Thread: IT jobs going backwards

Thanks

Default IT jobs going backwards

Hi

I have been looking at IT helpdesk level 2 and level 3 roles again and i have noticed the money they are now offering for the roles is far less than even in 2018 when i took a similar role. the wages seem to be between 50k and 70k now, back in 2018 wages for similar roles started at 65k and ranged up to 90k. a year ago they where up higher and went from 70k to 100k

Why are there such a big drop off in wages in this sector especially considering cost of living has gone through the roof?

one thing i find interesting is the companies offering the lowest wages seem to be MSPs

Perhaps i should consider re-skilling into a different field.

Look Here ->
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I would suggest to look into cybersecurity and network engineering, rather than product support that is often outsourced to cheap labour countries.

IT jobs are certainly NOT going backwards with demand far outpacing availability of workers in Australia:

Start here for the different sectors and what they earn and all the shown other sectors earn more than support :
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzy View Post
    Why are there such a big drop off in wages in this sector especially considering cost of living has gone through the roof?.
    The modern world does not appreciate people with technical skills. Allowing huge numbers of immigrants in is helping to keep wages down, which is what many vested interests want to happen. When employer groups demand more immigration, because they can’t hire suitable people, what they are saying is: “we can’t find highly skilled people that someone else has trained up for us and who will work for peanuts”.

My employer recently advertised exactly the sort of position you describe. There were 230 applicants. Ticking the box “Australian permanent residency” reduced that to thirteen. I rest my case.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

eaglem (06-09-22),shagga66 (07-09-22),TVguy (06-09-22),VroomVroom (06-09-22)

• 10-10-22, 04:37 AM