Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

The anthem 'God Save the Queen' will mean something one way or another, to the peoples of the Commonwealth countries and beyond.

With the passing of QEII now giving more reverence to my ears, when listening to my favourite rendition of 'God Save the Queen', I find it curious to think as a school boy in 60's Australia, I was singing this song at school assembly.

I am unaware if there's any record on what Lizzi thought about Fripp's rendition, or even if she heard it, but I do hope she approves =)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Even having been told what the music was supposed to be ... I can't for the life of me hear any resemblance to God Save The Queen.

Fond memories of school life in the 60's... other than the milk we had to drink after it had been outside in the summer heat for a while.
    Please consider Premium Membership. Without Premium Member contributions Austech cannot operate.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Keith (04-10-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

As per the wikipedia for that song, "The track 'God Save the Queen' bears little resemblance to the British national anthem, although it is based on the opening notes of that tune. It was inspired by a comment from an audience member, who suggested that, as the performance was taking place on the tenth anniversary of the Woodstock Festival in August 1979, Fripp should reprise Jimi Hendrix's performance of 'The Star-Spangled Banner'".

Oh my, doesn't that seem like so long ago now ~ plain, chocolate or strawberry, used to be in small glass bottles with tinfoil caps, and you'd flick them between two fingers and make them fly like little frisbees, and then along came cardboard tretrapaks and spoiled all the fun...under they got hotter in the sun sitting in milk crates waiting for the little lunch bell....they were nice times, as you say, fondly remembered -- deaths of 'icons' such as this, give us all pause to reminisce in the past and times they and you were part of...regardless of whether you're a royalist or not. IMHO anyhow...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I hear the resemblance, but did not listen beyond the opening bars. I'd rather go back and listen to Gangster's Paradise.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Hadn't heard that Fripp rendition before.
    I did have exactly the same TEAC machine though, well actually I convinced the band to buy it first, then paid their share out to sell it and get the Tascam 4 tracker, that I still have today.

This version of God Save the Queen was buzzing around my ears at the time more often, I always considered the Sex Pistols comedians:

Yeah the famous milk at school in the '60, always loved to slurp the cream on top (non of that homogenised crap back then), then it came in cardboard pyramids as well as the mess to clean them up. Unlike the bottles there was no recycling.
    I didn't have much fun at school but I did volunteer for incinerator duty to burn up the pyramids at the back of the school, which I enjoyed doing.
    I also liked to hide under the prefabs (which we called the classrooms) and catch scorpions, nobody stopped me, so that was fun until others got curious so I started a spy club. Pretty serious with tough entry tasks to become a member and advance, which of course I did not do because I thought them up, but my 'henchmen' enjoyed the challenges and literally asked for more.
    Honestly I can't remember a thing I learned at school, too busy with my side tracks
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• 10-10-22, 04:30 AM

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12