Thread: Music server

Thanks

Default Music server

hi guys

I'm after some info/ideas regarding a Music Server. I'm de wifi ing my house and so am getting rid of Sonos (sick of the updates and being held ransom to my own music collectcion)

So, I have a dedicated PC Computer (can change to Linux based if required). My music files will either be on this computer or on my Nas drive. The computer will not be connected to the internet. The computer is connected to my Denon music system via an optical cable. What I am trying to achieve is to install a music player on the PC (currrently using Winamp) so I can play my music on this, which is currrently working fine, but, I also want an app of some sort so that I can choose my music to play on the computer, not on my mobile device.

Winamp have a compatible app (very buggy) called AmpWifi which I have started to use, but it has issues sorting my music library into suitable folders.

Using the above scenario, can anyone suggest ways to achieve this

Cheers

Paul

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if you have a PI laying around there are some really good dedicated setups for just that only
    need to add a DAC unit between the pi and amp.

I have used volumio in the past with a Pi and just had a quick look and it also has a windows based version

Last edited by fandtm666; 10-09-22 at 12:21 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (10-09-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Personally... I concluded I didn't need more than 128gb of my favourite music 'on hand' at all times, so I filled a sdcard with just that much, and use one of my old android phones to pipe signal via BT or 3.5mm patch cable to the audio amp. 'Jukebox in the palm of your hand', take it with me in the car, friend's places...it's quite handy, and easy to change content, as easy as swapping sdcards....I mean, seriously, how many hours on one's favourite music do you need access to at whim at any one time? Likewise, I've never seen the point in having a NAS to store all my music, in an immediately accessible way....and as I've found out over the years, folks tend to treat their NAS as their backup device...without holding contingency for hardware storage device failure...or worse, having the NAS stolen in a house burglary (happened to a friend of mine), engulfed by house fire, flood, water damage. I mean, seriously...myself as a person who used doing RA work, the number of failed NAS units that had become that because of insect damage/ingress, or NAS' with dead drives in them 'coz the cooling fan had failed...some ppl never think to change the oil in their car ; it's the same effect =) I've had drives fail in a NAS 'for no reason', it's never fun...it's so much not fun, it prompts me to type this para. If you've got everything backed up, archived as it were, then all good --- but keep in mind, my friend who had their NAS full of music stolen in a B&E? They still faced the unenviable task of having to digitize their entire CD & vinyl music collection into digital format, all over again.....that'd suck so bad...

fandtm666's following the same tack I would ; be it a RPi or a PC, you want to turn these devices into 'appliances' as it were, not think of it like running this or that software, ontop of this or that OS.

Volumio is a possible choice, you might also check out max2play -->

Thanks

For my music i personally built a juke box and its running fruit box.As for the playlist i have it that what ever is on the usb
    stick when i boot up thats what it plays.
    Last edited by fandtm666; 10-09-22 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    if you have a PI laying around there are some really good dedicated setups for just that only
    need to add a DAC unit between the pi and amp.

I have used volumio in the past with a Pi and just had a quick look and it also has a windows based version

PI?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by securityalarmguy64 View Post
    PI?
    Raspberry pi , the pi3 is better that the pi4 depending on apps you want to run