Thread: Smoke alarms in Queensland (AS 3786-2014)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Smoke alarms in Queensland (AS 3786-2014)

Hi all
    like to talk about the new smoke alarms that are interconnected. I'm a X electrician that gave my job away after getting a major injury that stop me working till today.
    We have in our house 5 HARD WIRED old ionisation sensor that have been there for at least 8 years so I'm thinking about replacing them with the new Photoelectric type smoke detectors. I have been looking for a few brands and have noticed some brands need to cut a large hole in you ceiling but I don't like that as to cut a hole up too 75 mm diameter hole in the plaster and in the future you need to replace them say in 8-10 years you are left with hole as no doubt the newer future detectors will need no hole or a very small hole to fit them.
    As a example the CLIPSAL-755PFM4 has a ugly butt to hide so you need to cut the plaster to let it in the ceiling.

What do you think about the Wireless one like.

Any more info appreciated

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Why I don't use hardwired smoke alarms:

A fire could melt the insulation somewhere in the house on the circuit where the are connected and trip the RCD breaker. Electrical fires are the most common source of fire so the risk of a breaker tripping is highly likely.
    And if it needs a battery as backup then whats the point of 240V anyway.

Both ionisation AND photoelectric are recommended(despite the claim in your link). All the much cheaper ones I use from department stores work fine and don't need any holes cut out.
    Woolies has one with built in 10 year Li-ion battery I think for $40, which would be about the cost of 10 Duracell 9V blocks alone.

Wireless makes sense if you want to remotely detect a fire in the garage but I see no need to buy 7.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-08-22 at 11:46 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-08-22),Tiny (03-08-22)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

A fire could melt the insulation somewhere in the house on the circuit where the are connected and trip the RCD breaker. Electrical fires are the most common source of fire so the risk of a breaker tripping is highly likely.

Both ionisation AND photoelectric are recommended(despite the claim in your link). All the much cheaper ones I use from department stores work fine and don't need any holes cut out.
    Woolies has one with built in 10 year Li-ion battery I think for $40, which would be about the cost of 10 Duracell 9V blocks alone.

Wireless makes sense if you want to remotely detect a fire in the garage but I see no need to buy 7.
    Yes our house is a pig to run wires, about 40% is hard to get to + Sarking under the tiles and I wont cut it, not impossible to run wires but hard and if i need to do hard wired I will do it in Winter, So I will have to run 1.5MM Sq for the Active and Neutral and one control wire so all Smoke detectors.
    Now Wired is the second choice so I will stick to RF and try to get the best available for my dollar. We have 5 Bedroom in the house, 3 tv rooms, and I can go through at least 8 as it stands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Yes my friend house in Sydney was destroyed by fire and he had the best wired system but it did not go off. The Finding was exactly what you have stated.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

gulliver (03-08-22)