer system being hacked, and that how all that website's clients/customers go on to hacked as well (ransomware typically) --- you would (*not* =) be surprised to find how many business/corporate LANs all have reliance on some external/3rdparty website for operations, and every single computer is running anti-virus software...that has an exception for aforesaid external/3rdparty websites...which get hacked --- I know, I've been there in times past in audit and mopping up =)

The elephant in the room of course....and I thank 'epaclm' for putting my hypothesis to the test.... is that you didn't need an exception ...<grin>... I never use the stuff myself, but understand how so called anti-virus softwares work, so when I saw mygov were shilling their new beta website...to -me-, it's like "I'll bet you avast is having a hissyfit about cookie session ids when the landing page proffers a login alternate...you'd have to change cookie data to pull that off anyway server end, so the browser's probably stuck with invalid/stale cookies"....from a netops view it's a pita when ecommerce websites do this, when you've got 2 different sites as it were, accessing/changing the same database, with pay portals weaved inbetween...just 'yuk'....it causes shit like this to happen, frigging ebay do it all the time with minor site updates.

IMHO though, I'd remove the exception (so avast can keep doing it's job), and clear your browser cache/cookies for mygov

This is not me wearing a tinfoil hat nor being unjustifiably paranoid, it's just a technical reality coupled with a healthy respect for Murphy's Law ~ if ever anyone effectively spoofs mygov, or mygov itself is somehow compromised and starts delivering malicious content, you're probably gunna be screwed B^)

I would temper that with the following thought ; if there is another world war, the internet will most definitely be one of the battlegrounds....

• 09-12-22, 02:27 AM

• 10-10-23, 11:26 AM