Thread: What shoes do you wear on a concrete tile Roof House.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default What shoes do you wear on a concrete tile Roof House.

I hope I got this in the correct forum. Like the title says What shoes do you wear on a concrete tile Roof for safety. Ten or more years ago I use to fit antenna's on houses and used steel cap safety shoes (Broke a few tiles). Now I have been told that they can break tiles easier with newer concrete tiles roofing so what do you think that I should buy for CONCRETE TILE Roofing only for today's roofing.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Lol. It's not what your wear on your feet. More important, is how you walk on the tiles & how much you weigh can make a big difference.
    I only weigh 72kg for context.
    Walk softly grasshopper; like you are walking on rice paper without making a mark.

I have a concrete tile roof, it's 30+ years old & I have lived here for 28 of those years. I walk on the roof a couple of times a year to check for storm damage, as I live in the mountains where the weather gets crazy sometimes.
    I wear Blunstone steel cap work boots & I have never broken a tile by walking on them, I just take it slowly & spread the load across the tile.

~10 years ago we did an extension & I worked on the roof with the builder & his apprentice (apprentice weight estimated at 85kg). Neither me or the builder broke any tiles, yet the apprentice broke one almost every time he moved his feet. New tiles or old tiles, he could break them all. I told him to tread lightly, but he couldn't get it, just walked like an ogre, so I banned him from the roof after 1 hour & 10 tiles that I had to replace. Lucky I bought a whole pallet of tiles for the extension. Still have plenty leftover.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-09-22 at 06:40 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-09-22)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Tiny's right, it's not just about the shoes ...but that said ... ...the 'secret' as it were, is having a supple sole that easily conforms to the irregular tiled surface.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I've heard, and believe that it has merit that wet socks are the best for walking on tiled roofs. Of course OHS may have something to say about that. We used to love Dunlop Volleys for working in trees, again, OHS would have a hissy fit over that, too.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

shred (13-09-22),Softek2 (12-09-22)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    I've heard, and believe that it has merit that wet socks are the best for walking on tiled roofs. Of course OHS may have something to say about that. We used to love Dunlop Volleys for working in trees, again, OHS would have a hissy fit over that, too.
    I have been told that Volleys are the best to use if you can get them. I was going to say that but decided not to say that as I want to see what you guy think.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Valleys can still be bought, but they now cost as much as good sand shoes. Time was when they were the cheap option. IIRC Big W and Kmart still sell them.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Lol. It's not what your wear on your feet. More important, is how you walk on the tiles & how much you weigh can make a big difference.
    I only weigh 72kg for context.
    Walk softly grasshopper; like you are walking on rice paper without making a mark.

I have a concrete tile roof, it's 30+ years old & I have lived here for 28 of those years. I walk on the roof a couple of times a year to check for storm damage, as I live in the mountains where the weather gets crazy sometimes.
    I wear Blunstone steel cap work boots & I have never broken a tile by walking on them, I just take it slowly & spread the load across the tile.

~10 years ago we did an extension & I worked on the roof with the builder & his apprentice (apprentice weight estimated at 85kg). Neither me or the builder broke any tiles, yet the apprentice broke one almost every time he moved his feet. New tiles or old tiles, he could break them all. I told him to tread lightly, but he couldn't get it, just walked like an ogre, so I banned him from the roof after 1 hour & 10 tiles that I had to replace. Lucky I bought a whole pallet of tiles for the extension. Still have plenty leftover.

Hope that helps.
    When I said I have broke a few tiles its mainly the edge of the tile. Yes you are correct so if you put your foot in the top middle of the tile 99.99% of the time you wont break them but sometime shit happens as you forget or out of balance and accidentally walk on the edge. I weigh 77Kg..... Arghhhhh Rice paper like Kung Fooo the little Grasshopper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Valleys can still be bought, but they now cost as much as good sand shoes. Time was when they were the cheap option. IIRC Big W and Kmart still sell them.
    Yes off today to Kmart, and BigW or TARGET to see whats the best they have. Lucky all the three are in one shopping centre.

Thanks

have always worn volleys from when i was installing metal roof's or doing repairs on tile roof's
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And volleys I got from BIGW. I search every where to get Dunlop volleys but I could not find them on either BigW, KMart, and Target.
    Thanks all for your replies

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Make sure they have the rubber soles.
    The synthetic soles are slippery.

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    Make sure they have the rubber soles.
    The synthetic soles are slippery.
    Yes these ones are marked VOLLEYS and they are in rubber. I did no know they made VOLLEYS in synthetic rubber. Thanks

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5GRUBBISH View Post
    When I said I have broke a few tiles its mainly the edge of the tile. Yes you are correct so if you put your foot in the top middle of the tile 99.99% of the time you wont break them but sometime shit happens as you forget or out of balance and accidentally walk on the edge. I weigh 77Kg..... Arghhhhh Rice paper like Kung Fooo the little Grasshopper.
    The only time I ever broke tiles WAS stepping on the middle using steel capped work shoes. This may be related to the design of the tile and I have seen flat concrete tiles(like my neighbour has) which will crack no matter where you step.
    I always try to step near the middle of the FRONT edge where it overlaps the lower tile. The tile profile is thicker where the tile rounds off and the overlapped tile beneath it can also bear some of the load. This will also be where the batten is.
    Of course stay clear from the corners and sides of the tile.

I use my Nike Sock DART which is my also my day to day shoe for almost a decade. In that time I would have worn out 5 pairs of Dunlops from BigW which I used before that investment but mostly the comfort and lightness of these darts gives me a better feel of security and balance which I do NOT have with clumsy steel capped work shoes.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-09-22 at 11:51 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bare feet if its the morning or winter... Kidding. Sand shoes or sneakers. Stand in the middle of the tiles.. If you break a few there are some spares in the shed. If not silicon. Stop stressing!
    Last edited by cobra679; 04-10-22 at 02:06 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobra679 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (04-10-22)