Thread: 4WDs TV Commercial

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default 4WDs TV Commercial

Just watched the add(again) with a 4wd going through water and dirt roads all rough, but in the city when they come to a sppedhump,they are slowing down to 10 kmh not to damage their precious car,lol.
    I like that snarling dog at the end.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
    Just watched the add(again) with a 4wd going through water and dirt roads all rough, but in the city when they come to a sppedhump,they are slowing down to 10 kmh not to damage their precious car,lol.
    Which ad? =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mitsubishi

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I was looking at a Mits Triton, far out i didn't realise they put their prices up $7k a few months back. I'm looking at a Musso now!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mitsubishi
    Ahh....must be on teevee (which I don't watch) ..can't find what you describe on YT either...

I could make comment, but alas without the video footage to appraise, anything I say would be moot 8)

If anyone happens to find the same vid on some other media, point me at it.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I was looking at a Mits Triton, far out i didn't realise they put their prices up $7k a few months back. I'm looking at a Musso now!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Reschs (03-08-22),Tiny (03-08-22)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

This seems to be a rather open thread with the title 4WD, as I have yet to fathom it's existence.

Haven't notice the ad but I DO drive a Mitsubishi 4WD, albeit powered by 2 electric motors front and rear with a parallel addition of an ICE direct drive at front when I want.

These days 4WD doesn't mean just going off road in the mud but it is also about traction control and safer driving + they are generally roomy and comfortable vehicles, allowing for safe transport of goods and equipment as well as being practical for leisure.
    I can just chuck my kayak INSIDE my 4WD rather than going through the stress of lifting and tying it to a roof rack which I don't even have anymore because the wind load makes it just too inefficient.

So if I drive over speed humps at less than 20km/h, I am doing this to not only preserve the life of my struts but also that of pedestrians or even children who may suddenly appear in the areas where these speed humps are located.

So yes city dwellers should be allowed to own and drive 4WDs without ridicule and I strongly disagree with the OP's comment regarding slowing down.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-08-22 at 10:50 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-08-22),Keith (03-08-22),wotnot (03-08-22)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I have changed the title of this thread to '4WDs TV Commercial' as the existing title of '4WDs' was very vague and if the subject matter was about vehicles themselves, it would belong in the automotive section.

Given the subject is about the TV commercial, I'll leave it in general chat.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-08-22),Tiny (03-08-22),wotnot (03-08-22)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

It's more about not getting a compressed spine, from the harder suspension, when you hit the speed hump. I drive a '03 78 Series Toyota Landcruiser. And if you hit one of those speed humps too hard it's like getting a kick up ya backside. But there is a technique; just before the speed hump give your brakes a quick hit, which compresses your front springs. Then, if you time it right, as your foot comes off the brakes, the front lifts just as your front wheels hit the speed hump, making a much softer crossing. And if you stuff it up, it's twice as bad.. But you also have to watch out for the impatient wanker sitting up you bum, wondering why you cross speed humps so slowly... Hope this helps..

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-08-22),wotnot (03-08-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    This seems to be a rather open thread with the title 4WD, as I have yet to fathom it's existence.
    Agreed...kind of gets lost between 'the BS they spout in advertisements', and 'is this how to drive one's 4WD?'....ergo, I asked the powers-that-be if this thread should be moved to here in automotive tech....seems they concur (didn't see mtv's update =)

These days 4WD doesn't mean just going off road in the mud but it is also about traction control and safer driving + they are generally roomy and comfortable vehicles, allowing for safe transport of goods and equipment as well as being practical for leisure.
    Tow vehicles...you forgot to mention that <grin>....as for the other points, a SUV with AWD is similarly disposed, perhaps not quite as roomy as a dedicated 4WD platform, but certainly up there wrt the other points...for example, I much prefer to drive an AWD Subaru wagon, than a FWD anything else in the same vehicle class....(RWD I can happily live with =)

So if I drive over speed humps at less than 20km/h, I am doing this to not only preserve the life of my struts but also that of pedestrians or even children who may suddenly appear in the areas where these speed humps are located.

So yes city dwellers should be allowed to own and drive 4WDs without ridicule and I strongly disagree with the OP's comment regarding slowing down.
    Your struts will be fine typically ~ wear&tear on suspension bushes & shock absorbers (aka. strut cartridges) is another matter though. On the road, a 4WD platform is often in a compromised position...that is to say, what tyres does it have fitted? Are they the fulltime road use only tyre (with max benefits on sealed roads), or has one given away 30% of that possible road performance by having 'universal' off/on road tyres without thinking about it...or else some full offroad tyre I see some bogans driving around, because they think it looks cool having big knobby rubber. It's just a simple equation...if there's a (road) tyre for your 4WD that offers you best/safest road performance...for the 90% of the time you're not offroad, why would you use a tyre with less road performance, for the 10% of the time you're off road? If we throw in cold, wet tarmac, things don't go your way.

Then there's tyre inflation pressure...you go 4WDving proper like, you'll lower your tyre pressures 25-30% -- this is not just to obtain a better thread footprint contact with the ground, it also allows the tyre itself to absorb hard shock loadings, so such does beat the shit out of your suspension..it even helps alleviate tyre bounce (when a tyre is bouncing, it's not in contact with the road)....it's bad practice -- try driving at a speed hump at >30kph with 'road' tyre pressure and see how you feel ; you'll hurt the occupants before you hurt the machine (as heads hit roof lining =)...the missus will curse you, the flowerpots in the back she just bought for the garden have all jumped up and tipped over, spilling dirt all over the rear floor, all the grocery bags have likewise tipped over as well, so all your food shopping is rolling in the dirt, and the kids in the back have thrown and split their maccas milkshakes everywhere...and the pet dog in the back just found the meat....lol..

City dwelling owner/drivers of 4WD vehicles I've no problem with, but for their own sake (and others), I really do wish the vehicle NCOP were more critical wrt what tyres are fitted to them (this would be post vehicle delivery of course, and in the aftermarket parts area for suspension/tyres that are allowed to be fitted) ...but that's a real rabbit warren as I recently found out after quizzing the Qld TMR about a different tyre related matter...and it turns out tyre/wheel fitment...as in, those particular items, are covered under a separate AS guideline and changes would have to be made there first, which would flow on into the NCOP...FFS...bureaucrats...oh well ..(actually, credit where's it due -- my query was not directly in TMR's purview, and they did answer my question ..it's just they didn't actually know why .. 8)

I tell you what though...in my little sortie on YT looking for said ad, some others I found are next to potentially lethal....slowing down to negotiate speed humps is the totally sane thing to do and then regardless of vehicle -- the faster you hit it, the longer the time the tyre won't be in contact with the road, which means the driver no longer has full control of the vehicle ; that simple.

This shit though.....watch this Mitsubishi ad ; take particular note to the towing of (other brand of 4WD vehicle 8) out of the mud....

Looks easy, doesn't it? Even clean cut new millenial dad can pull it off, right? There's no details, it just looks like what it is....but I'm sure every skilled/trained 4WDer looked at that and winced...because..

So for myself who's never seen the actual ad....I'll give Mitsubishi 5/5 for detailing that they expect the potential owners of their vehicles to drive in a safe&sane manner slowing down for speed humps (because that's what they're there for after all)...but they get a -100/5 for that tow out of the mud scene...I have to wonder how many takes of that scene there were in production... like I'll bet there's some finetype disclaimer, but still..."how to use your 4WD and put everyone at risk, including yourself"...idiots...the ad company, or Mitsi's PR dept etc....not the brand so much...I'd choose a Pagero do over a Prado for instance, if only because the Mitsi's tend to give you less grief mechanically =)
    Last edited by wotnot; 03-08-22 at 10:17 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-08-22),Uncle Fester (06-08-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

I tell you what though...in my little sortie on YT looking for said ad, some others I found are next to potentially lethal....slowing down to negotiate speed humps is the totally sane thing to do and then regardless of vehicle -- the faster you hit it, the longer the time the tyre won't be in contact with the road, which means the driver no longer has full control of the vehicle ; that simple.

This shit though.....watch this Mitsubishi ad ; take particular note to the towing of (other brand of 4WD vehicle 8) out of the mud....

Looks easy, doesn't it? Even clean cut new millenial dad can pull it off, right? There's no details, it just looks like what it is....but I'm sure every skilled/trained 4WDer looked at that and winced...because..

To be fair though, and it probably ties in with not enough details, it doesn't show the tow vehicle using the tow ball as the anchor point (even though it's obviously attached near that area)

The guy doing the recovery may be using a "tow hitch recovery point" (google it) or even just the tow hitch pin in the receiver to attach the snatch strap. Bot of these methods are safe to do.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

-- try driving at a speed hump at >30kph with 'road' tyre pressure and see how you feel ; you'll hurt the occupants before you hurt the machine (as heads hit roof lining =)...the missus will curse you, the flowerpots in the back she just bought for the garden have all jumped up and tipped over, spilling dirt all over the rear floor, all the grocery bags have likewise tipped over as well, so all your food shopping is rolling in the dirt, and the kids in the back have thrown and split their maccas milkshakes everywhere...and the pet dog in the back just found the meat....lol..
    Leave out the dog and maccas and you got it right, LOL.
    I was much more of a rowdy with my old Nissan Terrano turbo diesel when SWMBO was NOT in the vehicle. It actually had quite a long soft suspension, maybe because of the torsion spring rods.

Compression rod mounts gave first but I let a professional weld that. Shocks on that vehicle were super easy to replace and cheap. Some other tie rods I did too.
    Tyres were usually below 32psi thanks to constant rim leaks. The fun of having an old car.
    Still got almost 3 grand for it (over 20 years old).

I also used it as a tractor, pulling out tree stumps.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-08-22 at 11:22 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (07-08-22)

Thanks

Leave out the dog and maccas and you got it right, LOL.
    I was much more of a rowdy with my old Nissan Terrano turbo diesel when SWMBO was NOT in the vehicle. It actually had quite a long soft suspension, maybe because of the torsion spring rods.

Compression rod mounts gave first but I let a professional weld that. Shocks on that vehicle were super easy to replace and cheap. Some other tie rods I did too.
    Tyres were usually below 32psi thanks to constant rim leaks. The fun of having an old car.
    Still got almost 3 grand for it (over 20 years old).

I also used it as a tractor, pulling out tree stumps.
    My current 4WD every day drive is a 2003 Toyota Troopcarrier. Nearly 19 years old, and if I didn't get $20G for it if I sold it, I wouldn't be trying.. 1HDFTE 4.2L with factory turbo are very sought after, and the body is in very good nick.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    To be fair though, and it probably ties in with not enough details, it doesn't show the tow vehicle using the tow ball as the anchor point (even though it's obviously attached near that area)

The guy doing the recovery may be using a "tow hitch recovery point" (google it) or even just the tow hitch pin in the receiver to attach the snatch strap. Bot of these methods are safe to do.

That's my point ~ he may be using proper equipment, and you & I might know about same, and the proper way to go about recovery....but....

...if one knows nothing about such things, not even enough to google it first or get some 4WD training....and they just see that ad ....what's their likely conclusion going to be?

This -->