Thread: Toshiba Sattelite P70-A Part No:PSPLPA-01C002 Service Manual

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default Toshiba Sattelite P70-A Part No:PSPLPA-01C002 Service Manual

Does anyone have access to one for this model? Toshiba are less than forthcoming with service manuals these days. Son gifted me his old lappy whilst I was in Darwin. It's a nice and powerful device, but the User manual, which is readily available, does not give enough info as to the hardware setup. From my understanding the device has 16GB RAM expandable up to 32Gb but there appear to be two DDR4? slots available. It also has two Sata ports but the spec tends to indicate there is also 16Gb SSD cache but cannot determine where it is or if it is upgradeable or which SATA port is which.

I've just installed W10 to a SSD (currently only one drive installed as last time I attempted to install the OS's (win & linux) to the smaller of the two (mechanical) drives and I only discovered tonight that somehow it got installed to the 1TB data drive, so that has been removed for now. Since I've installed Windows it, now, won't let me into BIOS but that that is a problem that a service manual might answer. (usually <F12> at Boot works)

Aaaarrrgh! At least windows works! (so far)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks

I need to replace the speakers in this beastie so I do need to find my way into it. Has anyone god any suggestions?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Teardown

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks wotnot. Not quite what I was looking for, but this is better than nothing!

LSemmens
    Thanks

Again, Thanks mate, that covers 99% of what I was looking for and the other 1% I can probably work out once it is apart. The specs in the user manual don't mention the mSata port or actual RAM capacity. I guessed that there was an mSata port when I moved the HDDs around. Not that the User manual specified that there were two Sata slots or 4 memory slots. Come to think of it, the UM doesn't even mention any useful info at all, mainly regulatory gobbledegook.

Premium Member
    Thanks

There used to be a good resource for this stuff, but sadly.....(read for yourself) ->

There were (at least) a dozen different variations of the chassis, damn toshiba for being a cunch of bunts =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Since I've installed Windows it, now, won't let me into BIOS but that that is a problem that a service manual might answer. (usually <F12> at Boot works)

Aaaarrrgh! At least windows works! (so far)
    You ARE aware that you have to now enter BIOS through windows ? !

Even if you know about UEFI boot it might not hurt to read this, could point you in the right direction, in particular fast startup :

You can still try hammering the F2 key(not F12) on power up, there may be split second when it will accept it. Need to repeat the power up a few times and you might get lucky.

Page 6-4 of the USER MANUAL will show how if it does not work:

I don't understand what they mean with the "settings charm" which seems to be the key to all issues in that manual. I don't have time to read it all or this laptop to check things out. Maybe you can figure that one out.

A big trap is that Windows might not be shutting down properly but hibernates, make sure it is REALLY shut down before any attempts to enter BIOS.

Clearing the BIOS CMOS could be the last resort, but I don't know if this guide is generic to cover your model but it shows what you need to look for:

Good luck
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-10-22 at 12:19 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

'charm' = icon/widget (search user manual for 'charm' =)

They still maintain a BIOS info page -->

LSemmens
    Thanks

Thanks Fester I now know how to get into BIOS w/out windwoes. And, yes, I am running in UEFI. Takes a couple of attempts sometimes, but no biggie.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Finally the bits arrived for the upgrade, now all I need do is re-assemble the beastie. 'Nother silly question, though, If anyone can find a MOBO layout for this identifying all connectors, I'd love to know what this one is for. It looks like an m2 SATA connector and it lives right next to the SATA connector but is hidden by the case. The specs don't even list the additional SATA ports on this MOBO, I know it has two SATA III ports and a an MSATA port but this one defies my sleuthing skills Tha machien is approx 8 years old, so I suspect that it is actually m2 SATA and there is no provision for mounting a drive if it did plug in there. You know what they say about curiosity, Am I being a CAT?
    ANYWAY Piccie of said port here
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Thanks

Optical drive connector 8^)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Duh! That had occurred to me after I posted but got side tracked with a problem loading Windows on my new drive. It would get as far as setup and then shut down. Strangely enough I could boot into Linux. both from USB sticks and the drive looked ok. ( noticed the case was getting a little warm in one area, and thought that the heat sinks were not seated properly. Pulled the machine apart again, and added more compound to the suspect components only to find that I'd forgotted to plug the fan in again. Duh!!! Note to self "Don't forget to plug in the system fan when you play around with the MOBO!!!!" Winders is happily loading now. I'll wait until that finishes then I shall re-assemble the laptop for the last time! (Until next time, that is).
    Last edited by lsemmens; 14-10-22 at 06:38 PM.